Brainwashed ?????

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Wrongsideof40

Registered Shopper
Why do I feel the need to pick up the phone and buy off the TV ? If I was in a shop and saw the TSV, I wouldn't dream of parting with £72 to buy it. Yet I see things on the TV and I must have them. It's ridiculous ! Not only skincare but many other things that I have bought , I would not have bought if I had seen them in a shop. Please say I am not the only one. :sweat: :whew:

Don't worry WSO40. You're not the only one.
We bought two of the Liz Earle TSV's last month in different options. Came to over £87.00.
There is no way in hell I would spend that kind of money in a shop for something just to wash with.
QVC are a cult and we have all been sucked in one way or another.

Yep I agree! If I'm in a shop and not too sure i'll wonder around abit and have a think and 9/10 times I will put it back on the shelf. I think with the telly, its harder, your in the comfort of your own home, can see the stuff being used and if its got easy pay then its almost too hard to resist at times.

Plus all the talk of the stock and how much it would be full price etc gets you into the buying frame of mind. As soon as the 'limited stock' sign flashes up and if I'm thinking about buying it I go into a mini panic and end up reaching for the phone or laptop (and regretting it straight away when I realise how much cash is going to be coming out of my account in a day or two!).

You are definately not the only one
I am exactly the same, I find the easiest way is not to watch and have really cut my QVC spending in the last year by not watching as much but still get sucked in from time to time but usually on items I am interested in.

When I go in to shops with cash I always spend less than I would if I was paying with a card, it doesnt feel like you are spending the same when you use a card and wonder if that has something to do with it.

There is a good research project in this for someone! I think so many of us think and act the same.I spend very little as I go round the shops, nowhere near what I have spent ( & the things) I have bought from QVC.Some of my more recent purchases have been returned as & realised I acted on impulse--- or more laptop at the ready & glass of wine in hand!I know I have spent the p&p but it's a lot less than keeping & spending the full price.I think we should have a Summer School ( somewhere nice) to help the cure along.

You are definately not the only one
I am exactly the same, I find the easiest way is not to watch and have really cut my QVC spending in the last year by not watching as much but still get sucked in from time to time but usually on items I am interested in.

When I go in to shops with cash I always spend less than I would if I was paying with a card, it doesnt feel like you are spending the same when you use a card and wonder if that has something to do with it.

Definitely. Not seeing real actual cash changing hands makes it easy not to realise just how much you're spending.

Mum can't get out to shop normally, so she ends up buying and then wakes up in cold sweat in the morning when she realises that her bank is going to be empty soon! She finds it fun trying the brands though, but none have worked :D (Don't hit me, those were her words, I swear!!) She's still searching for the fountain of youth elixir.

Its often the bags, boxes etc that come with producs that get me seduced. So many times when I try justifying buying something else I didnt really need to my loved ones, I hear the same words coming out of my mouth...'I just couldnt resist the colour,design of the packaging'...how sad is that, Your all so right...I wouldnt give the products a second glance on the high street, especially at £72 a pop.... Cant they just sell em in a brown paper bag, then maybe id have more will power...but then again a brown paper bag can be quite appealing if it has a purple design on it!!!!!:sweat:

There is a good research project in this for someone! I think so many of us think and act the same.I spend very little as I go round the shops, nowhere near what I have spent ( & the things) I have bought from QVC.Some of my more recent purchases have been returned as & realised I acted on impulse--- or more laptop at the ready & glass of wine in hand!I know I have spent the p&p but it's a lot less than keeping & spending the full price.I think we should have a Summer School ( somewhere nice) to help the cure along.

That has made me chuckle as that is how I ended up with a new flat screen tv. Seemed like a good idea with as you say lap top one side glass of vino the other. Have looked at prices and definitely could have got it cheaper on the high street:blush:

We should celebrate QVC as without it we wouldn't have so many laughs on here! Now we just have to crack the 'WATCH BUT DONT SPEND'!!

Impulsive shopping......

Why do I feel the need to pick up the phone and buy off the TV ? If I was in a shop and saw the TSV, I wouldn't dream of parting with £72 to buy it. Yet I see things on the TV and I must have them. It's ridiculous ! Not only skincare but many other things that I have bought , I would not have bought if I had seen them in a shop. Please say I am not the only one. :sweat: :whew:

Looks like there are plenty of us out there and its even easier if you don't even have to pick up the phone
(a bit arduous imho!!) and with only one mouseclick on 'add to cart' - its job done! Trouble is they show us items
that we should have AND need, that perhaps we'd not even given a thought to five minutes earlier.

