Cringefest on at the moment

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

historymystery

Registered Shopper
Utter cringefest during the 9:44 hour this morning. It's Amateur Night (morning) with Rosie and Toby, lots of shouting. I haven't seen Rosie on screen for a while and she used to be one of the better, more knowledgeable and factual presenters but from what I've just seen then that's all changed.

They're selling a silver pendant, 1.20g of silver, so hardly heavyweight bail, with a FILLED dark blue sapphire surrounded by miniscule white topaz, average total gem weight = 2 cts. This (we're told) would be the bargain of the century at £79. They've just done a comparison to a piece of Vera Wang jewellery, on offer for £360 - but when the Vera Wang advert is shown, the background of the advert is completely blurred (hmm, wonder why?) and the only things you can see clearly are 1) the illustration of the pendant, which to be fair is the same design as the Gemporia one, (but hardly original, as a larger centre stone surrounded by small accent stones is a standard pendant design) and 2) the price, which is shown in much larger letters, so it can be read. Now, is the Vera Wang pendant set in gold or silver? And how many carats is the Vera Wang pendant (and are the accent stones topaz or what? And how much gold/silver weight)? Well, folks, your guess is as good as mine, because the blurring meant I couldn't read the small print!

Toby's just announced: buy your wedding dress from Vera Wang if you like, but buy your jewellery from us.

A close-up shot of the filled sapphire pendant makes the sapphire look lumpy and bumpy, really strange surface to the stone as though it's not been polished properly - this might have been due to the camera angle, but I noticed the shot wasn't repeated so I wonder if somebody noticed it didn't look too good? By this time, I could stand the talking over and screeching no longer - the price then stood at £29.99. Toby just announced if three more people join the auction, he'll reduce it even more - loads of natter from Rosie about how one of the presenters who was on earlier was "pressing the wrong price buttons" so ridiculously low prices (thus making people feel they've missed out on tremendous bargains, methinks?). Quite frankly, from what I saw I wouldn't have given you a tenner for this pendant.

It really is like being in front of a market stall. Loads of senseless waffle and extravagant comparisons, but nothing factual unless you count the on-screen graphics telling you the average gem weight. I mean, this is a pendant in miniscule silver, with an average total gem weight of 2 cts. It's hardly the Black Prince's Ruby, is it?

Last edited:
Last night was awful, Hattie with her captain hat on, shouting, they found some years ago Black Princes Ruby is really a spinel.

I did message them about that nasty filled sapphire and told them that it looked awful and was totally lifeless.Rosie was terrible with her overreacting to everything Toby said. Her eyebrows were raised for most of the show.I was worried that she might take off at one point due to the sheer excitement of it all.

I did message them about that nasty filled sapphire and told them that it looked awful and was totally lifeless.Rosie was terrible with her overreacting to everything Toby said. Her eyebrows were raised for most of the show.I was worried that she might take off at one point due to the sheer excitement of it all.
Flipping awful, wasn't it? I mean the presentation AND the pendant! Enough 'ham' to make several rounds of sandwiches. And if Toby's eyes get any bigger they'll pop out of his head. Fake, fake and more fake... I cannot believe that many people who'd switched on didn't quickly switch off after about 3 minutes - who wants that shrieking, arm-waving and false 'buddy' talk at that time in the morning? I went into the kitchen to put the washing machine on - and it was a darn sight more interesting.

Utter cringefest during the 9:44 hour this morning. It's Amateur Night (morning) with Rosie and Toby, lots of shouting. I haven't seen Rosie on screen for a while and she used to be one of the better, more knowledgeable and factual presenters but from what I've just seen then that's all changed.

