What's the best thing you've bought?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

OrangeLady

Registered Shopper
Okay, I've become increasingly critical of the Gemporia family over the last 18 months or so. Especially after finding this forum!

It wasn't always this way...

Let's hark back to when we first started watching. And share what our best/ favourite/ rare/ unusual buys are?

I started watching in the days when it was Gems TV, with proper reverse auctions that would keep dropping the price until all the pieces were sold (and all the stock was put into that auction). Blue CoAs. Scott Worfield in the tanzanite mine. Adina and Lynne in the Csarite mine (Zultanite back then). Matt McNamara throwing a cubic zicronia into a Cambodian lake. Can't actually remember what year... maybe 2009?

I was lucky enough to get a piece of paraiba tourmaline (from Mozambique). Good size pendant, lovely accent diamonds, 18K white gold. Not the top grade 'swimming pool' blue, but definitely blue and decent saturation.

My favourite loose stone from Gem Collector is an Arusha blue colour change garnet. Well cut and very sparkly, it shifts to a violet-blue with red flashes.

My biggest regret was not being able to buy a rainbow sapphire bracelet. Three pieces made. Two rows of princess cut channel set sapphires, beautifully incrementing through the full colour spectrum of sapphires. 18K white gold. It was £2k. I rang the call centre to see if they would accept payment by installments, they wouldn't. (This was ages before they did split pay). I asked a couple of people if they would buy it on their credit card! I could have paid it off in 4 months.
I still think about it!

I miss those days too.
Calm, knowledgeable, personable presenters.
Gemstones you'd never find on the high street - does anyone remember amblygonite or astraeolite?
I remember amblygonite, among a large range of beautiful stones they don't seem to be able to source any more. Steve Bennett and the team used to go directly to the mines, hence 'cutting out the middleman.' He developed good relationships with the mine owners and was able to buy at source. The management team now go to Trade Fairs and compete with every Tom, Dick & Dirty Harry to buy gemstones of inferior quality; filled, coated, diffused etc and flog them to unsuspecting customers at extortionate prices.
Also, the whole tone of the broadcasts has become extremely boring, with no emphasis on the entertainment value, with presenters who haven't got a clue about how to hold the viewers' attention and interest, and very little knowledge about the jewellery they're selling. They seem to assume we're all deaf too, as they shout and roar at the screen like deranged chimpanzees! The likeability factor is definitely gone, which is so important when dealing with the public.
I remember when ITV did a documentary on Gemporia and asked Steve what he looked for when interviewing new presenters. He said 'likeability, someone you'd like to go for a pint with.' An example of this is Jeff, who is a very popular presenter. He is likeable, knowledgeable and knows how to hold the viewers' attention without shouting like an idiot!
But, the biggest liability of all is Dave Troth, so, so boring, with pointless lectures, sometimes on a thrice-daily basis, that no-one wants to hear! I assume everyone runs for the 'remote' when he appears - not very good for business! He and mis-managing director Jake Thompson, (or Bennett, depending on which day of the week it is! ) should get the boot out the door, along with most of the current presenters!
Neither Troth nor Thompson have a clue about how to run a business, they have no charisma or people skills and very few, if any, gemmology credentials. What used to be enjoyable to watch is now a disaster, and unless someone competent takes over and re-organises the whole shebang, Gemporia is going down the plughole fast!

Okay, I've become increasingly critical of the Gemporia family over the last 18 months or so. Especially after finding this forum!

It wasn't always this way...

Let's hark back to when we first started watching. And share what our best/ favourite/ rare/ unusual buys are?

I started watching in the days when it was Gems TV, with proper reverse auctions that would keep dropping the price until all the pieces were sold (and all the stock was put into that auction). Blue CoAs. Scott Worfield in the tanzanite mine. Adina and Lynne in the Csarite mine (Zultanite back then). Matt McNamara throwing a cubic zicronia into a Cambodian lake. Can't actually remember what year... maybe 2009?

I was lucky enough to get a piece of paraiba tourmaline (from Mozambique). Good size pendant, lovely accent diamonds, 18K white gold. Not the top grade 'swimming pool' blue, but definitely blue and decent saturation.

My favourite loose stone from Gem Collector is an Arusha blue colour change garnet. Well cut and very sparkly, it shifts to a violet-blue with red flashes.

