Anyone else think QVC is selling more tacky + cheap things

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Glittergirl

Registered Shopper
Have watched QVC for many years and the past while have noticed some bad and fairly cheap looking stuff! Too many to mention individually but recent ornaments, bits and bobs, glove things that all matched and a hat thing with a pathetic looking thin scarf attached to it!!

None of them were particularly cheap. Our local markets/shops seem to sell much better things and at a fraction of the price too!

Normally a big fan, as bought many products over the years and had some very good bargains too. Does any see a decline in their products :mysmilie_5:

Definitely !
I quite often find myself shaking my head and wondering who on Earth buys some of the tat they sell ?
From so called fashion to cheap tacky looking jewellery and everything naff in between.

It's the lights and ornaments (garden and home) I find the most tacky of all. But Bethlehem lights etc seem to sell well so maybe it's just me but I wouldn't give those fake battery candles houseroom. And most of the YC ornament type holders are woeful, and not cheap.

Apart from a saucepan set and a couple of beauty TSV's I've not been tempted by anything from QVC for ages. The recent Molton Brown, L'Occitane and Philosophy TSV's have been really dull.

i like some of the home stuff. the mercury glass is lovely and some of them light up with the rice lights etc. if i go in marks and spencers and some of the other department stores they cost quite a bit more so sometimes qvc is better value.

It is so boring these days but I am so pleased I am saving so much money to spend in many more enjoyable & meaningful ways.(the penny has dropped at last) Nothing 'grabs' me any more even the Philosophy TSV is almost the same as last year ( which I bought) but am just not interested.Roll in the new customers because many of us 'oldies' have moved on.

QVC sell a lot of tat, to add insult to injury they charge more money than you'd pay anywhere else for it. QVC know they've got a loyal fan base and will take advantage of the fact. QVC know customers will continue to pay the added expense and extortionate p&p.

Last edited:
Tis the season when people will by any old tat, QVC is guilty of it but so are the major high street retailers. Crap stocking fillers that no-one ever really wants. I understand a surprise is nice and we should be grateful for every gift we receive, but there is so much money wasted on unwanted gifts.

Tis the season when people will by any old tat, QVC is guilty of it but so are the major high street retailers. Crap stocking fillers that no-one ever really wants. I understand a surprise is nice and we should be grateful for every gift we receive, but there is so much money wasted on unwanted gifts.

christmas generally is a time of waste. excess of everything food,drink, tatty gifts its the season of silliness. i dont buy that many gifts. two maybe three friends (normally beauty stuff) and my daughters and grandchildren and these gifts are not huge. its nice to have your family/friends for a lovely meal and watch tv/dvd/play music etc

There's only myself and OH at Christmas and we don't do big gifts (well I buy myself a couple of things, you know what I mean). One time OH's sister in law was 40 and we bought a very expensive gift and she got so much stuff she was sorting out which ones were going to the charity shop STRAIGHT AFTER SHE'D OPENED THEM!!! In front of us as well. What a waste of money for the people that bought those gifts in good faith.

I think QVC always sells utter tat but there are things I buy. We always get a good laugh at some of the carp Gill Gauntlett and Gabby bring on at huge prices - but you know what, they sell out, so the buyers must know their stuff.

CC

Gosh yes! QVC should rename itself 'tat city' at the moment. I haven't bought a thing for ages, even my loved beauty TSVs as they have been nothing special. Part of me is disappointed but the other half is pleased as l am actually saving! I must admit l love watching at this time of year to see the nasty cheap looking stuff that they are selling at an extortionate price. Half of it looks like its come from Poundland!

And how cheap and tacky do those giftmate gift bags look? To me they scream ' couldn't care less'. I love giving a beautifully wrapped gift but l know it can be hard for some people so l suppose they may have to use these. I Just don't think they look anything like as classy as Jill Gauntlet keeps saying. They would be a last resort for me!

you cant beat a nicely wrapped gift in lovely glossy paper, ribbon and gift tags all for pennies after christmas. i go to all theposh shops to get the better quality and the nicest christmas cards all cheap as chips

Gosh yes! QVC should rename itself 'tat city' at the moment. I haven't bought a thing for ages, even my loved beauty TSVs as they have been nothing special. Part of me is disappointed but the other half is pleased as l am actually saving! I must admit l love watching at this time of year to see the nasty cheap looking stuff that they are selling at an extortionate price. Half of it looks like its come from Poundland![/Q

so you wi;; be buying the frozen snowglobe for £39 then :mysmilie_466:

I bought a slanket recently from QVC because it was cheaper than anywhere else, but a lot of what they sell now is tat. The Q has gone, the V has gone, and the C - did it ever exist?

you cant beat a nicely wrapped gift in lovely glossy paper, ribbon and gift tags all for pennies after christmas. i go to all theposh shops to get the better quality and the nicest christmas cards all cheap as chips

Yes l do the same and absolutely agree with you. I really put a lot of love into wrapping my presents and l know people appreciate it. I use ribbons, baubles, sparkly flowers and all sorts to decorate. They are all things that can be put on the tree and are a little gift in themselves.

Oh I hate gift wrapping. I have 2 left arms as well as 2 left feet. I have tried many times to wrap things nicely and have failed miserably, they always look like the cat`s been trying to open them. I did buy the giftmate bags one year, from Amazon, not Q and I found most of the sizes were too small for anything but the smallest of gifts such as jewellery or perfume.

Any time I get anything in a "posh" bag, whatever the brand (good quality heavy paper/card) I keep them by for gifts. I also pick up stuff in the sales - I've got some larger bags I bought when reduced in IKEA in the post-Christmas sales. Then I also keep any tissue paper I get things in (and buy some as well). Most of my giftwrapping therefore involves these things. No sellotape, no scissors. Scrunch up some tissue paper to nest the item on, wrap some around the item, then scrunch some over the top for smaller things. For larger things, I just scrunch it over the top of the gift. Easy to wrap and also to unwrap - very useful for those without nimble fingers: young and old.

Occasionally I do the proper wrapping - good quality paper, double-sided tape and real ribbon... but not often, as it takes hours to do a small number of gifts.

I certainly don't intend to let QVC put their hands in my pocket for gift wrapping.

Tissue paper is fab for quick and easy wrapping. I buy it in silver and gold and it looks lovely. I also recycle every gift bag l am given and reuse them. As well as buying stuff in the sales l collect bits and bobs to use to decorate gifts throughout the year. It helps that l enjoy wrapping but totally understand you would buy gift mate bags or similar if you couldn't be bothered.

Latest posts

Back