Sucker.......moi.......mais oui.........:blush:

I am guilty of this too.

My "moment" came when I bought a featherbed.Theres no way I would have even looked at it in a store - let alone paid what I did for it :sweat: That was the moment I said to myself,I wouldn't have looked twice at this ..................I'm just brainwashed:doh:

And I think thats what QVC do well.You see products all the time in one long continous loop until you feel you must have it - and the day it comes on easy pay or free P&P,you go for it - when in reality you would think about it in a shop.

I've managed to stop myself by asking would I really pay that in a shop? and its worked well for me.I did recently buy some birkenstocks on easy pay - and when they came I had to ask myself would I have paid £50 in TKMaxx for them? Would I bugger.I'd pick them,look at the price tag,and put them straight back down again.

I think we're temporarily dazzled because the item is on TV! We lose our minds and then regain our minds again when we get the credit card bill

Yes, I'm afraid I agree too.

They are good on some things i.e. set of three Lola Rose 'bambi' braclets - £21 each at Lola Rose - but 3 for £39ish....BUT that said...I wouldn't have been introduced to LR if I never watched QVC!!

The only thing that holds me back now is the p+p. Literally just now I was watching and was tempted - but £5.95 postage tips the balance for me.

It's a hard discipline!!

I guess all these incredibly irritating presenters we spend so much time on here pulling to bits, are very good at what they do otherwise they wouldn't still have a job.

This Elemis TSV, although a good price for what you get, is actually costing £78.07 altogether which is an awful lot of money. I must say I was tempted but then when I thought about it, it was only really for the night cream as I have only just got another Decleor hydrofloral for daytime. I would have put the Decleor one away and started using the Elemis but then Decleor is expensive in its own right, too expensive to be slung in a drawer.

It's only good value if everything is used. I wonder how many of us actually finish everything in a TSV to the very end of the pot and then re-order.

I am lucky, I can get out and about, and sometimes spend (if I have the cash), so I tend to think, I'll have a day window shopping (or for real shopping) touch and try the object (of course, if it IS available on the High Street), then if I can get it on Amazon, that's who usually sees my cash in the end and it is my real downfall, however, M&S and East are also failings of mine!!!!

When I get *the urge* I stop myself for a minute and think. "If I was in town now shopping, and I saw this in a shop would I feel compelled to buy this". Most times the answer is a no and I pass on whatever it was that was seducing me and then the next day think. ' You know what I can live without that'. Makes my bank balance a lot happier.

When I get *the urge* I stop myself for a minute and think. "If I was in town now shopping, and I saw this in a shop would I feel compelled to buy this". Most times the answer is a no and I pass on whatever it was that was seducing me and then the next day think. ' You know what I can live without that'. Makes my bank balance a lot happier.

Very true, however the thing that gets me is 'ok, I really like the sound of that night cream which is part of that set, if I buy it on it's own it will cost me 70% of the price of that WHOLE set...so I'd be daft not to buy it....'

Then I'm in that trap of unplanned spending vs logic of buying it now with lots of extras...:wonder:

I'm also guilty of adding it into the cart especially L'Occitane TSV's. When I go into the L'Occ store, I select the things I like but only one shower gel/body cream etc in a fragarance I like. I resisted the last TSV :whew: as I bought a few of the Christmas one and have a stockpile of things I'm not so keen on. I did check L'Occitane online and bought what I needed with a discount code. :wink:
I think it's the illusion that you're getting bargain but I'm telling myself it isn't a bargain if I don't need it. :giggle: even if all the items are significantly more when you add the prices. :wave:

What a fantastic thread and full of good humour, chuckles and laughs. I can so easily identify myself with so much of what has been said. Must admit though I have looked at today's TSV and as others have said I would not dream of spending that amount of money in a store. Plus I have skin care galore at the moment and let's face it there is always a fab elemis tsv on the go at some point...or decleor...or gatineau. Plus we don't usually have to wait that long for them to come around either!! :grin:

Latest posts

Back