Are TSV prices legal?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

stratobuddy

Registered Shopper
I know that shops can't advertise a reduced price unless it has been on offer at a higher price for at least 28 days.

So it is a bit puzzling why QVC can offer TSV items as a "reduced from the normal QVC price" when in most cases they've never sold the item before.

But here is the real illegal thing in my opinion - - - - >

When they plug the TSV they say things like "Save £23 off the normal QVC price of £173" which is what they said for the Prestigio. But actually they say the same sort of thing for all the TSV's.

Then you find that they appear the next day at an introductory price, which is a lot cheaper than the QVC price they kept going on and on about.

So they keep saying (for example) you HAVE to buy it today to save £23, it will be £23 more tomorrow. But almost invariably THIS IS A BLATANT LIE. For the Prestigio, for example, it was only a saving of £10, not £23.

How do they get away with this?

Good question I have wondered this for a while. Both the recent Elemis and Thorntons TSV have done the same. Both have come back at an introductory price for only £3 more than the TSV price.

M&S do it with their "Introductory Prices", back in the 80s when I worked there we regularly priced, then peeled off those stickers and repriced stuff on an almost weekly basis. The geniune sale rules do require an item to be on sale for a set number of days in a set number of branches, however intro prices, "special purchase" and other retailing tricks are also ok. There are TSVs that sell out and are never sold again (at any price). There used to be a shop int Blackpool that had a "Clothing Down" sale continously for about 15 years...Caveat Emptor..holiday-makers love to think they're getting a bargain!

Jude xx

The thing with the Beauty TSVs are they are kit made especially for QVC, and they go on about the individual items and their price. Overtime the kits do go up to the price they had stated, it can be up to 12 airings before they move up from the intro price.

Technically its not a reduced or a sale at all. A TSV is sold at a special price for one day only (which incidentally is not necessarily the cheapest it will ever be- look at the Veronese Popcorn watch).

The law relates to stuff in the sale, so all clearance would have to have been sold at a higher price first.

This is a good reason not to get sucked into having to buy it on TSV day.
Think about it - take your time - if there's stock left it will almost always be back at introductory price by which time you may have realised you don't need it anyway!

This is a good reason not to get sucked into having to buy it on TSV day.
Think about it - take your time - if there's stock left it will almost always be back at introductory price by which time you may have realised you don't need it anyway!

makes a lot of sense.

The issues raised in this thread are new to me, never thought about it before but interesting. I'm assuming that QVC do work within the law but will, (and quite rightly so for a retail business) exploit all possibilities as to pricing, intro offers, TSV, super bargain, OTO's, summer surprises, clearance etc.

The thing with the Beauty TSVs are they are kit made especially for QVC, and they go on about the individual items and their price. Overtime the kits do go up to the price they had stated, it can be up to 12 airings before they move up from the intro price.

and it's still never even close to the 'value' they attach to it. usually about a 1/4. all part of the tsv hype people fall for. they really think they're getting £200 worth even though the usual price of £53 is there on the screen!

I'd imagine that Q's Legal team have this covered completely. In today's world it would be very difficult for a company of their size to get away with anything not legal, particularly with the amount of people that are aware of them and use them. No doubt it's all in the 'fine print' :)

But if you want a mascara because you love it, why would you pay the individual, or the duo, or the pack of 6 price if the TSV has 3 at £3.66 a piece? Especially if you also like the majority of the other items in the kit.

I did not buy the Elemis TSV because I do not use Elemis. I bought the Emma Hardie because I use each and every product, until it is empty. I bought the Mally because I use the brand, 80% for me and 20% in christmas gifts where I there was a gap in my Christmas list for the person concerned, which would have cost me £15-£20 to fill.

I know the TSV's are cleverly targeted and cleverly priced. But please do not tar us all with the same brush if we buy. Some of us actually want, need and use the items and just want to save money if we would go for it anyway. True in my case anyway. I'm done with buying every TSV, done with jewellery, have 2 sets of bedding, have got my beauty budget for the year sorted.

My challenge to myself for 2013- I can buy Emma Hardie products. In December 2013 I can buy Mally as I will need more mascara at least. In December 2013 I can buy some more shampoo. If my husband runs out of skinwash he can have it. Whether I can stick to that remains to be seen!

That's ok if you can stand the depressing experience that is shopping in Lidl.

Nothing wrong with Lidl! I used to be a serious shop snob and would shop in waitrose and m&s thinking it was the best but I find some of the products in lidl to be as good as and in a lot of cases better than brands - its just from germany (I think). Dont knock it till you've tried it!

Lidl's perfume for £3.99 won a blind survey against....CHANNEL! (Daily Mail had the article recently). I'm off to get mine when I'm next passing there! :wave:

The Elemis TSV showed what a farce the prices are, when its now on sale at only over £3.00 or something more than the TSV price. Like all their
recent TSV'S they're not selling out, so they have loads left to sell, even selling them in the jewellery shows. What a disaster they have on their hands, so
the prices are probably legal, but laughable IMO

Nothing wrong with Lidl! I used to be a serious shop snob and would shop in waitrose and m&s thinking it was the best but I find some of the products in lidl to be as good as and in a lot of cases better than brands - its just from germany (I think). Dont knock it till you've tried it!

Yes, I have tried it, thanks. Hated it and have never known such depressed and miserable staff. The store arrived near me (2 mins' walk from my house) about 7 years ago and my first visit a few months ago - for some tape which turned out to be absolutely useless - put me off for good. And it stank. Each to their own.

The Lidl up the road from my parents former home, in North Dorset, was fine, but the one I made a special effort to go to in Oxford was horrible, no where near as pleasant an experience, I doubt I will ever go back, Aldi, also in Oxford, on the other hand, is somewhere I head to as often as I can get there, Sidney, loves the cat "sticks" he won't come out of the living room at bedtime without one, I like the skincare and chocolate.

I like Lidl too, it is far cheaper and the quality is very good we get tinned stuff like chopped tomatos, locally grown veg, sensitive baby wipes that come in bigger packs and are far cheaper (80p ish) than any other brand including boots and supermarket own. The nappies are half the price of the main brands and work very well- and we get through a lot of nappies and wipes in our family! Lidl dishwasher tablets and limescale tablets gor the washing machine ( we live in a hard water area) are effective and much cheaper than other supermarkets. We find the more daily essentials we get there as part of our main shop saves us around £30-£40 on our shopping. The food tastes good too, and our cat likes the cat food!

Yes, I have tried it, thanks. Hated it and have never known such depressed and miserable staff. The store arrived near me (2 mins' walk from my house) about 7 years ago and my first visit a few months ago - for some tape which turned out to be absolutely useless - put me off for good. And it stank. Each to their own.

I think we are lucky here because my nearest Lidl received a revamp and extension last year and it is fab now and the staff are all very pleasant. Try the tinned peaches - they are gorgeous and nicer than any other brand imo!

Last edited:
I've done it Weathergirl ... used up my stash that is. Took me nearly 18 months to use up every last scrap. I was able to replenish certain things after about six months. In my case though I had odd pots of this that and the other and it really made me rethink what I bought and used. I no longer stockpile and actually I don't buy beauty TSVs any more either. I only buy what I want and need. I don't Elemis body lotion anymore because the Garnier one at £1.99 is just as good. I do still buy PCMC but I am using that up now before moving on to Immortelle.

Having used all the tut I had bought I've learnt to appreciate the products I really love. Good luck with it. It was tough going at times but it has really cut down my beauty spending dramatically and I have nothing here half used or unloved.

Latest posts

Back