Best discovery of 2012

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Vienna

Registered Shopper
Between us all I reckon we`re about as beauty savvy as they come and we must have tried and tested umpteen new items in 2012. Whether its makeup, skin care, fragrance, hair care or body care, what has been your best new discovery of 2012 ?
I`ll kick off with mine. Its Boots Botanicals calming skin serum which you apply under your moisturiser or night cream and which has soothed the windburn, winter redness and dryness I suffer from because I spend a lot of time outdoors. Instead of resembling Rudolph after a major booze up, I now look normal, errrr well as normal as I ever look !

Two things that aren't new to the market but they were to me this year - Laura Mericer Tightlining Powder and Clarins EDT in the red bottle - I love it because it's like Eau Sauvage for women.

Last edited:
My monthly facial i now have a chocolate facial and my skin is so soft and it lasts until my next one ,feel very plumpilicious!!! if ever there was a word...

Red Carpet Manicure - it is fantastic. Easy to do and lasts for weeks, and still looks as good on the last day as the first.

For me, it's Revitalash. It really works ....... unlike many of the other beauty products I've bought in the past.

NUDE skin care
Cellular Renewal Moisturiser
Progenius Oil

Both samples I was given, but amazing products. Unfortunately very expensive.

Marks and Spencer PURE Super Active Overnight Oil. This one is only £6, one drop will do the whole face and same ingredients as the NUDE one at £58.

Caudalie Vinosource SOS Thirst Quenching Serum. Again I was given a try me and loved it so much went and bought it. I don't have dry skin but getting dehydrated because of the weather. This is a bottle of soothing comfort, you skin feels plump.

Malin + Goetz Detox Face Mask. Brilliant,brilliant,brilliant. Like a little hoover on the skin deep cleansing with oxygen.

Chanel Joules Contrast Blush in #15 Orchid Rose. A soft nude peach/rose shade, boring looking in the stand but fab on the cheeks. Smells of roses.

Foundations

Three this week have WOWed me.

YSL Touche Eclat Teint
Kevyn Aucoin Liquid Airbrush(does what it says on the bottle)
Armani Maestro, like nothing else around. Eye dropper bottle rub between fingers pat on and totally flawless. Totally disappears on the skin, you look like you are wearing nothing but lovely skin. Doesn't even need a powder over it.

Hourglass a US brand only in Liberty's and SpaceNK, online with Zuneta. Fab lipsticks my rich and moisturising but feels so light on the lips. Great brushes and lovely eyeshadows.

Perfumes

Parfumerie Generale, I was given a sample of no14 Iris Oriental and fell in love. Also Cuir d'Iris, Lounges Profanes,Tonkamande.

Juliette Has A Gun, Citizen Queen and Calamity J are the two I loved.

Annick Goutal Myrrh Ardente.

Hair care
Bumble and Bumble Color Minded

Donna, can I ask what the coverage of the foundations you mention is like? In terms of light, medium, full etc.

Also, what effect does the M&S overnight oil have on your skin. Moisture, firmness, dewyness, plumpness etc.

Thank you!!

The oil gives a soft plump effect, not greasy. Not sure about firming as I only started using it. I will say it has similar ingredients to the Liz Earle, Starflower etc.

I don't like heavy coverage in foundation, but these can be built up. I have redness on my cheeks and add extra where I need it.

Here is the link to the facial oil with reviews.

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Pure...031&pf_rd_p=321381387&pf_rd_s=related-items-3

Primer! I had a BE and a LG primer in my stash, probably both from TSVs, and eventually got round to using them. I cannot believe how much longer it makes my foundation last. I use BE foundation, which is pretty long-lasting anyhow, but primer really keeps the top-ups to a minimum. My daughter, who has quite oily skin and uses a cheapie foundation, has tried both primers, and is totally bowled over. I also has a LG eye primer from a TSV which my DD uses and she tells me it is fab for keeping her eye makeup in place.

For me, it's Revitalash. It really works ....... unlike many of the other beauty products I've bought in the past.

I didn't put Revitalash as I found this last year, have been using it for over 18 months - and it does really work. Worth every penny and a tube lasts ages.

I hit 50 this year and its like my skin suddenly needs more moisturiser than ever before. I am loving the cream mask from L'Occitane.

I haven't tried many new products this year other than the alternatives to C&P. none are dreadful but they're not wows either. The nearest is the M&S Pure one but the pump is bliddy useless so ruins the whole experience for me.

Oh no there is another product. Crabtree & Evelyn Hand Therapy. Really good and comes in lots of lovely flavours. The Gardeners one is the richest but I like all the ones I've tried. Least favourite is the lemon.

Oh no there is another product. Crabtree & Evelyn Hand Therapy. Really good and comes in lots of lovely flavours. The Gardeners one is the richest but I like all the ones I've tried. Least favourite is the lemon.

Beware - I've found that if you buy the really big tube it goes "off" quicker than you can use it up. I've just had to throw a second rose one away for that reason - the smell was of roses and manure!!

Oh crap!!!!! I have a set of 6 minis, I got them for £9 as I was buying a gift for my aunt. She likes the tea and cookies at Christmas, they had the handcreams on offer so treated myself last month.

Oh crap!!!!! I have a set of 6 minis, I got them for £9 as I was buying a gift for my aunt. She likes the tea and cookies at Christmas, they had the handcreams on offer so treated myself last month.

The minis should be fine Donna - just don't open them all at once to try the different smells. I really like it - rich but not too greasy - and the smells are lovely.

I would avoid the aftershaves though - don't know the technical term, but the smell that you get after the initial squirt is awfully cheap and headache inducing. OH has to use them for work only!

I've got oodles of the minis of the Crabtree & Evelyn handcreams. And I use it like its going out of fashion. They were 50% off at a garden centre so I bought three sets. After I tried them first of course. They're 30ml I think. I prefer that size. Goes in the handbag easily and I don't get bored with the fragrance.

Clarins is still my all time favourite handcream though.

Last edited:
I've recently found the elemis pro radiance cleanser, which seems to have balanced my oily skin.
I then use estee lauder advanced night repair and it sinks into my skin, and i think i have finally
found what works for me, at last, after trying nearly everything. I sometimes work a long day from
7.30 to 21.00 and most of my make up is still one me (double wear) so thats a major bonus

I'll second Donna on the YSL foundation, beautiful, does not turn me into an Oompa Loompa and I don't feel as if I'm wearing any makeup. Also Clarins Body Exfoliator and Hand Cream, not new on the market, but new to me.

My best discovery this year has honestly been the beauty aisle in Lidl (don't laugh). I've tried their anti-ageing face cream £1.98 a jar and absolutely lovely, their hand washes 500ml for 55p, some lovely fragrances and my skin doesn't react to them, plus they last forevs.

But far and away my favourite is their handcream range. They do a normal one, again 55p for 125mls, with shea butter and almond oil, smells amazing and really has sorted my hands and nails out, nails are growing faster and stronger. They also do for the same price a Neutrogena style handcream, very very rich indeed but in my view works much better. So there you go, beauty on a budget! Superb.

Latest posts

Back