My biggest regret was not being able to buy a rainbow sapphire bracelet. Three pieces made. Two rows of princess cut channel set sapphires, beautifully incrementing through the full colour spectrum of sapphires. 18K white gold. It was £2k. I rang the call centre to see if they would accept payment by installments, they wouldn't. (This was ages before they did split pay). I asked a couple of people if they would buy it on their credit card! I could have paid it off in 4 months.
I still think about it!
Nice to hear about your pieces, OrangeLady and I remember the advert with Matt, too! I bought a couple of Paraiba pieces in gold, one was a white gold ring, and have worn them a lot (this would have been in either 2008 or 2009, to best of my belief), also bought a couple of other yellow gold pieces, a ring and a pendant with Zambian emeralds and some lovely accent diamonds. I can also remember when they used to do occasional end of stock bargains on the website, showing items where they had only one or two left - I bought a platinum and diamond ring this way with lovely weight of platinum. When Steve Ashton was a manager there, he would often present the show on a Saturday morning, and I think he'd get fed up/bored at some point and let one or two pieces go for ridiculous price(s) - I bought a white zircon 3-stone ring in a good weight of 9ct gold for £19.00. The ring is still one of my favourites - I liked watching Steve (sadly I believe he is no longer with us) and when he was on there were some good deals to be had.

I also loved their heavyweight silver pieces (remember the Tookalon range?) - with large solitaire stones, like onyx, white quartz, rose quartz, smoky quartz - some lovely pendants for such good prices, great designs - and a rose quartz carved flower pendant, which is about 3 inches x 3inches and has a silver bale. Do you remember the rings carved from a solid piece of gemstone, like rose quartz? Obviously you had to be careful about getting the right size as they couldn't be altered, but I stopped wearing one because it was so bloomin' heavy - like a knuckleduster - I must have been bonkers to buy it! Also bought a couple of Glenn Lehrer pendants (in the sales - I liked the designs but thought they were a bit expensive, so only bought in the sales!) - a rose quartz perfume bottle as a present for someone - £19.00 and absolutely beautiful, the friend still loves it and uses it. I bought a few of their loose gemstones and loose gemstone boxes of stones too, (they were about £15.00 for a variety of different stones) and started a small collection. One of them was a 20 point Mozambique Paraiba loose stone for £17.00 - still have the receipt + Certificate of Authenticity.

Them were the days.

I remember amblygonite, among a large range of beautiful stones they don't seem to be able to source any more. Steve Bennett and the team used to go directly to the mines, hence 'cutting out the middleman.' He developed good relationships with the mine owners and was able to buy at source. The management team now go to Trade Fairs and compete with every Tom, Dick & Dirty Harry to buy gemstones of inferior quality; filled, coated, diffused etc and flog them to unsuspecting customers at extortionate prices.
Also, the whole tone of the broadcasts has become extremely boring, with no emphasis on the entertainment value, with presenters who haven't got a clue about how to hold the viewers' attention and interest, and very little knowledge about the jewellery they're selling. They seem to assume we're all deaf too, as they shout and roar at the screen like deranged chimpanzees! The likeability factor is definitely gone, which is so important when dealing with the public.
I remember when ITV did a documentary on Gemporia and asked Steve what he looked for when interviewing new presenters. He said 'likeability, someone you'd like to go for a pint with.' An example of this is Jeff, who is a very popular presenter. He is likeable, knowledgeable and knows how to hold the viewers' attention without shouting like an idiot!
But, the biggest liability of all is Dave Troth, so, so boring, with pointless lectures, sometimes on a thrice-daily basis, that no-one wants to hear! I assume everyone runs for the 'remote' when he appears - not very good for business! He and mis-managing director Jake Thompson, (or Bennett, depending on which day of the week it is! ) should get the boot out the door, along with most of the current presenters!
Neither Troth nor Thompson have a clue about how to run a business, they have no charisma or people skills and very few, if any, gemmology credentials. What used to be enjoyable to watch is now a disaster, and unless someone competent takes over and re-organises the whole shebang, Gemporia is going down the plughole fast!
I remember Amblygonite - so pretty, like a mint green, yellowish-green, if I recall rightly. I still remember a presenter - think it was Drew - who switched to an advert. for amblygonite where a glamorous exotic dancer was twirling around so fast she made you feel giddy, and when the cameras cut back to him he said "I taught her all she knows"! He had such a dry sense of humour, always good for a laugh watching his shows, just like Derek Marks and Scott Worsfold. None of the yawn-inducing lectures that they have now, no hysterical Hattie or Botoxed faces that looked like they were about to crack like Polyfilla.....and Adina owned a handkerchief to wipe her nose.

But look on the bright side.....we have Dave Troth and Jake (Jade lover) Thompson!

I used to enjoy it then too. No shouty, shouty, pushy presenters and no Jade Trough style lectures. They also had very large range of gemstones too. Learnt a lot about different stones too by knowledgeable presenters. I wish they’d go back to that style.
I learnt a bit, too (although have forgotten some of it). But the style of presenting encouraged you to learn - as you say, it was calm and measured and they showed video clips to back up what they were saying. Remember stones like petalite, goshenite, moonstone, labradorite, sunstone, green amethyst, Russian diopside, apatite, chrysoberyl, ametrine? All set in some innovative designs, too.

