Banned from Rocks TV

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't think rocks will be like other shopping channels without chat, it is different. for 1 its a family business, and the owners communicate with customers on this forum. You can email the owner and he'll actually reply!
lots of differences to other channels IMO.
I think the jewellery speaks for itself and rocks don't need the chat to be unique.

I was with rocks nearly from the start (except for about a fortnight) so the chat is like an old friend - and a good place to say hi to people I met at Open Day etc...If I had to sit through dozens of auctions in case something came up that I liked, I'd be off in five mins...Chat helps pass the time pleasantly!

just reading chat and people were on about pain and whether they are taking morphine or not! who wants that on a jewellery shopping channel? chat isn't the problem, its the fact people use in inproperly without considering others on the site.

Last edited:
Didn't see that...must have been looking elsewhere...They just need telling politely..."Can we stick to pleasant subjects for the sake of others please"...If they don't like it they can go somewhere else...I agree that this sort of chat is good for people esp women to exchange this sort of thing, but otoh, it can put people off who just want to look at pleasant things as a break from their own troubles...

That's the problem though Jacky, as soon as you mention that you get a barrage of people coming back at you who's noses have been put out of joint and you end up getting hounded out of chat!!

I too have been there from the start and genuinely love the chat!! For example I was there on Monday afternoon from about 3.15 and the chat was all about people receiving parcels that day, and different gems people like and questions about jewellry etc...went off topic a couple of times, but only for a couple of minutes and everyone was involved and was having a giggle - it was really great! Come the evening the chat deviated completely with jewellry barely being mentioned. It was, to be honest, a total turn off and that's exactly what I did because it was cliquey, whingey, depressing and at points so personal that I felt like some kind of voyeur reading it!!!

Hi all again :mysmilie_348:

I'm a relatively new Rocks customer-discovered it thanks to you all in the gemstv forum-and a bit saddened by the antics in the chatroom. I DON'T want to read about people's hysterectomies, dying relatives and the school runs ( btw, I'm Karin on the website chat). I can't relate to it and I doubt new customers appreciate this kind of chat.

My suggestion is rocks headlining chat with something like this: "welcome to rockstv chat. we hope you'll enjoy yourselves, please keep to general topics for the enjoyment of all chatters". Surely this would put an end to the dying relatives, etc?

I do jump in from time to time but i also feel like a bit of a voyeur at times.

TFor example I was there on Monday afternoon from about 3.15 and the chat was all about people receiving parcels that day, and different gems people like and questions about jewellry etc...went off topic a couple of times, but only for a couple of minutes and everyone was involved and was having a giggle - it was really great! Come the evening the chat deviated completely with jewellry barely being mentioned. It was, to be honest, a total turn off and that's exactly what I did because it was cliquey, whingey, depressing and at points so personal that I felt like some kind of voyeur reading it!!!

Absolutely PR, it's awful in the evenings now, a totally different crowd to the morning lot, not enjoyable at all! I used to enjoy the chat room but if that's what it's turned into...........! :mysmilie_11: :(

well, Rocks have got a mountain of feedback from us now & we know Steve is back, might be an idea for their thoughts now? :)

(i vaguely remember someone from Rocks posting in the thread earlier so i presumed they were going to let us know the outcome?).

Hi all again :mysmilie_348:

I'm a relatively new Rocks customer-discovered it thanks to you all in the gemstv forum-and a bit saddened by the antics in the chatroom. I DON'T want to read about people's hysterectomies, dying relatives and the school runs ( btw, I'm Karin on the website chat). I can't relate to it and I doubt new customers appreciate this kind of chat.

My suggestion is rocks headlining chat with something like this: "welcome to rockstv chat. we hope you'll enjoy yourselves, please keep to general topics for the enjoyment of all chatters". Surely this would put an end to the dying relatives, etc?

I do jump in from time to time but i also feel like a bit of a voyeur at times.

Hi Cheyenne/Karin
:mysmilie_348:A Big Welcome to shopping telly forum/ rockstv chat from me hope you enjoy your time here/there

..you say...

My reply..

Below the chat box opposite the pink send button is a button to click so as to read the chat rules which I don't think new people have seen/read..but before the new site was launched you had to click to agree to chat rules before being allowed to enter it..I should imagine the software is being written to bring this back along with numerous other things we had i.e. different ring sizes and measurements etc..

:mysmilie_34:I may also be being a little paranoid here, but I myself and also Marge1 have recently had bereavements ("dying relatives")..and I do appreciate it's not a chatroom topic...and I have yet to bury my stepson and I'm not in chat moaning about it nor was Marge1 about her relative, but most of chat know of this and are going to ask how things are with us both..have we to be rude and ignore their enquiries!?
I'm staying out of chat at the moment, purley so as the friends I've made in there are not asking me how things are going, as I don't want the chatroom to become morbid due to them going to ask me if I do go in..

I try steer them off the subject anyway...so I can only summise it's maybe some of the newer chatters with ("dying relatives") that have upset the readers of the chatroom..only today I saw the words hysterectomy in bold letters in the chat..and this was a new chatter too..
Most of the chatters who are of old school do try to keep decorum and change topics where we can..if we are in chat at the time..

