are QVC ripping us off ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

mak

Registered Shopper
hi guys

its good to be back and able to vent:mad:

if its been covered while i was off line sorry

why in a time when so many people are struggling in this recession and those who are have spare money are spending more wisely do QVC decide to ;

increase prices
charge more for items than QVC US { allowing for conversion }
not have more easy pay
continue to charge high P&P costs

we are being ripped off on a daily basis concidering they can sell items on clearance and one time only's and still make a profit even if it is not the usual high percentage.

suppose we have to for the flash lifestyles of the presenters and the flash QVC building

Rant over

I really don't think that they are, being a conscientious shopper is our job though

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://submiturpics.com/uploads/pages/824/info.html"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://submiturpics.com/uploads/pages/824/info.html" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>

I really don't think that they are, being a conscientious shopper is our job though

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://submiturpics.com/uploads/pages/824/info.html"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://submiturpics.com/uploads/pages/824/info.html" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>

I agree - they might be ripping us off if they were misleading us, or if they were selling food/food/other essentials and hiking the price but we live in a free market economy. It is up to the sellers to charge what they think they can get (after all they are a business not a charity) and up to potential buyers to consider carefully everything before we purchase. Hasn't one of the problems with the credit crunch been that, in addition to banks offering ridiculous loans to people who might struggle to pay it back, that people have spent, spent, spent or accepted huge loans in the vague hope that somehow they will come into money/win the lottery before they get into trouble over paying it back?
I'm not having a go at those people in particular, and I have enormous sympathy for the strife in which they now find themselves as well as acknowledging that the banks have a huge part to play, but I bet few of them have been forced into taking on those debts.
QVC are a business, they can charge what they like, it is up to us to decide whether we want to pay that much. I don't think this constitutes ripping us off?

I heard on the radio that shopping channels are being hit really hard at the moment. it's a tough one, they need to make the money to keep people there in jobs, but at the same time they need to offer us some really good deals to get us to spend - like the supermarkets do. I think if they are to survive they have to start piling it high and selling it cheap and maybe advertising in the press some super deals to get people watching. i'd love to go in as an adviser!

QVC can be pretty competitive with pricing on various ranges, yet others will come out roughly the same as other retailers and on occasion they will be slightly higher. This is absolutely up to the viewer/buyer to work out. I think that sometimes QVC provides incredibly compelling sales people to encourage a sale and so it is natural that there are times when we may feel that we have been duped into purchasing something that does not live up to its promise. However, to be fair, in that instance, there is the 30 day money back guarantee. When I have overspent...and I have, to my shame, it has been a due to a combination of having a bit too much free time and spending it watching Alison Young and not taking advantage of returning products...this is completly my fault and I cannot argue with AY or QVC for doing a good job!

However, one thing I would love QVC to do is to reduce the packaging and hopefully the costs associated with it. This is not due to the credit crunch, it is more of an ecological argument, but the present economic climate could be the perfect excuse and of course they could pass on these savings to us which would make us all feel a little appreciated!

Therefore, I do think it is our responsibility - QVC could do more in areas which would cost them nothing/very little, but ultimately, they are not doing anything wrong. They can sail pretty close to the wind with certain claims, but they never cross the line. Anyone really unhappy with their purchase history (and I think most of us have been at one time or another) should reconsider their motivation for purchasing and adjust it accordingly, watch less of the channel (and allow the spell to be broken!)|...and ideally use the 30 day money-back guarantee!

QVC can be pretty competitive with pricing on various ranges, yet others will come out roughly the same as other retailers and on occasion they will be slightly higher. This is absolutely up to the viewer/buyer to work out. I think that sometimes QVC provides incredibly compelling sales people to encourage a sale and so it is natural that there are times when we may feel that we have been duped into purchasing something that does not live up to its promise. However, to be fair, in that instance, there is the 30 day money back guarantee. When I have overspent...and I have, to my shame, it has been a due to a combination of having a bit too much free time and spending it watching Alison Young and not taking advantage of returning products...this is completly my fault and I cannot argue with AY or QVC for doing a good job!

However, one thing I would love QVC to do is to reduce the packaging and hopefully the costs associated with it. This is not due to the credit crunch, it is more of an ecological argument, but the present economic climate could be the perfect excuse and of course they could pass on these savings to us which would make us all feel a little appreciated!

Therefore, I do think it is our responsibility - QVC could do more in areas which would cost them nothing/very little, but ultimately, they are not doing anything wrong. They can sail pretty close to the wind with certain claims, but they never cross the line. Anyone really unhappy with their purchase history (and I think most of us have been at one time or another) should reconsider their motivation for purchasing and adjust it accordingly, watch less of the channel (and allow the spell to be broken!)|...and ideally use the 30 day money-back guarantee!

I couldn't agree more! Since discovering this website I feel like I've woken up to QVC and how easily I was duped into buying certain things. i never bought lots to be honest and I've always sent back things I wasn't happy with but as you say, it's like a spell. You get suckered into thinking you HAVE to have a certain item and that you are part of some exclusive club if you do. Now I just don't watch anymore and when I do it's recorded so anything I'm tempted by is sold out before I could buy it anyway!