I have some good buys too. I am not made of money but remember buying my first diamond pendant, a silver cross, for £29.99. It was a tiny ct weight, but that's not the point.

I think most of my favourites were the first time I bought the usual suspects: top 5. And I do, current climate not withstanding, have a 'thing' for Russian gemstones. The country produces some beautiful gemstones, if nothing else.

I don't want my bubble burst, but one I purchase I am impressed with is a tanzanite pendant. Got it and saw it was a limited edition of 16. I didn't know that when I bought it, so I like that piece. It's the lowest quantity I have. Even over the Lehrer pieces :)

And not so much now, unfortunately, but GC was the place to buy 'unusual'. I have a fair amount of loose stones that I'd never heard of until watching that channel.

Regarding presenters, in my time of watching, 2016 on, I can think of 3 'stand outs', not always for knowledge, albeit obvious, but for entertainment value too. Ruth, Drew and Lara. Although, initially I didn't take to Lara, but she grew on me.

Nice to hear about your pieces, OrangeLady and I remember the advert with Matt, too! I bought a couple of Paraiba pieces in gold, one was a white gold ring, and have worn them a lot (this would have been in either 2008 or 2009, to best of my belief), also bought a couple of other yellow gold pieces, a ring and a pendant with Zambian emeralds and some lovely accent diamonds. I can also remember when they used to do occasional end of stock bargains on the website, showing items where they had only one or two left - I bought a platinum and diamond ring this way with lovely weight of platinum. When Steve Ashton was a manager there, he would often present the show on a Saturday morning, and I think he'd get fed up/bored at some point and let one or two pieces go for ridiculous price(s) - I bought a white zircon 3-stone ring in a good weight of 9ct gold for £19.00. The ring is still one of my favourites - I liked watching Steve (sadly I believe he is no longer with us) and when he was on there were some good deals to be had.

I also loved their heavyweight silver pieces (remember the Tookalon range?) - with large solitaire stones, like onyx, white quartz, rose quartz, smoky quartz - some lovely pendants for such good prices, great designs - and a rose quartz carved flower pendant, which is about 3 inches x 3inches and has a silver bale. Do you remember the rings carved from a solid piece of gemstone, like rose quartz? Obviously you had to be careful about getting the right size as they couldn't be altered, but I stopped wearing one because it was so bloomin' heavy - like a knuckleduster - I must have been bonkers to buy it! Also bought a couple of Glenn Lehrer pendants (in the sales - I liked the designs but thought they were a bit expensive, so only bought in the sales!) - a rose quartz perfume bottle as a present for someone - £19.00 and absolutely beautiful, the friend still loves it and uses it. I bought a few of their loose gemstones and loose gemstone boxes of stones too, (they were about £15.00 for a variety of different stones) and started a small collection. One of them was a 20 point Mozambique Paraiba loose stone for £17.00 - still have the receipt + Certificate of Authenticity.

Them were the days.
Oooh you've had some lovely pieces and absolute bargains over the years! Great to hear about them.

Tookalon is a name I remember, I don't think I bought any of those pieces. I didn't see the "finger bangle" style rings, they sound immense!

I was only a sporadic watcher over the years, I don't remember Steve Ashton. Sounds like he was worth watching if you got gold under £20!

The best bargain I got was when they had the USA channel starting out, Lynn did a "let's make friends, not profit" auction and I got a duchess style silver ring with a cognac coloured garnet surrounded by white zircons for $5. Loved it.

I have some good buys too. I am not made of money but remember buying my first diamond pendant, a silver cross, for £29.99. It was a tiny ct weight, but that's not the point.

I think most of my favourites were the first time I bought the usual suspects: top 5. And I do, current climate not withstanding, have a 'thing' for Russian gemstones. The country produces some beautiful gemstones, if nothing else.

I don't want my bubble burst, but one I purchase I am impressed with is a tanzanite pendant. Got it and saw it was a limited edition of 16. I didn't know that when I bought it, so I like that piece. It's the lowest quantity I have. Even over the Lehrer pieces :)

And not so much now, unfortunately, but GC was the place to buy 'unusual'. I have a fair amount of loose stones that I'd never heard of until watching that channel.

Regarding presenters, in my time of watching, 2016 on, I can think of 3 'stand outs', not always for knowledge, albeit obvious, but for entertainment value too. Ruth, Drew and Lara. Although, initially I didn't take to Lara, but she grew on me.
Great to hear about your pieces too. What are some of those unusual stones you've picked up from GC?

(I wouldn't worry too much about the current situation regarding stones from Russia - geology was doing its thing long before us humans invented geopolitics.)

