Boxig Day, and the sale HAS started!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Same here,I'm not into spending on stuff I don't need anymore.It used to be a big ongoing joke in our house that my bedroom was like a branch of Debenhams ,but I got rid of so much of it and now buy when needed and the odd treat.

Sounds boring but I use money saved on going out and away more.i am pretty much over my QVC phase...

Same here,I'm not into spending on stuff I don't need anymore.It used to be a big ongoing joke in our house that my bedroom was like a branch of Debenhams ,but I got rid of so much of it and now buy when needed and the odd treat.

Sounds boring but I use money saved on going out and away more.i am pretty much over my QVC phase...

Same here! I gave a huge bag of unwanted toiletries to a local woman's refuge before xmas. They were doing a xmas appeal for essentials and luxuries (if available) for the women that would sadly end up there over the festive period. There were things like pro collagen marine cream, Liz Earle moisturisers, OPI polishes and lots of Decleor and L'O body stuff in there. I felt sick at how much I had that I didn't need, and how much they would be welcomed by these poor women. I am in the middle of sorting my dressing room out again and already have 2 bags ready for the PDSA! No more!!! I actually enjoy the feeling of not having stuff more than I enjoy buying. I have bought a couple of fitness related items to replace worn out stuff, and a purse from the Lulu Guinness sale out of xmas money, as I have been on the perfect purse quest since selling an old one - but other than that I really, really don't need anything.

I didn't brave the sales as I felt unwell, and I am glad now having seen the news! I bought trainers online (£22!!) instead and preserved my sanity! I don't want anything else, so that's my sale shopping done :mysmilie_59:

Oh the Lulu Guinness sale is on for those interested. Started Christmas Eve but there is still quite a bit left.

Hope you are feeling better, MinxyKitten.
I have not been to the sales either, fearing that I will be tempted to buy something that I don't need, simply because it is in the sale :mysmilie_17: I don't know why the word "sale" makes us, human beings buy something that we would not have bought otherwise!

Hope you are feeling better, MinxyKitten.
I have not been to the sales either, fearing that I will be tempted to buy something that I don't need, simply because it is in the sale :mysmilie_17: I don't know why the word "sale" makes us, human beings buy something that we would not have bought otherwise!

It's crazy isn't it? I am deternined to focus on me/my health and wellbeing this year. Shopping is so 2014, ha ha!!!

I am feeling better, thank you for asking. Think it was just tiredness from travel and over - indulgence of food on hols and xmas day. Bleurgh!!

My friend wanted to go shopping tomorrow but she rang me earlier and said she was sick of spending. Then in the next breath she said she is thinking of coming to one of my fitness classes in the new year. So, I've roped her into a brisk walk first thing tomorrow and she is really looking forward to it :) I have my alternative snow grip things for my trainers in case it's as frosty as it was this morning!

Stay away from the sales!

I think it was such a lovely idea to take unwanted toiletries to a woman's refuge, I am going to see if there is one near me to see if they need any stuff, even if i live to be 100 I doubt I will have used all the stuff I seem to have hoarded, I really intend making some good new year resolutions and sticking to them, one is to spend less on stuff I don't need ( are you listening Q?!) and getting fitter, could do with some new trainers though :mysmilie_17:

I think it was such a lovely idea to take unwanted toiletries to a woman's refuge, I am going to see if there is one near me to see if they need any stuff, even if i live to be 100 I doubt I will have used all the stuff I seem to have hoarded, I really intend making some good new year resolutions and sticking to them, one is to spend less on stuff I don't need ( are you listening Q?!) and getting fitter, could do with some new trainers though :mysmilie_17:

You may not be allowed to take the items directly to the refuge because most boroughs try to keep the address of such places a secret. Many of the women are fleeing violent partners and the last thing they need are violent men trying to break into the refuge or turning up on the doorstep in an aggressive mood or trying to see their children. Your local Social Services might have a drop off point for donations, my local SS asked people to leave donations at their offices. I worked with the other side of the coin as it were. The men who were abusive and now and again with men who also suffered abuse from women. Yes it happens more often than you think. One Christmas Day the Police brought a guy who`se wife was an alcoholic and whilst drunk and serving Christmas dinner she stuck the meat fork right through his arm just because she felt like it. After A and E had stitched him up the poor bloke finally saw sense after several years in a violent abusive relationship with an unstable woman and asked the Police to take him to a place of safety. Sadly in my 13 years doing the job , he wasn`t the first abused man and certainly wasn`t the last.

Ass
You may not be allowed to take the items directly to the refuge because most boroughs try to keep the address of such places a secret. Many of the women are fleeing violent partners and the last thing they need are violent men trying to break into the refuge or turning up on the doorstep in an aggressive mood or trying to see their children. Your local Social Services might have a drop off point for donations, my local SS asked people to leave donations at their offices. I worked with the other side of the coin as it were. The men who were abusive and now and again with men who also suffered abuse from women. Yes it happens more often than you think. One Christmas Day the Police brought a guy who`se wife was an alcoholic and whilst drunk and serving Christmas dinner she stuck the meat fork right through his arm just because she felt like it. After A and E had stitched him up the poor bloke finally saw sense after several years in a violent abusive relationship with an unstable woman and asked the Police to take him to a place of safety. Sadly in my 13 years doing the job , he wasn`t the first abused man and certainly wasn`t the last.

Oh many thanks Vienna, I will make some enquiries with social services and see what they say :mysmilie_59:

Ah but new trainers would be purposeful - that's allowed ;-)

Yes I thought it was a fab idea. A friend organised it but I'm sure if you called your local Women's Aid or something similar they could advise. They also asked for colouring stuff for the kids, "if they could be spared". That's all they said, not "toys", just pure and simple colouring stuff. So humbling. I bought a load from Tesco and also spent just a tenner on own brand essentials like deodrant, toothpaste, sponges, shower gel. It's amazing how much you can get when you buy own brand. I am hoping my friend will make it a regular thing. I remember years ago I knew of one near to where I lived so I took all my unwanted clothes in. Last year another friend was appealing for bedding and towels so I gave again then. I really do buy too much stuff!! But someone always benefits from it, between the women's refuges and the pdsa, I have to keep shopping to do my bit, ha ha!!

One thing that stuck with me was my friend telling me that most of these women escape from home in the middle of the night. They turn up at the refuge in the clothes they are standing in and that's it. Same for the kids. She said they don't care what state stuff is in, they are so grateful to be safe that they'll use anything. Breaks my heart.

Actually yes, my friend was taking it all to a drop-off point. The friend last year volunteered with them, so that's how that happened, and the first place I knew of as I had an interview to do my placement there when I was doing my psychology degree. There'll be ways though, contact the charities like Women's Aid etc and Social Services like Vienna said.

Latest posts

Back