ASA Complaint - Misleading Advertising

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I could see QVC saying that they actually don't go against what they say on TV. If you buy an item then they allow you to return it in 30 days.

What QVC are doing is blocking people from buying from them again if QVC feel that they return so much there is no profit to make.

So they are not going against what they say just stopping you from buying - which any company is allowed to do.

Alan are you being deliberately obtuse or do you have a real problem with understanding what my ASA complaint is about?? You keep banging on about QVC closing my account but that is nothing to do with the ASA and nothing to do with my complaint to them. I will explain to you once more and in simple terms and hope that this time it will sink in.

Alan please watch my lips....to clarify and confirm my complaint to the ASA:

QVC strongly imply on air that their money back guarantee is unconditional, whereas in fact it is not, and their non disclosure of this fact is misleading.

Now Alan please tell me where in that statement I say anything about my account being closed?? Thankyou.

I think I could see QVC saying that they actually don't go against what they say on TV. If you buy an item then they allow you to return it in 30 days.

What QVC are doing is blocking people from buying from them again if QVC feel that they return so much there is no profit to make.

So they are not going against what they say just stopping you from buying - which any company is allowed to do.

I completely agree with you Alan. Those people that return goods excessively should be banned. You cannot run a business that people treat like a way to upgrade to the next best thing all the time. I can understand buying two pairs of shoes to check the size and returning one pair but if your mix of product returns hits these dizzy heights then the BAN is justified. Just my opinion.

I completely agree with you Alan. Those people that return goods excessively should be banned. You cannot run a business that people treat like a way to upgrade to the next best thing all the time. I can understand buying two pairs of shoes to check the size and returning one pair but if your mix of product returns hits these dizzy heights then the BAN is justified. Just my opinion.

Another idiotic post from someone who doesn't understand what my ASA complaint is all about. :rolleyes:

Troll alert. (IMO of course).

Alan are you being deliberately obtuse or do you have a real problem with understanding what my ASA complaint is about?? You keep banging on about QVC closing my account but that is nothing to do with the ASA and nothing to do with my complaint to them. I will explain to you once more and in simple terms and hope that this time it will sink in.

Alan please watch my lips....to clarify and confirm my complaint to the ASA:

QVC strongly imply on air that their money back guarantee is unconditional, whereas in fact it is not, and their non disclosure of this fact is misleading.

Now Alan please tell me where in that statement I say anything about my account being closed?? Thankyou.

No, I am not being obtuse in anyway at all and understand that you think the ASA should force QVC to mention on air each time that they mention there 3 money back guarantee that you belive they should mention that if you return to many items they will block your from buying anymore. I have I understood this correctly? I'm not aware of any other conditions that QVC have on this guarantee but if there are any what are they as I do not know myself?

Now - where in my comment did I mention your account being closed?

But have you heard them mention it on air, Chill3d?

All companies would ban you if you were doing too many returns - it's to be expected. Would you want every company to mention this every single time?

My thoughts too hon. Or a QVC insider...

So if someone agrees with what i have said in my post then you think they are a troll or an insider?

That would be like me thinking that you must work for Ideal World for wanting to make a complaint about what you feel is an issue with QVC.

Ah, the old if someone does not agree therefore they must be a troll.

I don't think they must be a troll because they don't agree with me. I made my assumption on the fact that they have only made 4 posts in three months.
Could I be wrong? Of course I could. Doesn't stop me thinking it though.

I have never accused anyone of being a troll just because they don't agree with me. If I did that, I'd never be off the flaming computer.

Are you saying QVC don't bang on about the MBG as a selling point? If they rely on their representation about the MBG they can't later qualify that statement.

Statements about returns policy are no different to any representations they make to secure a sale, whether it's claiming the price will never be lower or that the stock can't be reordered.

No, I am not being obtuse in anyway at all and understand that you think the ASA should force QVC to mention on air each time that they mention there 3 money back guarantee that you belive they should mention that if you return to many items they will block your from buying anymore. I have I understood this correctly? I'm not aware of any other conditions that QVC have on this guarantee but if there are any what are they as I do not know myself?

Now - where in my comment did I mention your account being closed?

All QVC would need to say is that they offer a 30 day money back gaurantee subject to (their) terms and conditions, it's as simple as that.

