AY on holiday

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

fredab

Registered Shopper
Switched on TV at 7 am to see repeat from last night and order TSV assumption that it was on easy pay.

Did anyone else hear the comment from JF about AY on holiday? Apparently she is somewhere hot and sits on her lounger with her legs covered by a towel, under an umbrella with a hat on and is using the gradual glow from the TSV in the evening. Her and her hubby obviously do not spend the day together, the comment was to the effect that when Ali sees Simon in the evening he would be commenting on her colour and that she would come back browner than her.

Is something wrong with AY. She flogs Ultrasun with an SPF of 50 on both face and body products, she could spend a couple of hours in the sun. Sunshine is good for our bodies, especially the bones. I know there are cases of ricketts in this country now because of the obsession of no sun, we have to have a certain amount on our bodies.

I really do think that AY takes this anti sun thing too far. I don't like sun on my face so I use an SPF 30 or 50. She really is......... words fail me.

Ordered the TSV as its on easy pay in the tanning option, love the gradual glow

You can still get vitamin D from being outdoors without actually exposing your whole body to the sun though surely? And even the factor 50 allows something through, as it's not a block. I wish I could be as strict with myself, but I still find myself sitting in the garden when I know full well I should be in the shade. *sigh* at least I have the Ultrasun on :p

Maybe they're on a golfing trip or something? Sounds like a perfect set up to me ;) Reading/chilling/shopping/sightseeing alone by day then dinner and drinks with hubby in the evening. I want a holiday like that!!! :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I enjoy the sun and never sit in the shade,why should we be made to feel guilty by AY its up to her,I think she goes to hot places because her husband likes to sit in the sun.
Lynn

Switched on TV at 7 am to see repeat from last night and order TSV assumption that it was on easy pay.

Did anyone else hear the comment from JF about AY on holiday? Apparently she is somewhere hot and sits on her lounger with her legs covered by a towel, under an umbrella with a hat on and is using the gradual glow from the TSV in the evening. Her and her hubby obviously do not spend the day together, the comment was to the effect that when Ali sees Simon in the evening he would be commenting on her colour and that she would come back browner than her.

Is something wrong with AY. She flogs Ultrasun with an SPF of 50 on both face and body products, she could spend a couple of hours in the sun. Sunshine is good for our bodies, especially the bones. I know there are cases of ricketts in this country now because of the obsession of no sun, we have to have a certain amount on our bodies.

I really do think that AY takes this anti sun thing too far. I don't like sun on my face so I use an SPF 30 or 50. She really is......... words fail me.

Ordered the TSV as its on easy pay in the tanning option, love the gradual glow

I have heard similar comments often with regards to AY covering up, she has said so herself, she does spend a lot of time outdoors though when she is at home with the horses.

Sounds like she is married to someone quite 'normal' then. Though it must be hard work having a partner who is 'obsessive'.

I think she is fanatical about her face catching the sun, as she wears caps when out at home (although obviously when riding she has to wear a riding hat). Don't blame her really because that is her trade, and if she gets too lined, they might get a smoother version in instead!!

There were photos of her on holiday on Facebook no long ago. Now it was a sking holiday but the sun was shinning and she was sitting wrapped up in a blanket with sunglasses and large hat on. Everyone else was sitting at a table chilling.

Probably the most dangerous way to try and get your vitamin D quota is to stake yourself out all day on your fortnights holiday abroad. I sit under a parasol and wear a loose thin cotton kaftan as well as they do not afford complete shade especially when near a pool or on the beach. I m not completely paranoid about the sun and spend time swimming with an spf cream and walking around. However I despair when I see women(and men) who are still burning and tanning to excess and wonder if they dont know how dangerous it is or just dont care. Also I find it baffling as presumably they do it as they think they look good but I think that over tanned look is horrible and really ageing. A woman i work with is a tanorexic and her skin is so damaged and leathery but she thinks her tan is great. Alison Young gets all her vit D outdoors on her farm Im sure.

Probably the most dangerous way to try and get your vitamin D quota is to stake yourself out all day on your fortnights holiday abroad. I sit under a parasol and wear a loose thin cotton kaftan as well as they do not afford complete shade especially when near a pool or on the beach. I m not completely paranoid about the sun and spend time swimming with an spf cream and walking around. However I despair when I see women(and men) who are still burning and tanning to excess and wonder if they dont know how dangerous it is or just dont care. Also I find it baffling as presumably they do it as they think they look good but I think that over tanned look is horrible and really ageing. A woman i work with is a tanorexic and her skin is so damaged and leathery but she thinks her tan is great. Alison Young gets all her vit D outdoors on her farm Im sure.

I agree Bauble. Just walking around here, supermarket etc, people are hideously burnt and pink. I do like to sit in the sun, but I do it in short sharp bursts, am usually gardening or something most of the time. I always wear a good protection and have glasses and a wide brimmed hat on. I have skin cancer in the family (sadly with one fatality) and even though I have olive skin and tan easily it doesn't excuse you from the big 'C'. Sadly, no-one is immune. You'd think by now with all the media exposure that people would be more sun savvy. I just saw a dad with two babies in a buggy. No parasol, the poor kids were facing the sun and had their arms accross their eyes. Makes my blood boil when people don't think about the little ones :banghead: Again, back to my extreme concept of IQ/common sense tests for people considering children, he he!

