Cook's Essentials TSV Wed 8th Feb 2012

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

You're still being Lancashire's answer to Fanny Craddock then are you AD? :wink:
Did you decide to keep the kitchenaid or did it go back?

You're still being Lancashire's answer to Fanny Craddock then are you AD? :wink:
Did you decide to keep the kitchenaid or did it go back?

:mysmilie_458:

[straightens wig] I'm not doing too badly, thanking you. My Melting Moments are famous this side of the Manchester Ship Canal :wink:

The KitchenAid (Doris) still resides with us :clapping:. The issue was whether the grater/slicer wotsit was going to be any use (as if not Amazon were cheaper for the actual literal mixer) but it has come in surprisingly handy. All in all I think it was a pretty good kit :nod: (except for the half stone I've stacked on since its arrival :sweat:)

Bless Doris then. :smile:
You should use her to make some doughnuts then (to quote Frank Bough was it?), you too could have doughnuts like Fanny's. :wink:

Ahh, morning AD - I am getting increasingly worried about your new found domestic goddess status.......what with kitchen stuff, sweeper excitement and now flaaaars. Once you've tried my Easiyo, one will be winging it's way in your direction too. Don't worry about the half stone weight gain - it will be good for you!!!

It's a slow cooker. Craig posted a picture of him testing his out on his twitter feed.

ook's essentials 1.5 Litre Slow Cooker with Standard & Tagine Lid
Item Number: 800427
QVC Price £15.75
Today's Special Value Price £12.96
Availability In stock
UK P&P £4.95

cooks essentials electric 1.5L slow cooker with glass and tagine lids. Features a portable ceramic pot for easy cleaning and serving, three heat settings to cook sweet and savoury dishes to perfection, plus a heat-retaining tagine lid to infuse flavour and lock in juices. Enjoy tender, flavoursome food when you return home with this cooks essentials slow cooker.

Tender, succulent meals when you get home - slow cooking heats food very gently, locking in all the flavour and goodness, leaving food tender and succulent.

Minimum effort - simply add the ingredients, choose your desired setting and leave to cook throughout the day, and it'll be ready to serve when you arrive home.

Need inspiration in the kitchen? 11 delicious recipes are included to get you started including Irish stew, sausage hotpot and chicken casserole.

Serves 1 - 3 people
Ideal for the time-poor

What's in the box?

1 x cook's essential slow cooker
1 x removable ceramic pot (1.5L)
1 x ceramic tagine lid
1 x glass lid (to monitor food during cooking)
1 x recipe suggestions booklet (11 recipes)

Colour options:

Cream
Red
Black
Purple
Duck Egg Blue

Technical specifications:
Capacity: 1.5L
Settings: low, keep warm and high
Slow cooker - including handles and tagine lid (h x w): 26cm x 22cm (10" x 8.5")
Ceramic pot (h x w): 12cm x 21.5cm (4.68" x 8.1") - dishwasher and microwave safe
Power cable: 91.5cm (36")
All measurements are approximate

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.800427

have ordered one my parents have one the same size use it all the time they look small but they hold quite a bit obviously not for a big family but if there's just 2 of you it's perfect

It seems good value to me, and at first I thought the P&P was reasonable too, until I realised that it increases the TSV price by almost 40% ! So a good buy at £12-96 suddenly becomes not so good at £17-91.

I ordered one because I've been looking for one for some time. I only need a small one and also wanted a black one to fit in with the other black gadgets in the kitchen, so the TSV seems ideal, even with the P&P. I used to cook with gas but, since moving, have an electric oven (and gas hob) and thought I'd give a slow cooker a go (initially for casseroles) as I usually cook casseroles for a long time and therefore hope that a slow cooker will be cheaper to run than having the main cooker belting forth for hours on end.

i hovered all day and then just ordered the duck egg (lot of that colour about on CE at the moment, AND my ninja is the same colour which makes me think this stuff all comes from the same place!)

anyway, a couple of questions for slow-cooker officianados:

1. if you dont brown the meat first in a frying pan, are the results minging?
2. would it be really stupid to slow cook chicken from frozen?

i hovered all day and then just ordered the duck egg (lot of that colour about on CE at the moment, AND my ninja is the same colour which makes me think this stuff all comes from the same place!)

1. No, tastes fine , just looks a bit paler - depending of course what else you shove in with it.

2 Yes it would be stoopid seeing as how you asked..... chicken needs to be defrosted properly, and you'd be heating up bits before other bits had been defrosted... food poisoning waiting to happen....(but I think you know that really)

QUOTE=BurlyBeaR;539480]i hovered all day and then just ordered the duck egg (lot of that colour about on CE at the moment, AND my ninja is the same colour which makes me think this stuff all comes from the same place!)

Not minging but it doesn't look as nice as browned meat and it doesn't seal the outside, if your doing a casserole and are coating your meat in flour first then that needs to be browned first anyway, otherwise it is minging...take it from one that knows!!! :puke:

IMO yep! because the slow cooker takes time to heat up and defrost/cook the meat as opposed to putting it straight into a hot oven that kills all the nasties.

These are my opinions anyway, look forward to seeing what others say.

Last edited:
thanks, i did suspect it would be a bad move re the chicken. but i always remember the george forman presentations where they shoved frozen chicken in the grill and said it was fine! very confusing. and simon brown has been slow cooking pork all day which i would imagine was a disaster waiting to happen!

speaking of which, he is the only person i have ever seen make curry out of pork.

Last edited:
thanks, i did suspect it would be a bad move re the chicken. but i always remember the george forman presentations where they shoved frozen chicken in the grill and said it was fine! very confusing. and simon brown has been slow cooking pork all day which i would imagine was a disaster waiting to happen!

speaking of which, he is the only person i have ever seen make curry out of pork.

My only guess with the George Foreman thing would be that it is hot when you put stuff into it??:cheeky:

I find pork a tough meat to cook (as in it stays tough when I grill or fry it) so maybe in the slow cooker it tenderises but keeps it shape? Was it frozen when he was put it in the slow cooker?

Shiny

I have cooked a chicken from frozen in a slow cooker with no ill effects, on many occasions. It needs an 7 hours to cook through. If you want to ensure a crispy skin, empty the liquid from the crockpot a couple of time during cooking. You'll have a gorgeous pot roast chicken at the end with a golden crispy skin and the meat will melt in your mouth.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

Anyone know of any good slow cooker cook books? My first foray into using one...the tagine lid is an excellent idea.

Lx

Plenty of free recipes on the internet, so no need to buy a book

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back