Could you imagine…?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Dream Girl

Registered Shopper
….Nipping into your high street fashion store/department fashion section and popping an item in your basket/trolley. Then shortly afterwards up pops the sales assistant, who follows you around for half an hour continually saying, please now make your way to the till to pay for your item. Because if you don’t I will have to remove it from your basket/trolley, to put it back out for sale.

I think the presenters keep repeating this ad nauseum because customers load up at the beginning of a show, regardless of whether they really want the items, and then don't bother to remove them , thus preventing more serious shoppers from purchasing until 30 mins into the show. Computers get clogged up and sales are lost.

Last edited:
Good point. I think the presenters keep repeating this because customers load up at the beginning of a show and then change their minds 30 minds later and clog up the computers

I think it's probably more likely that people are putting items in their baskets and not checking out which is stopping other shoppers actually placing an order and it's affecting Q's sales.
I don't know why they can't be like 99% of other websites where if an item is in your basket but someone beats you in paying for it, you don't get the item. Simple.

It does put pressure on the customer, re-inforced by the spiel on how simple returns are if you change your mind when you get it home. Yes, good point, it's very true that it may stop other orders being placed but as MrMarple said, it is QVC's fault. They should do what most others do and remove items from baskets to fulfill quicker orders. I don't think QVC are interested in investing in their technology, it would drain profits. The whole system is a dinosaur, especially when items are faulty or go missing in delivery.

I’ll admit to the fact that quite a while ago, during a show, I did pop something into my basket. I then searched online for reviews about the product and, having read them, I decided I didn’t want to buy it. It presumably dropped out of my basket and some other unknowing soul bought it instead.

On another occasion, I did buy something and checked out and received a confirmation email. However, the following day I got an email from QVC telling me that I had something in my basket and did I want to proceed with the purchase. I checked my account and the order I made had gone through and there was nothing left in my basket. 🙄

Ideal World always used to do that "priority" thing where if you didn't checkout straight away the item might well be gone by the time you get back to it. They were up front about it and used to say if someone was phone ordering an item and there were none left in stock they would take items out of unpaid baskets. Only fair really as basket hoggers (and I'm guilty of it) may not actually buy at the end of the day.

CC

Back in the day pre webshite, especially jewellery shows, they used to do a quick show of all the products in the show - I liked that as it saved time watching an entire show of items I wasn’t interested in, and I admit I probably hit Qcut immediately in case it sold out.

Now it’s rare that there is anything I would buy so they could reduce the basket time to 30 seconds and it would make little difference.

Back in the day pre webshite, especially jewellery shows, they used to do a quick show of all the products in the show - I liked that as it saved time watching an entire show of items I wasn’t interested in, and I admit I probably hit Qcut immediately in case it sold out.

Now it’s rare that there is anything I would buy so they could reduce the basket time to 30 seconds and it would make little difference.
Oh when there were at the start of a show previews and a review at the end of the hour. And yes back in the day when presenters were able to talk through the pieces.

Or put it on cheque ‘hold’ if you remember that which I believe bought you about 10 days!

….Nipping into your high street fashion store/department fashion section and popping an item in your basket/trolley. Then shortly afterwards up pops the sales assistant, who follows you around for half an hour continually saying, please now make your way to the till to pay for your item. Because if you don’t I will have to remove it from your basket/trolley, to put it back out for sale.
....or have the cashier congratulate you on your purchase!

😂😂 I will think of this now when shopping and keep giggling 🤭 👍

“And while I’m here, let me tell you some very personal details about my family, and about all my who friends have bought the things you’re buying and love them. By the way, I was given that £200 bag you’re admiring for nothing so I can tell customers about the points of interest and bleat about how you can only get that colour here at the moment - look at the photos on my phone of when I took it to my friend’s wedding - the dress I wore came from this store and I bought it in four colours ….”

And …. I know you will be going into our xyz department next but let me show you this short video of me opening these freebies, yes I know I don’t actually sell these products in my department but sure they are free so I take them all, if not for me then for my friends. If you hang on for a sec I’ll show you how high I can lift my leg .

“And don’t forget to call in at the Beauty department so our resident beauty expert can talk incessantly about new products for the face area for you.”

Latest posts

Back