Birkenstock- are they really comfy?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

CLBA

Registered Shopper
Hello

I have never tried Birkenstocks- would you recommend guys?

Thanks
C x

Hi, i tried a pair of them years ago and could not get on with them, they seemed to make my feet look so big, and i did not find them very comfy,ended up throwing them out, but i do know others that rave about them, perhaps i just have funny feet!

xx

I love them and have about 15 pairs!! That must say it all. They are extremely comfortable and I can wear them all day doing loads of walking with no issues.

There are many different styles and some might suit you and fit you better. I have bought mine from loads of places including QVC but you can get better bargains. TK Maxx do lots quite cheap and I have bought them in Schuh in their end of summer sales.

Saying that I am now past 50 although I have glam high heeled shoes prefer to stick to the birkies or emus (in winter) for comfort rather than looks!

Thanks Letz-be-avenue.
I tried a pair on in TKMaxx I think and thought they felt odd- but on the show earlier they were saying you had to give your feet time to get used to em so just wondered! xx

Thanks Burly Bear and Rosey x
Rosey- I love my emus so maybe I would like the birkies if I wear them in - x

Used to be a Birkenstock fan way before they became popular here. A German friend introduced me to them about 20 years ago. That said, I became a Fitflop devotee 3 years ago - much more comfortable and I prefer the look of them, especially the prettier designs. And prices seem better esp as Fitflop do some great sale prices.

The first pair I tried were from TK and I bought my usual size. I could not get used to them and gave them to my daughter who thought they were great. Recently I tried a pair in a shoe shop but they were a size smaller than my usual size and they seemed much better so I went on Amazon and oredered them at over £10 pounds cheaper and I must say I love them and wear them a lot and I would certainly buy some more.

Birkenstocks are a classic Marmite item, I'm in the 'love' range. BUT I have to say they are not for everyone. I have huge boats for feet so nothing will look elegent anyway so have nothing to fear about looking 'ugly' [Burly :tongue2: :wink:] but they cradle your feet, hence always looking big. Then again, I swear by crocs too so I am a lost cause to fashion according to a lot of people anyway. To my own credit, I NEVER wear classic cayman Crocs, just shoe designs and no-one really knows they are Crocs. Birkenstocks are very comfy and some are also extremely pretty.

Mmm- haven't tried fitflops - will look into these too thanks Flamenco x
Thanks Betty Boo- maybe i would be best buying them in the flesh rather than off telly to make sure I get good fit x

Thanks Loujareth- I am more concerned with comfort than fashion but as you say some of he designs are pretty anyway- think I should taake the plunge and try some! x

I have several pairs of Fitflops too - they are really comfy but look a bit 'flip-floppy' if you know what a mean. A bit more casual and beach wear than round the shops etc. Even with the leather ones which I have.

They also sell Fitflops in TK Maxx.

I don't think you'll be disappointed CLBA. I've been wearing them for about four years now. I use them during the summer here and when I go on holiday (India, Mexico, Italy, Malaysia) Have found them to be very comfortable and hard wearing.

Thanks Loujareth- I am more concerned with comfort than fashion but as you say some of he designs are pretty anyway- think I should taake the plunge and try some! x

I love them CLBA :happy: I forget I have anything on my feet when I wear them, I wear them whenever I get the chance, I tried a cheaper brand and they "shaved" skin off my feet. Must say though, they do feel very strange on your feet when you first wear them, and please don't use them to walk much the first day you wear them, once they have moulded to your feet, they are very, very comfortable. They are getting too pricey as they are getting popular (like all other things) I like the Gizeh type, they look nicer on my feet, and can reassure you that the toe post is not uncomfortable. If you are trying on to see if "to buy or not to buy" maybe QVC is the best place, at least you only lose out on the postage if you have to return them.

Thanks rainbow dottie and arthursmum x
Rosey- I think a trip to TKMaxx for me to try birkies and fitflops! x

Thanks marcusstone- must be good to withstand sight-seeing etc x
Thanks caretodiffer- good point maybe qvc would be best for a first pair so I can give them a good try out before I mske up my mind - guess TKMaxx wouldn't give me that ! x

TKMaxx is def a good place to have a real look at them, or Costco - they have a basic limited range. A word of caution, if you do buy some, they will take time for you to mould as Caretodiffer has mentioned. Break them in gently and they will be so lovely. My first pair were around 12+ years ago, Gizehs and I hated them, couldn't get on with them at all, then a year later tried again, gave it some time and they were incredibly comfortable. I must have had around 20 pairs since then, have 4 pairs on the go now.

I would rather wear my high heels any day than my ruddy birkies. They kill my feet! They're not pretty but I could forgive them for that if only I could walk in the buggers but I can't. And I have tried to "wear them in". I'd rather throw them out than wear them in.

I would echo though that going down a size might be an idea. I wear a 7 in any shoe or boot you care to mention but I'm pretty sure Birkies kill my feet because they're too big. But I've yet to lose enough marbles to try another pair.

Latest posts

Back