Butler & Wilson

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

historymystery

Registered Shopper
I caught a little of this hour yesterday, and don't think Simon was looking good at all. His blonde haircolour, combined with the old-fashioned haircut, does him no favours at all, he looks like a 1930's matinee idol, and he looked as though he'd definitely overdone it with the "help" to his face, his face barely moved when he , it was as though he was speaking through barely opened lips. The jewellery is so overpriced for what it is - there was a necklace being sold and although the colourless stones version looked reasonably OK, the multi-coloured version really did look cheap and nasty, like something from a funfair stall. How they could have been asking fifty quid for it, plus p & p, I cannot see. Many years ago, when B & W first became known (I think Princess Di used to wear some of their pieces) I actually thought some of their stuff was pretty and unusual, now it seems just gimmicky and tacky.

Its all part of the throw away fashion thing that we are indoctrinated with. I'm prepared to pay a bit more for reasonable quality but many will wear things once or twice and throw it out.

If we want cheap produced stuff we shouldn't be surprised when its rubbish.I think most on here are bit more savvy about the tat currently being sold. I agree Simons originals were different and better quality. I loved the black crystal necklaces and earings he did.

I should add that more expensive doesnt mean better quality as discussed on the YK thread. So what can we do.Revert to the high street and get a proper look /feel of things.

Last edited:
I have liked some B&W pieces in the past even though some were OTT for my taste I could appreciate how they would appeal to some people.Now--the few pieces I have seen last night and today I can't believe how garish and tacky they look.I found in my clearing out last year a small Lizard broach I have had since the '70's VERY tame now!At least I am not at all tempted by anything.

Totally agree ! with the comments that his older pieces were better.

I have some really glitzy dangly CLIP ON earrings he used to do, and the 'mirrored' stone bracelets, all have lasted and are always complimented on (usually worn on cruises), but I wouldn't give a carrot for all the cheap kiddy type stuff he churns out now. He always compliments himself, and everything is SOOOOOO AMAAAAAAAAZING !

I love it !! can't abide skeleton skulls, but I cant help laughing at that ad - his dancing is tremendous !!

We had a pair of Butler & Wilson earrings come into our charity shop so I had a good chance to examine them. Frankly I was not overly impressed by the quality and would not have paid full price for them, I have seen better in the department stores.

I've never understood the appeal of the ghastly Simon and his tat.

Some of his high end real crystal stuff is probably OK .His shop is full of larger more substantial items at least it used to be. I used to work round the corner and occasionally would have a look.

That's not what we get from Q though especially the last couple of years. I too dislike the skulls and spiders.

Absolutely agree. In the past, I liked his withering comments to some of the dozy presenters they partnered him with, and the way he sometimes looked at them like they'd crawled from under a stone when they were talking the usual carp, but he seems less sharp and witty these days and increasingly full of the self-congratulatory comments. I think the old stuff spoke for itself, these days the rubbish pedalled obviously needs all the help it can get!

Totally agree ! with the comments that his older pieces were better.

I have some really glitzy dangly CLIP ON earrings he used to do, and the 'mirrored' stone bracelets, all have lasted and are always complimented on (usually worn on cruises), but I wouldn't give a carrot for all the cheap kiddy type stuff he churns out now. He always compliments himself, and everything is SOOOOOO AMAAAAAAAAZING !

I have a lot of his items, and I love them all. I've got some skulls as they're quite quirky and different and I like them, would NEVER even consider getting a snake or spider item as they freak me out. But every one of the items I have is very good quality. I have purchased some and sent them back as they were poor, it wouldn't stop me sending for something I like. I will admit though, I very rarely buy them off QVC as often the items are cheaper direct from his own website, or I just wait for his sale.

Latest posts

Back