I do think it's very much up to customer to be more savvy and try and see through a lot of the hype and panic created by QVC to make you buy. But then, that's what they are there to do so I don't think you can blame them for it. I do think people who aren't internet savvy are at a disadvantage though as it's so much harder to find alternative sources for all those products that are apparently 'exclusive' to QVC in the UK. Like Smashbox (NOT!!! Stop saying it is!!!)

Tx

P&P

Have to say that QVC's P&P rates are pretty good when compared with other channels. Jewellery is the easiest comparison and they charge the least for a single item. Gems Tv charge extra to the Isle of Wight which is spectacularly ridiculous and stopped me buying much from them unless it's free P&P. GTV and R&C win out when it comes to multiple items though, as they only charge once in 24 hours. Won't even bother to mention bid tv's charges.

I think since the credit crunch and having to tighten our belts that consumers are definitely looking for bargains and are more prepared to put in some research to find the best possible price for what they want to buy. Those of us lucky enough to have internet access can easily check comparison websites to get the best deal but I feel sorry for those folk who may be housebound and with no internet who rely on shopping channels for their purchases.
The alternative I suppose is catalogue shopping, but again, in my experience the prices seem to be vastly inflated compared to buying on the high street.

I think since the credit crunch and having to tighten our belts that consumers are definitely looking for bargains and are more prepared to put in some research to find the best possible price for what they want to buy. Those of us lucky enough to have internet access can easily check comparison websites to get the best deal but I feel sorry for those folk who may be housebound and with no internet who rely on shopping channels for their purchases.
The alternative I suppose is catalogue shopping, but again, in my experience the prices seem to be vastly inflated compared to buying on the high street.

I agree those without internet access might be at a disadvantage, but for QVC to be ripping us off? I just think it's up to us to buy or not, depending on whether we want to/or can pay that much! If QVC start cutting back prices, who's to say that will increase income? It might do quite the opposite and put the jobs of those who work there (most, of course not presenters) in jeapoardy. Not all employers are fat cats, some are, of course, but why would anyone bother having a business if they weren't able to make anything out of it?

A really interesting thread and some great replies.

On thing I must say when comparisons are being made with the US that none of the US Sites actually include their sales tax, so you always have to add that one. We of course don't have sales tax - we have VAT. Therefore you can automatically add on 15% to all those US prices.

Only businesses which trade at over £65,000 (so around £175 per day - and that also includes postage costs) have to be registered for VAT - any large seller not charging VAT is dodgy in the extreme and one of the checks of a legitmate business is whether they are VAT registered.

Re packaging - it is an excellent point and over packaged goods are a bane - it is very difficult to pack well and not risk damage to products though.

Yes Jayne, I was thinking about American sales tax which is different for each state believe it or not. New York is one of the highest I do know.

I said before that QVC America have now started including a return pre paid label with their items. The shipping is then taken out of your refund, and it is a higher charge than posting it yourself. The norm for small items is $6.95 which it only cost $4.95 to send out in the first place. I am waiting for that one to come here.

Also agreed that the other shopping channels do charge outragous shipping to post to say Northern Ireland or the highlands of Scotland. I did buy from Gemstv but once they upped the shipping to Belfast from £5.95 to £12 and now £10.95 I just refused to buy anymore.

Where QVC do good is beauty TSVs usually, but sometimes not. I did order the L'Occitane duo Shea Butter Body Lotion 500mls each last Friday, now I have seen them at £25 each in the L'Occitane shop. But QVC did two for £30.32 and even with shipping came out much cheaper than buying from the shop. Oh and they arrived yesterday, very good time wise with the Easter holidays. Even the packaging was compact for a change.

Another thing is QVC still take cheques and postal orders which is very rare these days.

But they need to rethink the easy pay and give it out more for everyone and not just emails to random customers. Perhaps one shipping cost for multi items bought in the one day not just the same colour and size.

Where QVC do good is beauty TSVs usually, but sometimes not. I did order the L'Occitane duo Shea Butter Body Lotion 500mls each last Friday, now I have seen them at £25 each in the L'Occitane shop. But QVC did two for £30.32 and even with shipping came out much cheaper than buying from the shop. Oh and they arrived yesterday, very good time wise with the Easter holidays. Even the packaging was compact for a change.

Another thing is QVC still take cheques and postal orders which is very rare these days.

But they need to rethink the easy pay and give it out more for everyone and not just emails to random customers. Perhaps one shipping cost for multi items bought in the one day not just the same colour and size.

Just got my L'Occitane body lotions and it's a fantastic bargain- even with the p&p. I think you just have to be a canny shopper these days and not just at QVC. There are bargains to be had, if you look.

And I hate, loathe and detest it when firms slap on higher charges for N Ireland, we are part of the UK too! At least QVC are not guilty of that.

The courier who delivered the body lotions remarked that he hadn't been here in a while so I must have curtailed my spending, lol ;)

Last edited:
I read the opening post and agree with most of your replies. There are good buys to be had if you look.

The sellers only offers the product - the rest is up to the buyer. Any business is going to try to maximise its profits otherwise they would be called charities! (Come to think of it many charities are businesses too in reality nowadays but with the tax break...) The trick is not to alienate the customer in the process and especially with the growth of internet shopping QVC has a tough time making it's P&P look reasonable.

In their defense QVC has much, much higher cost bases than most internet only stores but definitely needs to pass on the costs in a less transparent way probably to keep the customer feeling happy.

Latest posts

Back