It's good to see new posters/chatters...

Mirabelle xx

Last edited:
With the greatest of respect Mirabelle, I have to ask how those in chat know to ask in the first place? Surely it is because of previous conversations in chat. Certainly, that is how I know of your recent loss and the details thereof (for which I extend my sincere condolences, incidentally). Perhaps the enquiries would be a little less specific had the comprehensive details not been given in Chat in the first place.

With the greatest of respect Mirabelle, I have to ask how those in chat know to ask in the first place? Surely it is because of previous conversations in chat. Certainly, that is how I know of your recent loss and the details thereof (for which I extend my sincere condolences, incidentally). Perhaps the enquiries would be a little less specific had the comprehensive details not been given in Chat in the first place.

Hi sheffieldowl. with respect back there is also private email and PM's, and private fbook email that's how most know and yes I have answered enquiries in chat.. I'll keep :mysmilie_11: now as i dont want upsetting ta!..thanks for your post.

Mirabelle xx

Perhaps if other chatters ask personal questions about bereavments etc people could answer that they don't feel its appropriate to discuss it on chat, but that them for their kind thoughts and say they will msn them to discuss it, email or telephone them?
That way, friends can still discuss person matters but without offending anyone else who is on rockstv.
By the way Mirabelle i am really sorry to hear of your loss.

Mirabelle, I am not attempting to upset you, merely asking a question, and I apologise profusely if I have caused offence.

It is a topic that has been raised, and yes, perhaps I am playing devil's advocate a little, but I consider that to be a necessity given the strength of feeling that is currently being conveyed.

Indeed there are each of the methods of communication to which you have referred, but certainly I am not privy to these and yet I know of your circumstances due to conversations in chat that I have been involved in.

Please do accept my apologies if I have caused any upset. Certainly this was not my intention.

Perhaps if other chatters ask personal questions about bereavments etc people could answer that they don't feel its appropriate to discuss it on chat, but that them for their kind thoughts and say they will msn them to discuss it, email or telephone them?
That way, friends can still discuss person matters but without offending anyone else who is on rockstv.
By the way Mirabelle i am really sorry to hear of your loss.

Thank you gemdreamer!

Mirabelle xx

Mirabelle, I am not attempting to upset you, merely asking a question, and I apologise profusely if I have caused offence.

It is a topic that has been raised, and yes, perhaps I am playing devil's advocate a little, but I consider that to be a necessity given the strength of feeling that is currently being conveyed.

Indeed there are each of the methods of communication to which you have referred, but certainly I am not privy to these and yet I know of your circumstances due to conversations in chat that I have been involved in.

Please do accept my apologies if I have caused any upset. Certainly this was not my intention.

sheffieldowl...no apology neccessary so no worries..you are only giving your opinion.. and I'm just being fragile!

Mirabelle xx

sheffieldowl...no apology neccessary so no worries..you are only giving your opinion.. and I'm just being fragile!

Mirabelle xx
sheffield owl most of the older chat regulars are in contact with each other through various ways and were notified of both marges and mirabelles sad loses through that means they have a lot more respect for the Rocks Chat than to discuss their personal lives like that even more so as both help with anyprob or queries in the chat itself both are very sensitive at the moment and dont want to talk about it to anyone certainly not in a chat room .in fact those that were notified were asked not too disguss it with anyone and it was only after a couple of weeks that anyone other than us were let know as questions were being ask as to their whereabouts

Last edited:
This is all beginning to smack somewhat of censorship. I, also, do not like the turn chat has taken but not because of any one subject in particular, more the amount of trolls and ill-mannered passers by.

How can we say it's okay to talk about one thing because it's not happy(apart from the obvious within the realms of the law, basic good manners, etc.) and not another, because it is happy. I don't know anyone who can be hilarious or thoroughly entertaining the whole of the time, and certainly wouldn't expect them to say nothing at all or, in my opinion, rudely divert them. If it's slipped anyone's notice, human beings of all varieties inhabit chat. If any one subject (other than jewellery) is dominating chat, then surely it is up to those who are bored or simply don't want to know, to simply chat over it with an "on topic" subject. xxxxx

sheffield owl most of the older chat regulars are in contact with each other through various ways and were notified of both marges and mirabelles sad loses through that means they have a lot more respect for the Rocks Chat than to discuss their personal lives like that even more so as both help with anyprob or queries in the chat itself both are very sensitive at the moment and dont want to talk about it to anyone certainly not in a chat room .in fact those that were notified were asked not too disguss it with anyone and it was only after a couple of weeks that anyone other than us were let know as questions were being ask as to their whereabouts

Mirabelle was discussing it in the chatroom just after her sad loss.

If any one subject (other than jewellery) is dominating chat, then surely it is up to those who are bored or simply don't want to know, to simply chat over it with an "on topic" subject. xxxxx

Unfortunately Argey, it is often more a case of 'any one person' (or group of people) domianting the chat & I have noticed several times recently that even when the subject is changed or the chat turns back o jewellery, those in question seem determined to either continue, or resurrect what they were talking/joking about!
This can be highly tedious to say the least & my own way of dealing with it is to simply no longer frequent the chat room at certain times of the day......! :mysmilie_11:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back