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

Yes Capirossi makes me wonder when I see kids getting burned as well. Forgot to add that despite being sensible in the sun I still come back with a slight colour so it proves that in the summer unless you never go outdoors and expose your arms you will get the benefit of the sunshine without even trying.

You can still get vitamin D from being outdoors without actually exposing your whole body to the sun though surely? And even the factor 50 allows something through, as it's not a block. I wish I could be as strict with myself, but I still find myself sitting in the garden when I know full well I should be in the shade. *sigh* at least I have the Ultrasun on :p

Maybe they're on a golfing trip or something? Sounds like a perfect set up to me ;) Reading/chilling/shopping/sightseeing alone by day then dinner and drinks with hubby in the evening. I want a holiday like that!!! :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

You need to let the sun get on your large bones, legs & arms. You can sit safely in the sun for 30 minutes without sun lotion & to get the Vitamin D it needs to be 11am-3pm. The reason we are so low in Vit D is because we have all been conditioned that if we get any rays on us at all we will develop skin cancer. Not so. Read Dr Holicks book. He is the worlds leading expect on this.

AY is ridiculous. her ViT D levels must be so low, no wonder she has health problems.

Depends how intense the sun is. Thirty minutes sat in todays sun without sunscreen and most people would be sorely burnt. Think 15 mins is daily recommendation on arms(and legsif possible).

I can't sit out in this weather as I get a banging headache and end up vomiting. Me and the sun do not get on so I take VitD supplements instead.

I think AY subscribes to the theory that any change in skin colour is skin damage. I think her views are extreme and I am sorry to say that whilst her skin may be super protected by her regime I don't think she has cheated ageing. She doesn't look particularly youthful to me. I get the impression that's her primary aim but I'm not 100% sure.

My attitude to suncare is to prevent burning and to do my best to prevent skin cancer. But I'm no beauty expert.

Where I do agree with AY is that a deep tan is very ageing. I'm olive skinned and my natural skintone looks "lightly tanned". On a week's holiday in high Mediterranean temperatures I can go mahagony and it's not a good look. I use higher SPF factors and regular shade breaks to tone down my holiday tan.

Contrary to all the advise I've heard from AY and particilary ultrasun Abbie I will still get a tan with factor 30 but it will be paler than if I'm using factor 15. Even though I won't burn with factor 15. I've never quite understood that as it's not supposed to be the case.

i have a vit d defficiency and its painfull. it will take me several months for my vit d levels to become normal. i am in a high risk group to get it being overwieght is a high risk factor apparently. i will wear some spf but on my body while in my gardening pottering around i dont. a t-shirt and some body lotion does allow my body to get some precious sun rays. the obseesion with very high sun factors is not a good one. but on the other hand i never want to fry as i really dont like direct heat on me i find it uncomfortable and suffer from prickly heat.

i suppose its what suits the individual. alison young looks like she will stay that way...young! her skin always looks lovely.

It's a good job AY hasn't been watching Sunday Brunch today, they asked people to send in photos of their sunburn and there were some horrific sights. Looking on the positive side I imagine anyone who was going out in the sun today without using any sunscreen will think twice after seeing those images. I really do think there's got to be a happy medium, yes be cautious but AY takes it to extremes.

I don't think people take any notice of advice if they want to do something. I go to The Christie Hospital (the cancer hospital in Manchester) with my Dad as he has recently had major surgery to his head with scalp reconstruction due to skin cancer. This is due to him walking around without sun protection or a hat on when he went bald (in this country). He has never overdone it and has put cream on if he's been out for any length of time, but obviously not enough.

What amazes me when we go is that there is always at least one patient sitting just outside the main entrance in their nightclothes, usually in a wheelchair with a tube either up their nose or in their arm or both, having a cigarette. They must be in hospital having treatment for cancer as nothing else is treated there.

..... i suppose its what suits the individual. alison young looks like she will stay that way...young! her skin always looks lovely.

Her skin is, & probably will stay, lovely but even Alison can't cheat the aging process. I wish that it was possible.
Wrinkles are not the only trick in the box. There are other factors. I'm not being mean but she is already developing eye-bags, she has a round full face so she could develop jowls, a double chin is on the cards and she has a thick neck so necklace lines or a slack neck are also a possibility. It's all down to the gene pool.
Long may she keep it all at bay, but those tell-tale signs will arrive eventually.

I've gone & depressed myself now!

Last edited:
I am with AY I am afraid, sun exposure is not only ageing but dangerous, I am not and never have been one to sit in the sun, I get bored, you can count on half a hand how many times I have had a tan ( other than out of a bottle) but in January this year I had to have a cancerous lesion removed from my face right in the middle of my eyebrow and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Not just the surgery but all the stress and worry that accompanies it. It must have had its origin when I was a child but even then I never burnt and unusually for my age my mum did use suncream ( all be it factor 4- don't think you can even get that nowadays) and was just playing outside like any normal kid. I am not particularly fair skinned but it got me.
As for vitamin D it depends who you listen too but my understanding was that you only need 5 minutes exposure twice a week in order to synthesise enough obviously the darker your skin pigment the longer the exposure you may need but you certainly don't need to sit in the sun for 30 minutes a day and it's sunlight that you need not the heat from the sun so even on a cloudy day or in the winter you will be synthesising vitamin D

Latest posts

Back