Bob Mackie!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
Who remembers him ?

The car crash prints, the turquoise blouses with crimson and black wrought iron prints down the front, and the jackets with the equally bizarre colour schemes - but hey didn't we also get to see the original drawings by the designer ?

WELLLLL ! in today's D/Express there is a double page spread on him, and I DIDN'T KNOW he had designed the 'Happy Birthday' barely there dress that Marilyn wore as she sung to Kennedy. I DIDN'T KNOW he designed Cher's cobweb Oscar's outfit, I DIDN'T KNOW he designed a lot of Tina Turner's stage costumes !!!

BUT I DO KNOW the charity shop stuff he threw our way in the UK 🤭 🤭

Who remembers him ?

The car crash prints, the turquoise blouses with crimson and black wrought iron prints down the front, and the jackets with the equally bizarre colour schemes - but hey didn't we also get to see the original drawings by the designer ?

WELLLLL ! in today's D/Express there is a double page spread on him, and I DIDN'T KNOW he had designed the 'Happy Birthday' barely there dress that Marilyn wore as she sung to Kennedy. I DIDN'T KNOW he designed Cher's cobweb Oscar's outfit, I DIDN'T KNOW he designed a lot of Tina Turner's stage costumes !!!

BUT I DO KNOW the charity shop stuff he threw our way in the UK 🤭 🤭
Many of his famous designs were fabulous, the stuff on the Q..? I've just gone on to eBay & found this thing; I know that I bought one, in fact this could be mine. What was I thinking?

Last edited:
I knew about Bob Mackie as Cher's designer.
Q cannot have enhanced his reputation by putting his name on some of the grim "designs" they dredged up from the depths of the warehouse.

Many of his famous designs were fabulous, the stuff on the Q..? I've just gone on to eBay & found this thing; I know that I bought one, in fact this could be mine. What was I thinking?

YESSSS !! the fleeces with the wrought iron work - jeeez what our brain remembers eh ?

Well done you for fessing up. Good for the dressing up box?

Charity shop chic daahlings!
'My' Chazzer would reject that. Some chazzers are so snobby & you'd baulk at what goes in the bin. I know I do. I try & rescue stuff (dog bed) but it crowds me out!
I f you have really shite stuff lurking, (guilty!) it's more likely to be accepted in a less affluent area. They do take clean tatty stuff for rags, but point this out so as to prevent anamateur binning it.

Think he just sold the name and whoever owns turns out the tat we get on QVC.

I believe he designed for the show Dynasty?

We want the Marilyn/Cher styles on QVC, yes, Flinty standing in a slinky number with Charlie wearing a little off the shoulder number in satin.

Think he just sold the name and whoever owns turns out the tat we get on QVC.

I believe he designed for the show Dynasty?

We want the Marilyn/Cher styles on QVC, yes, Flinty standing in a slinky number with Charlie wearing a little off the shoulder number in satin.

It was Nolan Miller who designed for Dynasty, and I think he also 'created' a range for Freemans (or one of the catalogues 🤭 )

Oh My!!! That was fleece! wtf?? I'll never take you seriously again, Twilight. Having said that, you must have a great SOH!!!

Ha ! ha ! but, I think QVC were going through a bit of a phase around 10-15 years ago with designers who were putting their outlandish designs on any fabric that was cheap enough. Indigo Moon (yep I bought some) were heavy with embroidery / beads/sequins, there was also another designer (can't remember) who claimed to have worked with Yves St Laurent - he was quite a tall chap and taught at a school of design in the U.S and always spoke of his 'milky' jersey that he 'invented'.

'My' Chazzer would reject that. Some chazzers are so snobby & you'd baulk at what goes in the bin. I know I do. I try & rescue stuff (dog bed) but it crowds me out!
I f you have really shite stuff lurking, (guilty!) it's more likely to be accepted in a less affluent area. They do take clean tatty stuff for rags, but point this out so as to prevent anamateur binning it.
I think you have to shop around for where to donate to charity as well as where to shop.
Growing up in quite an affluent area, I was always in the charity shops with my mum and gran. It was easier then as I was a size 12 in those days. I was able to put together a very unique style for weekends, evenings and then sixth form. Before that, my late father took me shopping to menswear stores and before that my gran used to make most of my clothes. What that gave me, which I am eternally grateful for, is the confidence to dress differently to my peers in any environment.
Now I admit I blend in more, but I'm closer to 60 than 50 and an 18+ size-wise, so the options for a non-dressmaker are more homogenised.
I have never wanted to look like everyone else, and when people commented that I looked different, I wore it as a badge of honour, not a mark of shame. How I would fare now, in the age of social media...? I have no idea.

I knew he was a famous designer, but not THAT famous ! His QVC designs were too bold and 'in your face' for me. Talk about 'your clothes wearing you.'

Ha ! ha ! but, I think QVC were going through a bit of a phase around 10-15 years ago with designers who were putting their outlandish designs on any fabric that was cheap enough. Indigo Moon (yep I bought some) were heavy with embroidery / beads/sequins, there was also another designer (can't remember) who claimed to have worked with Yves St Laurent - he was quite a tall chap and taught at a school of design in the U.S and always spoke of his 'milky' jersey that he 'invented'.
Was that George Symmington (?) . I bought a couple of his pieces and they were extremely good quality and well made. In fact I still have a dress which will never fit me again but I like it so much I won’t throw it away just in case.

Was that George Symmington (?) . I bought a couple of his pieces and they were extremely good quality and well made. In fact I still have a dress which will never fit me again but I like it so much I won’t throw it away just in case.
George Simonton. He was a very nice guest, but the clothes were disappointing, considering he is a professor at a fashion college!

Latest posts

Back