Best discovery of 2012

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

My best discovery this year has honestly been the beauty aisle in Lidl (don't laugh). I've tried their anti-ageing face cream £1.98 a jar and absolutely lovely, their hand washes 500ml for 55p, some lovely fragrances and my skin doesn't react to them, plus they last forevs.

But far and away my favourite is their handcream range. They do a normal one, again 55p for 125mls, with shea butter and almond oil, smells amazing and really has sorted my hands and nails out, nails are growing faster and stronger. They also do for the same price a Neutrogena style handcream, very very rich indeed but in my view works much better. So there you go, beauty on a budget! Superb.

ditto for me in Aldi barbedwire! Tho I did visit Lidl recently and I got some of the handcream you mention - the shea butter and almond oil one - lovely! I like Aldi's serum..I'm using the one for mature skin - £3.49 - can't go wrong! Also their double packs of cotton wool pads, 99p - toothpaste, no SLS, 49p or something similar...wrinkle filler for my forehead "number one" (not eleven!), again £3.49, and I even bought some perfume last week £3.99 - smells lovely! I'd read that it was either an Aldi or a Lidl one that in a blind test scored better than Chanel ..can't be bad!

ditto for me in Aldi barbedwire! Tho I did visit Lidl recently and I got some of the handcream you mention - the shea butter and almond oil one - lovely! I like Aldi's serum..I'm using the one for mature skin - £3.49 - can't go wrong! Also their double packs of cotton wool pads, 99p - toothpaste, no SLS, 49p or something similar...wrinkle filler for my forehead "number one" (not eleven!), again £3.49, and I even bought some perfume last week £3.99 - smells lovely! I'd read that it was either an Aldi or a Lidl one that in a blind test scored better than Chanel ..can't be bad!

You honestly can't beat those prices and the quality of the products is outstanding for that money. I think I remember seeing the article in which the Aldi cream beat Chanel, sure it was in the Daily Mail. The creams genuinely are good performing products, smell nice and keep the skin well hydrated and plump.

I also forgot to mention Make Up Academy. Another lovely forumite sang their praises a few months back, so I took the plunge and ordered from them. Their £1 mascara is PHENOM and I'd highly recommend it.

Max Factor Eye Brightening Mascara, which comes in tonal shades for hazel, green, brown or blue eyes.

I use the mascara for blue eyes, which is described as black, but in reality is a very very dark navy. The mascara doesn't chip or flake, and it stays put until you take it off.

My eyelashes are pathetic - sparse and blonde, but this mascara gives real oomph, and outlines your peepers with thick, sooty lashes. I have days when I don't wear make up at all, just a lick of this mascara is enough on its own.

Oh - and someone on here recommended using pure coconut oil, and if it was you - thank you! The tiniest smear of coconut oil applied under moisturiser really boosts the effects, and it's another budget-busting discovery. A 99p bottle lasts for months.

Last edited:
I haven't seen coconut oil in a bottle Sublime, I've got a tub of solid stuff which melts on contact with the skin - I use it for my hands & cuticles at bedtime.

I remembered another one - my Sisley eyebrow pencil - it's shade BRUN but actually black and perfect for me. DD got it for me for my birthday - pretty expensive so I might not get another - not if I'm buying it myself any road up!

I haven't seen coconut oil in a bottle Sublime, I've got a tub of solid stuff which melts on contact with the skin - I use it for my hands & cuticles at bedtime.

Mine's from that magnificent emporium of quality items known as the 99p Shop, Busy Mum. :happy:

You've just reminded me that I have an unopened tub of the solid stuff - thank you for the recommendation!

Fab thread!

My most recent discovery was last week - an oil FACIAL MASSAGE for less than £4.00
Sitting outside a café in Udaipur (India), enjoying the tuk tuk fumes and cow manure, I notice a Beauty Salon right opposite. Four Australian women went inside and when the first one came out absolutely glowing, I crossed the road to ask her if she'd had the massage facial so prominently advertised. She had and highly recommended it. When 27 joined us I suggested we try it, my treat.
The owner wanted to push the anti-aging facial, but as I am allergic to everything these days I declined and opted for the 15 minute oil facial after she assured me that there was nothing in it to make my skin react. With a warning that my hotel was just up the road and if I had red eyes the next morning she'd see them up close and threatening, we went for it.
It was absolutely fabulous! She seemed to adopt the Emma Hardy technique of massaging upwards and across my neck, face, chest and ears with a milky oil. Half way through, she used a cloth to wipe it off with water and started over. I was plumped up delicious!
I'm going to see if I can find anything similar here.

My second discovery is BAKING SODA (bicarbonate of soda). Mixed with EVOO, it makes a fabulous, gentle scrub
http://www.stylenectar.com/stylenectar/2011/09/olive-oil-facial-cleanser-recipe.html
I bought two round face mask sponges to use to remove any residue. Better than a cloth or flannel.

My third best discovery was FOLTENE SHAMPOO THINNING HAIR SLS free. It works for me.

My best discovery of the year has to be the real techniques make up brushes, I bought most of mine on 3 for 2 in boots. They're so soft, blend makeup beautifully and dry after cleaning with in a few hours. I'm finding I'm using them more than the Mac so A* from me :)

Also I forgot to mention DOVE Hair Therapy Nourishing Oil Care Express Treatment Conditioner. I don't normally like Dove hair stuff, the shampoos and conditioners weight my hair down too much, but this intensive treatment is the business. When you squeeze it out of the tube it looks like the centre of a Creme Egg, you smooth it into your hair and leave it for a minute or two. Leaves my hair soft and managable and not greasy. You only need a tiny amount of it to get a result. Highly recommended!

Now that's a fab gift for £11!!

Can't claim it be a discovery as I've only just bought it but the Body Shop has a lovely limited edition handcream in the sale. Ginger Sparkle I think it's called. Fresh zingy and slightly spicy. Don't need much and it's £2 for what might be a 30ml or a 40ml tube. They do a vanilla and a cranberry one too. Both £2 in the sale.

I've got to go to L'Occitane tomorrow so might go and get one of those gift sets. Hmmm actually I think I've still got a few tucked away. Better check first as I'm not allowed to stockpile.

Now oddly that handcream was full price in my local Body Shop. It was in the sale in London and it is on the web so sorry if anyone has gone for a bargain and its still full price!

It has a gingerbread man on the packaging but its more like ginger cordial. It's fresh and zingy and not sweet like gingerbread.

Latest posts

Back