Charlie Bears : Am I being cynical?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
I have made only one purchase from the Charlie Bears range, Rhubarb and Crumble, mainly because it was a limited edition. Upon receipt I could understand, visually, why the bears are so affordable, and haven't bought another. Fervent archtophiles will want to collect smaller limited edition bears made by well respected companies, such as Steiff and Hermann. Charlie Bears have their place and will enable people who cannot afford or cannot justify spending over £100 on a bear. Now Charlie Bears appear to be doing exactly what other vendors have done; introduce the range at extremely reasonable prices then, gradually, increase the prices, as has happened with the minimos and other bears which are not even LEs and are not, therefore, as good value as they initially appear to be. I realise that Charlotte and Will both give the impression on air that they absolutely adore their bears but, ultimately, they are a business and need to generate as many sales as possible. If they need to come across as being really gushy over their bears, then that is what they will do. It also annoys me when, each time they guest, they give us yet another synopsis of the way in which they met! In a bear shop? Do we believe that one? And finally, prior to ending this ranting cynicism, another sales ploy which is paying off for them is, I feel, their constant pleas to the teddy bear family to write in and 'suggest' names for the bears!

A little bit cynical? Maybe :cheeky:
I like them. Charlotte did run/work in a teddy shop up North, so it wouldn't be all that much of a stretch for the pair to have met there. As for the affordabililty factor, as I understand it Charlotte wanted everyone to be able to afford collectable bears. There's no reason why she shouldn't also offer more expensive ones. For me, although I love them, the mohair bears are not an option - as I'm allergic to mohair! It's the only time any of my allergies have saved, rather than cost, money!

I have made only one purchase from the Charlie Bears range, Rhubarb and Crumble, mainly because it was a limited edition. Upon receipt I could understand, visually, why the bears are so affordable, and haven't bought another. Fervent archtophiles will want to collect smaller limited edition bears made by well respected companies, such as Steiff and Hermann. Charlie Bears have their place and will enable people who cannot afford or cannot justify spending over £100 on a bear. Now Charlie Bears appear to be doing exactly what other vendors have done; introduce the range at extremely reasonable prices then, gradually, increase the prices, as has happened with the minimos and other bears which are not even LEs and are not, therefore, as good value as they initially appear to be. I realise that Charlotte and Will both give the impression on air that they absolutely adore their bears but, ultimately, they are a business and need to generate as many sales as possible. If they need to come across as being really gushy over their bears, then that is what they will do. It also annoys me when, each time they guest, they give us yet another synopsis of the way in which they met! In a bear shop? Do we believe that one? And finally, prior to ending this ranting cynicism, another sales ploy which is paying off for them is, I feel, their constant pleas to the teddy bear family to write in and 'suggest' names for the bears!

Louise for the record i agree 100%. the whole thing is an illusion. However each to their own. And as the stuffed toy lovers jump onto this thread to defend Charlie and their fluffy friends can I just suggest that the comments are kept to the subject at hand... i.e the bears and the couple flogging them on telly, and that we dont end up slagging off fellow forum members?

Yes Tinaborder... i mean you.

Thankyou
*waves arm like a teddy bear controlled by Charlie*

Louise for the record i agree 100%. the whole thing is an illusion. However each to their own. And as the stuffed toy lovers jump onto this thread to defend Charlie and their fluffy friends can I just suggest that the comments are kept to the subject at hand... i.e the bears and the couple flogging them on telly, and that we dont end up slagging off fellow forum members?

Yes Tinaborder... i mean you.

Thankyou
*waves arm like a teddy bear controlled by Charlie*

A bit rich coming from you isn't it!!??!!

I'm fed up of the narrowmindedness of many people on here. I REALLY CANNOT BE BOTHERED ANYMORE!
BTW, I know for a fact that the story of how Will and Charlie met is true, but no doubt I'll get shot down in flames about that too.

A bit rich coming from you isn't it!!??!!

I'm fed up of the narrowmindedness of many people on here. I REALLY CANNOT BE BOTHERED ANYMORE!
BTW, I know for a fact that the story of how Will and Charlie met is true, but no doubt I'll get shot down in flames about that too.

not at all. i direct my comments at the television, not my fellow forum members - unlike you. thats unless they refer to me directly of course, as you should know from our past exchanges. look back at my posts and you'll see for yourself. i made a tiny exception by referring to you above because i knew you'd be all over this thread like a rash and i didnt really want you slagging off the OP for having an opinion. ok?

It's obvious that Charlie Bears is a business, and has to shift Product to survive. It seems equally obvious to me that Charlotte is passionate about teddy bears, and especially about bear collectors. She remembers the name of every bear they've come out with - which must run to hundreds - and she seems to remember most of the collectors she meets at signing events. I'm not sure Will is really a lover of teddy bears, but I suspect Charlotte would be too nervous to appear on-screen on her own, so Will is there to dilute the pressure. He knows the show's being watched by thousands of teddy fanatics, so what would you expect him to say?