Alan you have repeatedly used the terms cancel/blocking/banning of accounts in your posts and it's obvious that you are referring to mine but I won't be drawn into a pointless argument with you especially when it's irrelevant to my ASA complaint. I won't be wasting any more bandwidth on responding to you after this post as it's a complete waste of time, you obviously think Q's representation of their mbg is fine but I and many others do not, so we'll agree to disagree.

The way I'm reading this is that QVC aren't relating the point in the terms and conditions about excessive returns to the MBG but rather to accounts / membership. In other words the fact you can send an item back and they will refund your money even if youve used it blah blah blah means that they can stand by their claim to have a no quibble guarantee, the fact that you can't do it to many times would appear to be a condition of membership rather than purchase, if that makes sense. I'm not saying it right, I'm just saying t it looks to me like that's how they're getting round it.

However, they do have a "fair usage term" on beauty products, but Presenters and Alison Young repeatedly assert on air that you can use all of the product, send back an empty tub and get a refund. The ASA has been very clear on previous rulings that if there are T&Cs relating to a guarantee, then the advert needs to reference that.

Personally, I absolutely agree that high returns levels (with high being relevant to the category purchased from) should be actively managed so that abuse of the guarantee does not adversely impact customers not making high levels of of returns. However, I also agree with PPC that QVC misrepresent their money back guarantee, as there are T&C's attached to it.

The way I'm reading this is that QVC aren't relating the point in the terms and conditions about excessive returns to the MBG but rather to accounts / membership. In other words the fact you can send an item back and they will refund your money even if youve used it blah blah blah means that they can stand by their claim to have a no quibble guarantee, the fact that you can't do it to many times would appear to be a condition of membership rather than purchase, if that makes sense. I'm not saying it right, I'm just saying t it looks to me like that's how they're getting round it.

They haven't got a no quibble MBG if they quibble if more than a certain % of, say, face cream, has been used. Not honouring the MBG in those terms is quibbling and shows no G of getting your MB

I don't think they must be a troll because they don't agree with me. I made my assumption on the fact that they have only made 4 posts in three months.
Could I be wrong? Of course I could. Doesn't stop me thinking it though.

I have never accused anyone of being a troll just because they don't agree with me. If I did that, I'd never be off the flaming computer.

I really don’t see your logic that you think he poster it a troll simply as they have made only a few posts. I’d prefer to think you thought that as the disagreed with you…In can at least see some logic in that! LOL

All QVC would need to say is that they offer a 30 day money back gaurantee subject to (their) terms and conditions, it's as simple as that.

Alan you have repeatedly used the terms cancel/blocking/banning of accounts in your posts and it's obvious that you are referring to mine but I won't be drawn into a pointless argument with you especially when it's irrelevant to my ASA complaint. I won't be wasting any more bandwidth on responding to you after this post as it's a complete waste of time, you obviously think Q's representation of their mbg is fine but I and many others do not, so we'll agree to disagree.

That’s what I was asking you though or anyone else that knows – other than the fact they can close down an account what T&Cs do they have with regards to returns. I was under the assumption that there were none.

And I want to get one thong straight with you – I am not now and have not in any other post mentioned that your account has been closed or blocked and I am in no way saying that I think your account has been blocked or closed. If I was saying that I would specifically say that I was talking about your account.

Any reasonable person would think that if what QVC effectively are saying is " we will give you your money back if you return it within 30 days ...but if you do it too often we will close your account....oh and also if you use too much of the product we WONT refund you DESPITE what our presenters say on air..." Then SORRY that is absolutely a quibble and is misleading their customers. I may not be a judge (yet! lol) but if I ever get to be one I think that is a fair and reasonable argument, and QVC should perhaps get some legal advice themselves. Ask yourself what the ordinary person would think from what their presenters say on air. Then read my first sentence again. That is exactly what QVC are doing when taking it all as a whole.

Any reasonable person would think that if what QVC effectively are saying is " we will give you your money back if you return it within 30 days ...but if you do it too often we will close your account....oh and also if you use too much of the product we WONT refund you DESPITE what our presenters say on air..." Then SORRY that is absolutely a quibble and is misleading their customers. I may not be a judge (yet! lol) but if I ever get to be one I think that is a fair and reasonable argument, and QVC should perhaps get some legal advice themselves. Ask yourself what the ordinary person would think from what their presenters say on air. Then read my first sentence again. That is exactly what QVC are doing when taking it all as a whole.

I'd disagree with your first point about the account being close but agree with your 2nd point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back