I learnt a bit, too (although have forgotten some of it). But the style of presenting encouraged you to learn - as you say, it was calm and measured and they showed video clips to back up what they were saying. Remember stones like petalite, goshenite, moonstone, labradorite, sunstone, green amethyst, Russian diopside, apatite, chrysoberyl, ametrine? All set in some innovative designs, too.
Ametrine, gosh yes. They used to have some huuuge pieces of ametrine.

And I was amazed at the colour of the neon apatite. Absolutely bonkers what mother nature can put together!

Great to hear about your pieces too. What are some of those unusual stones you've picked up from GC?

(I wouldn't worry too much about the current situation regarding stones from Russia - geology was doing its thing long before us humans invented geopolitics.)
Amblygonite, Atlantasite (I like this one), Cacoxenite, (I'm going down my list alphabetically ;) ) Danburite (another favourite), Enstatite, Eudialyte, Lamproite, Libyan Desert Glass (More than one), and others. I'm sure I got a loose Leherer stone in a mixed bag too.

And true. And it will do so long after we have gone.

Amblygonite, Atlantasite (I like this one), Cacoxenite, (I'm going down my list alphabetically ;) ) Danburite (another favourite), Enstatite, Eudialyte, Lamproite, Libyan Desert Glass (More than one), and others. I'm sure I got a loose Leherer stone in a mixed bag too.

And true. And it will do so long after we have gone.
Some great stones there!
I'm fond of danburite too, I had a couple of natural crystals. Eudialyte is a lovely colour.
I'm going to have to look up some of the others!

Some great stones there!
I'm fond of danburite too, I had a couple of natural crystals. Eudialyte is a lovely colour.
I'm going to have to look up some of the others!
It's a longer list, but you'd be bored ;) I have a weird story about Danburite. But first, I got my first danburite from Jenny Cleary on JM, it was a crystal: very 'handle-worthy' :) The weird story is I was looking at the CoA for a cut stone. Dropped the stone. Lost it. Have floorboards and assumed it went between them. Not a teeny stone, but small enough. Gave up looking for it. Was doing some moving about the room and found it, 'under' the TV, to the side of the DVD player. Nowhere near where I thought it dropped, and it must have 'jumped' sideways and backwards. You love to know that, dontcha? ;)

To be fair to Gems, I've had some lovely items from them over the years, a couple of pieces too, that I wish I had sent back. I love sapphires, and have quite a few gorgeous sapphire rings, and around 3 silver sapphire bracelets, which are just lovely. I have so many rings in so many different stones, that I am afraid to count the total. 😱 These days everything seems more expensive, and I cannot abide the shouty annoying presenters and, of course, Jade Troth is just a total bore and turn off. I would imagine he will be the death of the channel.

Jade Troth is just a total bore and turn off
One of these days someone will message into the channel starting the message with, Can I ask Jade, sorry, I mean Dave :p

And you saying he will be the death of the channel, I think (and I know this is a 'happy' post, I starting one of those myself), but I think that one of the troubles with the channel and its baby JM, is that it relies too much on basically two 'guests'. Dave and Toby.

They have lost a lot of guests that only seem to appear at birthdays. And because they 'run' the company on those two 'experts', with the '' around the 'expert' that has the initials DT, not TC, people get fed up of the bombardment. DT has his endless lectures, which, if they don't make you turn off, make you zone out, with about 10 minutes left for the items in the hour, and TC, although backed up by an official gem background / life tends to bring out the snake oil salesman patter. He 'blinds you' with words and speed of those words.

One of these days someone will message into the channel starting the message with, Can I ask Jade, sorry, I mean Dave :p

And you saying he will be the death of the channel, I think (and I know this is a 'happy' post, I starting one of those myself), but I think that one of the troubles with the channel and its baby JM, is that it relies too much on basically two 'guests'. Dave and Toby.

They have lost a lot of guests that only seem to appear at birthdays. And because they 'run' the company on those two 'experts', with the '' around the 'expert' that has the initials DT, not TC, people get fed up of the bombardment. DT has his endless lectures, which, if they don't make you turn off, make you zone out, with about 10 minutes left for the items in the hour, and TC, although backed up by an official gem background / life tends to bring out the snake oil salesman patter. He 'blinds you' with words and speed of those words.
I'm not fussed on Toby either. He's a bit more lively, but he can still send my finger to press the remote control to another channel. I used to like watching Steve, as he was calmer and more interesting to listen to. I do wish Gems would listen to their customers and try to fix what we all dislike.

I do wish Gems would listen to their customers and try to fix what we all dislike.
It isn't just what 'we' dislike, it's also how the company is being run: Gosh, can I state the obvious?? Coz for the most part, 'we' don't know the behind the scenes, only what comes on air. I'd imagine there's a heck of a lot to do behind the scenes before it shows on air with any positivity.

Latest posts

Back