butler and wilson hairband

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
I know B & W items are pretty expensive in the great scheme of things, and are paying for the B & W name, but even I was brought up short at the price of this headband on waitlist, at £39.00.

I make, design and sell headbands and fascinators (and party masks) at craft fairs etc, and I have sold similar to this for...... £8 and still able to make a small profit - not taking into account my time. The crystals come on strips from China, and the headbands themselves cost peanuts - around £1 or less. Simon's stuff is made in the far East, so bearing in mind my costs, imagine how much it would cost in materials to make this one.

Funny how you see an item on the tele and are prepared to pay a lot of money, but see the same item at a craft fair, and the likes of me are hard pushed to ask more than a tenner, because people simply wont pay it !

So next time you happen to visit a craft fair and you see hand made goods, be mindful that people have sat sometimes for hours creating a beautiful item, and their pricing barely reflects that.

https://www.qvcuk.com/Butler-&-Wilson-Crystal-Bead-Hairband.product.319289.html?sc=IROA

I know B & W items are pretty expensive in the great scheme of things, and are paying for the B & W name, but even I was brought up short at the price of this headband on waitlist, at £39.00.

I make, design and sell headbands and fascinators (and party masks) at craft fairs etc, and I have sold similar to this for...... £8 and still able to make a small profit - not taking into account my time. The crystals come on strips from China, and the headbands themselves cost peanuts - around £1 or less. Simon's stuff is made in the far East, so bearing in mind my costs, imagine how much it would cost in materials to make this one.

Funny how you see an item on the tele and are prepared to pay a lot of money, but see the same item at a craft fair, and the likes of me are hard pushed to ask more than a tenner, because people simply wont pay it !

So next time you happen to visit a craft fair and you see hand made goods, be mindful that people have sat sometimes for hours creating a beautiful item, and their pricing barely reflects that.

https://www.qvcuk.com/Butler-&-Wilson-Crystal-Bead-Hairband.product.319289.html?sc=IROA

I know Brissles, I have a former colleague and a neighbour who both make cards and I know how much work goes into them.

How right you are! Mum and I used to do craft fairs and sell our knitting, mostly babies, children's and dolls things. We never sold much and all we got were people coming to the stall and saying "look at the price of that Mavis, you could make those" or people asking if they could take photos of our (individually designed) items!! Our items were never over priced, usually under priced, people really liked them but not prepared to put their hand in their pocket. Then they go to Next or Gap and pay a fortune for baby items without blinking.

CC

Can I just also add, again if you visit a craft fair, that you actually take the time to LOOK !

Ok, maybe what we have on offer is not for you, but it can be so demoralising to have hoards of crowds (if we're lucky) who just walk straight by without so much as a glance at the stall. It takes time, effort and travelling to achieve a nice looking set-up, yet pushchairs, wheelchairs and pedestrians all glide by without a second look. Its then most of us stallholders look at each other and say "why do they bother to come ! ".

Just shows how gullible some people are. Do they think others people will know they are wearing a B&W head band and perhaps be envious? It looks more like something cheap and plasticky to me.

Its all about the name, oh they have a shop in Mayfair it must be posh. Simon knows all these famous people and made stuff for them.

So many of the QVC customers do seem to wear rose-tinted glasses.

I think a large percentage of BW stuff is hideous. It looks cheap and nasty. There`s someone on Q`s facebook page showing off an awful looking tiger necklace and declaring their love for BW stuff and Simon.
You can walk around any high street department store and see much nicer costume jewellery for much less money and that`s basically what BW stuff is ie cheaply made Chinese bling.

When Butler and Wilson first came to QVC their stuff was top notch. I bought a few pieces and they were really good quality, never cheap but you were getting what you paid for. I sold most of it on Ebay some years ago when I was a bit short of cash and I got very good prices for them. I recently ordered the bull terrier keyring which was over £40 with postage but although I loved it, it was way overpriced and the quality wasn't good so I reluctantly sent it back. The things they have on the shows now just look cheap and tacky. I guess Simon has made his money and is keeping it going by relying on his faithful customers despite not offering the same goods.