They're selling a silver pendant, 1.20g of silver, so hardly heavyweight bail, with a FILLED dark blue sapphire surrounded by miniscule white topaz, average total gem weight = 2 cts. This (we're told) would be the bargain of the century at £79. They've just done a comparison to a piece of Vera Wang jewellery, on offer for £360 - but when the Vera Wang advert is shown, the background of the advert is completely blurred (hmm, wonder why?) and the only things you can see clearly are 1) the illustration of the pendant, which to be fair is the same design as the Gemporia one, (but hardly original, as a larger centre stone surrounded by small accent stones is a standard pendant design) and 2) the price, which is shown in much larger letters, so it can be read. Now, is the Vera Wang pendant set in gold or silver? And how many carats is the Vera Wang pendant (and are the accent stones topaz or what? And how much gold/silver weight)? Well, folks, your guess is as good as mine, because the blurring meant I couldn't read the small print!

Toby's just announced: buy your wedding dress from Vera Wang if you like, but buy your jewellery from us.

A close-up shot of the filled sapphire pendant makes the sapphire look lumpy and bumpy, really strange surface to the stone as though it's not been polished properly - this might have been due to the camera angle, but I noticed the shot wasn't repeated so I wonder if somebody noticed it didn't look too good? By this time, I could stand the talking over and screeching no longer - the price then stood at £29.99. Toby just announced if three more people join the auction, he'll reduce it even more - loads of natter from Rosie about how one of the presenters who was on earlier was "pressing the wrong price buttons" so ridiculously low prices (thus making people feel they've missed out on tremendous bargains, methinks?). Quite frankly, from what I saw I wouldn't have given you a tenner for this pendant.

It really is like being in front of a market stall. Loads of senseless waffle and extravagant comparisons, but nothing factual unless you count the on-screen graphics telling you the average gem weight. I mean, this is a pendant in miniscule silver, with an average total gem weight of 2 cts. It's hardly the Black Prince's Ruby, is it?
Not surprisingly you see similar tactics on some of the other channels. 'We're selling you a leather bag for £29.99 but look, here's a leather bag of the same size and design selling for £429.99!!'

(Not a direct comparison)

;)

Rosie, like Ellis, used to be one of the best presenters.

Their turn around to how bad they've become highlights just how low the channel has sunk over the past few years.
If they're going to try to act, then like Rosie (aka Helen Mirren's understudy - not) they should sign up for an acting course. They really do insult the viewers intelligence by the fifth-rate am. dram. act (with apologies to anyone involved in am. dram.) and the last thing it does is encourage me to think I'm getting a bargain. In the case of the filled sapphire this morning, I've got better stones in my garden, as they say.

It's a shame that Rosie's definitely metamorphed into someone completely different since she started at Gemporia. She used to be calm, factual and informative, but having seen her (albeit briefly) a few times on daytime shows, she's unrecognisable from the presenter she was and her behaviour at times today seemed a bit bonkers, gushing, gurgling and talking over Toby, and then not finishing her sentences.

I hate it when people don't finish their sentences. I find it really
Peter S is thee GOAT at this over on IW.

Not only is this watch a masterful ... but in design it is simply ... crafted by the hands of angels ... the weight is ... sheer elegance of ... first layer leathers ... and at a price of only ... buy it ... love it ... treasure it ... but most of all ... INSURE IT!!!

Peter S is thee GOAT at this over on IW.

Not only is this watch a masterful ... but in design it is simply ... crafted by the hands of angels ... the weight is ... sheer elegance of ... first layer leathers ... and at a price of only ... buy it ... love it ... treasure it ... but most of all ... INSURE IT!!!

He's always been like that. Him and Mike 'Cockney Barrow Boy' Mason are the worst two selly-telly presenters to ever grace our screens - and considering the rubbish Gemporia have these days, that really is some achievement.

They've just done a comparison to a piece of Vera Wang jewellery, on offer for £360 - but when the Vera Wang advert is shown, the background of the advert is completely blurred

I submitted a written complaint to the ASA just a few days ago, that included how Gems tv had used images to sell an item.