Loads of the guests tell the same story over and over - how often have we heard about Mally and the mascara, or Lulu Guinness' designs being in the V&A, or Lola Rose starting in Nicki's kitchen? It's to do with brand identity, and the fact that many viewers are new to the channel and the brand. It's no different to hearing 'Because you're worth it', and automatically thinking of l'Oreal. Of course it gets old when you've heard it for the twentieth time, but there will always be a bunch of newbies for whom it's the first time, and that's who it's intended for. Isn't that obvious?

I'm baffled as to why these two seem to stir up such resentment.

I don't watch many charlie bear hours.The bits I do dip in and out of,I think of their bears are very sweet.I was *almost* taken with a grizzly type character the other day,who had huge paws and jowls round his mouth ~ very sweet.

Then at the end of the day,I wonder where I'm going to put them,what really am I going to do with something that cost me £50 ish? It may sit on my sofa or bed for a while -before being thrown to the back of the bedroom.I'm being honest when I say my house is my pride and joy,my absolute passion - and I can see £50 being better spent on something else.

But thats not be offensive to those that do buy.We all like different things and buy for different reasons.I love my NN bedding,but I'm not offended by the slating it gets on here.I collect Lladro and owls for many personal reasons and somewhere along the line I seemed to have started a collection of teapots???!!! Not to everyones taste,I'm sure!

I think the lady that sells charlie bears is lovely.I can imagine her in her shop,lovingly looking at all her bears.Her partner I can take to at all.He is actually the one that makes me switch over.He makes my skin crawl and seems the most ungueniune (sp) person.

Whilst i agree with the OP's view that the bears are sneaking up in price i don't necessarily agree with other comments. The minimo's ARE limited editions, most to the 2000 mark, plush...well obviously they aren't. I personally think that the range still represents good value for money....i've seen a smaller Steiff (5cm's tall) at more money than most of the minimo's! Re William & Charlotte....I quite like them both, but as with most QVC guests/presenters its "marmite" We love them or hate them.

There's a lot being said about the prices going up. It's nothing strange or cynical. The price of everything is going up. Just think what you spend on food these days.

The price of mohair by the metre has absolutely rocketed over the last few years.
Around five or six years ago you used to be able to buy a metre of the very shortest pile mohair, the types mostly used in tiny bears,for around the £45-£55 mark but now you have to pay £80+ at least.
The long pile mohairs have always been far more expensive £100 a metre upwards some more like £200, especially fancy dyes like the tipped ones.
The biggest jump in price came around four years ago.
It didn't help that the last remaining mohair weaver in the UK closed down so now it's all imported so the exchange rate has to be taken into account.

The synthetic plush that a lot of the Charlie Bears are made of is much cheaper than mohair but the fancier ones are still not cheap. Of the largish bears you would still only get two at most out of a metre. You are always restricted by the lay of the pile when cutting out the pieces so this can cause quite a lot of wastage in pile with an obvious nap which all except the very, very short 1/4 inch pile has.

Then of course there's the other stuff, joints, stuffing, threads, eyes before you even include labour costs.

Last edited:
Yes but Charlie and hubby don't manufacture the bears. They buy them in from various suppliers... No doubt imported.

I don't watch many charlie bear hours.The bits I do dip in and out of,I think of their bears are very sweet.I was *almost* taken with a grizzly type character the other day,who had huge paws and jowls round his mouth ~ very sweet.

Then at the end of the day,I wonder where I'm going to put them,what really am I going to do with something that cost me £50 ish? It may sit on my sofa or bed for a while -before being thrown to the back of the bedroom.I'm being honest when I say my house is my pride and joy,my absolute passion - and I can see £50 being better spent on something else.

But thats not be offensive to those that do buy.We all like different things and buy for different reasons.I love my NN bedding,but I'm not offended by the slating it gets on here.I collect Lladro and owls for many personal reasons and somewhere along the line I seemed to have started a collection of teapots???!!! Not to everyones taste,I'm sure!

I think the lady that sells charlie bears is lovely.I can imagine her in her shop,lovingly looking at all her bears.Her partner I can take to at all.He is actually the one that makes me switch over.He makes my skin crawl and seems the most ungueniune (sp) person.

I love Lladro have only one piece though a baby cherub with a halo very small but very cute.

Yes but Charlie and hubby don't manufacture the bears. They buy them in from various suppliers... No doubt imported.

My understanding is that Charlie Bears own two factories, which produce their bears, so technically not "bought in".

I don't particularly care one way or another about teddy bears, never really thought about them till reading all the various rows on here about them. I have seen them on, and I can totally appreciate people want to buy them and get a lot of enjoyment out of collecting them or whatever and that's great. I have to say though that I do find all that business of the way they're presented a bit odd. Can anyone explain why they do all that moving the things about to pretend they're moving themselves if you know what I mean? Why can't they just come on and say ' hello, here's a teddy bear, it's brown. Isn't it cute - would you like to buy it?' instead of having to have the thing waving in slow mo?

Last edited:
My understanding is that Charlie Bears own two factories, which produce their bears, so technically not "bought in".

Yep, the factory is in my town, I walk past it when I take a shortcut out of the industrial estate to where I sometimes walk my dogs. Drove past Will on his way (presumably) to the factory yesterday evening. Never ever seen her though.

Not that this is of any consequence, I'm just gossipping now :smirk:

Latest posts

Back