CC

Me to CC. I still have, and wear, some beautiful CLIP ON dangly earrings that he used to bring to air many years ago, and a selection of glamour bracelets and necklaces, - nothing like the stuff that's now offered. We even had to wait a year before he did a TSV and it was always eagerly awaited, not anymore.

Do you have a website, Brissles?

How right you are! Mum and I used to do craft fairs and sell our knitting, mostly babies, children's and dolls things. We never sold much and all we got were people coming to the stall and saying "look at the price of that Mavis, you could make those" or people asking if they could take photos of our (individually designed) items!! Our items were never over priced, usually under priced, people really liked them but not prepared to put their hand in their pocket. Then they go to Next or Gap and pay a fortune for baby items without blinking.

CC

How jolly rude!!! Amazing! Some people just cannot bear to purchase off others who use their talent/gusto/initiative to try & make a few quid! What did you say to the photo requests? I'd have loved to have been a fly on the wall.......

Can I just also add, again if you visit a craft fair, that you actually take the time to LOOK !

Ok, maybe what we have on offer is not for you, but it can be so demoralising to have hoards of crowds (if we're lucky) who just walk straight by without so much as a glance at the stall. It takes time, effort and travelling to achieve a nice looking set-up, yet pushchairs, wheelchairs and pedestrians all glide by without a second look. Its then most of us stallholders look at each other and say "why do they bother to come ! ".

I often like to look, but then feel bad if I don't buy, after raising expectations by browsing, especially if the stallholder starts to verbally promote the items. That's why I don't browse, even though I'd like too.

I think a large percentage of BW stuff is hideous. It looks cheap and nasty. There`s someone on Q`s facebook page showing off an awful looking tiger necklace and declaring their love for BW stuff and Simon.
You can walk around any high street department store and see much nicer costume jewellery for much less money and that`s basically what BW stuff is ie cheaply made Chinese bling.

Totally agree. I have always thought most of it looks like it came out of Pat Butchers' jewellery box. Yuk!

I often like to look, but then feel bad if I don't buy, after raising expectations by browsing, especially if the stallholder starts to verbally promote the items. That's why I don't browse, even though I'd like too.
I'm the same and feel guilty raising expectations by browsing and then leaving with nothing; and even I'd like to look at something I shy away and walk on. I haven't been to craft fair but when passing a stole with some handmade jewellery.

B&W built up their name in the 70’s when they were regarded as high fashion jewellery ( not that many will remember that time back!) also there was little like them then. QVC must have kept them going with a dedicated following who think they are getting something special.I have some pieces from the early days but now rarely watch the shows as many are little animal pins or huge garish dragons & the like, not my taste.You are right about craft fairs and people making bespoke garments, many do not understand the work and want to pay peanuts yet will pay out for B&W made in China.

Please talk to us stallholders at craft fairs. We know not everyone will buy but a little chat does no harm and sometimes after talking to us people come back and do actually buy something. As for the people who wanted to photograph the goods, it was a couple of kids jumpers that I had designed and mum had knitted and the folk really liked them but didn't want to buy them, just to photograph them, steal the idea, knit them themselves and sell them as their designs on ebay.

CC

Please talk to us stallholders at craft fairs. We know not everyone will buy but a little chat does no harm and sometimes after talking to us people come back and do actually buy something. As for the people who wanted to photograph the goods, it was a couple of kids jumpers that I had designed and mum had knitted and the folk really liked them but didn't want to buy them, just to photograph them, steal the idea, knit them themselves and sell them as their designs on ebay.

CC

Rude, rude, rude.

After having occasions when people would whip out their Smartphones to take pictures, I decided to have a donation box on the stall with a notice saying "in return for photographs please make a donation to the Retired Greyhound Trust". No photos are taken now !!!

(Sister Bliss, no I don't have a website, but I could send pics by email if you want to private message me)

Latest posts

Back