Adina was selling dyed blue agate. She showed customers photos of a natural blue stone & of natural blue agate sold pieces from Bonhams & Van Cleef & Arpels. Said repeatedly about how the dyed stuff she was selling was "rare."

It's the opposite of rare. It's agate dyed blue. It therefore has zero to do with any natural blue stone or products thereof. The only thing they have in common is that they're agate obviously.

The other channels that show comparison images, from what I've seen, clearly state important & relevant facts at the time and certainly haven't blurred anything of relevance out.

Last edited:
Now, is the Vera Wang pendant set in gold or silver? And how many carats is the Vera Wang pendant (and are the accent stones topaz or what? And how much gold/silver weight)? Well, folks, your guess is as good as mine, because the blurring meant I couldn't read the small print!
Idea. (I didn't see it). Go to the show, and screen cap it. Then do an image search, if you're that interested to read and compare ;) Not being rude, coz I do that kind of thing myself.

Rosie, like Ellis, used to be one of the best presenters.
You'd have thought that a 'decent' presenter would continue to be decent to no only save face but to also give a veneer of professionalism to the company. They are just shooting themselves in the foot (both presenters and company).
Not surprisingly you see similar tactics on some of the other channels. 'We're selling you a leather bag for £29.99 but look, here's a leather bag of the same size and design selling for £429.99!!'

(Not a direct comparison)
THAT, is what they always say: with variations. And if it's not a direct comparison, why comparisonate them? Hmmm? Hmmm? :p I know it's not like Tesco / Aldi / Sainsburys (seems you have to name 3 companies on Shopping Telly ;) ) Where they say, we price match to...... blah blah blah. If they say, we've seen this pendant, or similar for such and such a price, and we are going lower. I recall JM used to do that with usually Amazon. And talking of food shops, if you favour one shop over another and someone price matches to it, why go to the other place when they prices are the same? (Tangent I know :p )

Idea. (I didn't see it). Go to the show, and screen cap it. Then do an image search, if you're that interested to read and compare ;) Not being rude, coz I do that kind of thing myself.
Will do, thanks. But wouldn't you have thought that if they're going to make all the hullabaloo about a comparison, they would make it easy for the viewer to see what they are supposed to be comparing it with? Honestly, it's not rocket science, is it - but all it does is to make you think 'eye, eye, smoke and mirrors here'. If I knew I was selling a product that compared very favourably with something for a much higher price, I'd want people to be able to see almost at a glance why I'm making that claim. I wouldn't expect my customers to go digging for the information.

Will do, thanks. But wouldn't you have thought that if they're going to make all the hullabaloo about a comparison, they would make it easy for the viewer to see what they are supposed to be comparing it with? Honestly, it's not rocket science, is it - but all it does is to make you think 'eye, eye, smoke and mirrors here'. If I knew I was selling a product that compared very favourably with something for a much higher price, I'd want people to be able to see almost at a glance why I'm making that claim. I wouldn't expect my customers to go digging for the information.
I actually had a cursory look myself. Couldn't find the actual page (with the three photos to the side). Something similar, but with lab grown sapphires.

Speaking of cringe fest,just watching Adina and Katy actually making pouty faces for quite awhile like two kids. Adina is now pouting into the camera at regular intervals, ridiculous.Both of them obsessed to the point of getting fillers.I mean it’s not the product giving them the effect is it?

Kati is/was quite an attractive lady - but she looks hideous lately simply through wearing far too much make-up. It makes her look old.
Kati is trying to convince people to buy numerous Visage products and wear them all at once.

Gemporia's not alone in this, as many skincare and makeup ranges have probably twice or three times the number of steps they did 20+ years ago. And I am not convinced that they're all necessary, and only reason for existing is to make more money for the creators of the product ranges.

If all these products worked, then people wouldn't be getting their faces filled with fillers and Botox, getting aggressive laser or acid skin peels, or even going for more invasive cosmetic surgery.

Latest posts

Back