Asda customer care NOT :angry::angry::angry:

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

madmax

Registered Shopper
:angry::angry::angry:
I have just come home from taking my DD to Asda to buy a her a long awaited Nintendo 3ds ,she has been saving for months to buy one and had finally got the £136 needed .
So we went to Asda and she handed over her debit card and received a SEALED box containing the Ds and accessories,
(from the warehouse behind the counter so the only people who could have tampered with it where Asda staff.)
Only when we got home and she opened the box all it contained was the paperwork instructions etc and then under that a TIN OF SWEETCORN wrapped in toilet roll, which was not what she was expecting or had paid for.
So we went straight back to Asda and saw several people at the (So called) customer service desk who all sympathized with her and said how sorry they where and what an awful thing to have happened and would she like a replacement
Then along came the DUTY MANAGER who said that there was no way she was going to get a replacement or a refund as he didn't know that she hadn't replaced the Ds with the sweetcorn herself.
Well I saw red and said was he calling my DD and me a thief and a liar. All he could say was that nothing could be done until the store manager was back at work on Monday. By this time we had gathered quite a crowd around us both staff and customers, who where all on our side saying we should at least get an apology and the money back but NO he was sticking to his guns .
So now my DD is £136 out of pocket and it doesn't look as though she is going to get it back.
We don't even have the tin of sweetcorn or the empty box as they needed to keep it for "evidence".
I will wait to see what happens after the weekend and if she doesn't get a replacement I will have to look into what we can do next.
All I do know is that when ever I have brought something like this in Tesco they ALWAYS OPEN the BOX to show you what is inside.
Maybe Asda should start to do the same as that is the only way we could have proved that the sweetcorn was in the box when she paid for it.
Karen

OMG madmax that is disgraceful!!!

I do so hope that you have now got this sorted out and your DD has her long awaited Nintendo 3DS. Hopefully the store manager will be a bit more human than the duty manager.

Please let us know how you got on.

Last edited:
Just to let you know the latest.
The store manager couldn't even be bothered to phone me him self, after waiting in all day I finally received a call at 5.45pm from the SAME duty manager who I was so rude and dismissive on Saturday. Who went on to not only get my name wrong but went on to say that the store manage was backing him and they would not be refunding any money as they have CCTV showing they sold her a sealed box and so we should NOW take the matter up with Head Office or Nintendo .
I then phoned my household insurance legal helpline and was told that ASDA had a legal obligation to refund the money or replace the goods under the sale of goods act and the misrepresentation act. So this morning I am going to phone head office and then follow up the call with a letter stating that unless a refund or replacement is received within 10 working days ,we will be taking them to court under the above acts.
So I have my morning all planed out now.
Karen

Last edited:
This is appalling!! I would be enraged!!! I've often bought items in boxes without opening them and then wrapped them for presents. After hearing this I won't be doing that again. In fact I'll make sure I open and check contents before leaving the store. Terrible CS and that duty manager deserves firing for his terrible attitude to customers. My opinion of Asda has plummeted! I really hope you get this sorted out asap. I feel sorry for your daughter having saved so hard only to be so disappointed. Shame on Asda!!

I do so hope you get this sorted to your satisfaction
I too have bought things and not opened it there and then to check the contents
especially before christmas I bought on line and collected in store at tesco i.e my kindle and cover and some other items it never occured to me to open it at the counter when I collected it. I will definetly do so now though after reading this .

I have just come off the phone to Asda Head Office and they are refusing to budge.
Their line is that it is nothing to do with then ,so they don't have to give either a replacement of a refund.
To say that I am MAD is an understatement, how dare they treat ANY customer like this.
I am just going to email the CEO as per kitee's post along with a letter in the post recorded delivery.

I just cannot believe this. Honestly, their only defence is that "the sold you a sealed box"!! Yes, a sealed box with a can of sweetcorn in it. Asda should be looking at some of their or Nintendo's light fingered staff not persecuting it's customers!! I really hope that the CEO sees sense and refunds your dd her money back.

What ever happened to the customer is always right??

Honestly, the world's gone mad!!

You could ask for assurances that staff will co-operate with the police investigation, I doubt the police would be interested but that's for them to worry about. I'd agree the local paper might well be interested prompting a local Tesco/Morrisons/Waitrose/Sainsbury etc to offer to step in with a replacement and cheap free publicity...well you never know.

Seriously though, I hope you get a satisfactory resolution, I'm furious for you and your DD.

Jude xx

I have emailed the CEO and sent him a copy recorded delivery.
I have also talked to legal help line again and they just can't understand why Asda are behaving like this!!.
I am putting off going to the press etc until I have heard from the CEO, I gave him 10days in which to reply.
This has made me think long and hard about what I buy and where from, I am not QVC's greatest fan but at least if something like this where to happen you would be asured of getting your money back.
Thanks for all of your support.
Karen

Karen that is truly dreadful, your poor daughter must be so disappointed. Asda have behaved dreadfully!!! Who says a sealed box can't contain something other than it should? Asda are stupid to think errors don't happen.

If you don't get any luck with the CEO you could contact your local MP too, just get the story out to as many as you can.

This is totally outrageous Karen. I am wondering as the first person was ready to change before the supervisor stepped in. Has this happened before and they replaced for the customer and this time decided no screw the customer. Someone in the warehouse must have done it and got away with it and now has a nice little scheme no doubt selling them cheap themselves.

I did wonder that as I now remember one of the staff saying "this this like what happened last week with" before the duty manager very quickly stepped in to say "no this is nothing like that" and changed the subject.

This has made me think long and hard about what I buy and where from, I am not QVC's greatest fan but at least if something like this where to happen you would be asured of getting your money back. Karen

Life can be so tough - so keep strong, Karen. The reply will be interesting. As for future custom, I've tried to keep a resolution to boycott stores where I've been ill-treated - even though you may get an apology, replacement or even a gesture of goodwill (cash or money off coupons) this time it is their core principles and attitude, processes and staff training that need addressing. Vote with your feet; it can make a difference.

Unfortunately Asda is the only large supermarket around with out having to drive to Bodmin and go to Morrisons which is 15 miles away, so not really economically efficient.
As yet I have heard nothing from the CEO or the store so I am still waiting.
I am going into the store to day to collect the box and sweetcorn, then at least I will have the evidence here .
Thanks for all of your surport Karen

What about calling Nintendo direct and tell them how your daughter saved up and how dreadful you have been treated, I am sure they will step in or maybe show some goodwill themselves.

PJ

Latest posts

Back