Discover Smart Homes (Hive Heating) TSV 18/04/16

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Hive Active Heating System with Professional Installation
Item Number: 508185
QVC Price £249.00
Today's Special Value Price £199.98
P&P £5.95

Featuring a beautifully sleek design, intuitive controls and easy-to-use features, Hive is an innovative system that can be installed on your existing gÞas or LPG systems and is designed to let you adjust your heating and hot water from your mobile, tablet or laptop. You could save energy and money with this brilliant device that helps you take control of your home's heating and hot water anytime, anywhere.

Important information - once installed, this product is not covered by QVC's usual 30-day money back guarantee. Hive offer a 14-day cooling off period once the system is installed, so it can be uninstalled within this time at no cost. After 14 days, to uninstall, there will be a fee of £80. Please refer to the above Hive Installation Procedure document for more details.

Easy installation - backed by British Gas, installation comes as part of the price and it doesn't matter who supplies your energy. Use the voucher provided in the welcome guide and pick a time to suit you - the British Gas engineer will bring the hub and receiver with them on the day of installation. Hive works with your existing boiler and usually takes up to 90 minutes to install. Please note: see Hive’s Terms and Conditions above, which will apply between you and Hive for the installation of the product. Refer to the Boiler Compatibility document above which includes a list of boilers which are not compatible with this Hive Active Heating with installation offer - check before purchasing.

Take control - with the app on your mobile, laptop or tablet, it’s as easy to control your heating and hot water as it is to change the TV channel. You can also send your command to Hive by text, plus you can put a PIN lock on your app or thermostat so children can’t tamper with it.

Set schedules - you can set between one and six timeslots a day and create schedules to fit in with your life, plus with the temperature *graphs you can keep track of how you are using* your heatin*g. The holiday mode lets you tell Hive your holiday dates so your heating will sleep until you return, and you'll always come back to a warm home.

Get a boost - switch your heating on and off, up or down and set temperatures. If you want to extend your heating outside your usual heating schedule, just use the boost button. You can also turn your hot water on and off for those times when you need it, and boost your hot water for up to six hours.

Automatic frost protection - automatically activates when your heating is off and the temperature inside your home dips below 7C, helping to protect pipes from freezing.

Geolocation - based on your phone’s location, Hive will send you reminders to turn your heating on before you get home, or off if you’ve left it on when you go out.

Energy savings - Hive could help you save energy and money, as you'll only heat your home when you need to. Hive customers have saved up to £150 by changing the way they use their heating.

What you will need

A working* central heating* system. Hive can be installed on g*as or LPG systems - a list of incompatible boilers is attached
An existin*g broadband connection with a spare Ethernet port connection
An extra power socket close to your broadband router
For the Hive app you’ll need an Apple iPhone or iPad (iOS 7 or later) or a device runnin*g Android (min 4.0.3) - the app is available free on the App Store, Google Play store, and Amazon
A laptop or tablet with internet access and an up-to-date web browser (we recommend minimum: Internet Explorer 10 or the latest versions of Goo*gle Chrome, Firefox and Safari)
Hive is a British Gas innovation, but you don’t need to be a British Gas customer to buy the Hive products

What’s in the box?

1 x Hive wireless thermostat - lets you control your heatin*g when you’re at home
4 x AA Duracell batteries
1 x user guide
1 x welcome guide - includes voucher scratch code to book your installation with a British Gas eng*ineer

Supplied by engineer on installation day:

1 x hub - plu*gs into your broadband router to enable your thermostat to be controlled remotely
1 x receiver - lets your thermostat and boiler talk to each other

Thermostat: (w x h x d): 10cm x 10cm x 4.8cm (4" x 4" x 2")
Receiver: (w x h x d): 8.7cm x 9.7cm x 3.7cm (3.4" x 3.8" x 1.5")
Hub: (w x h x d): 9.7cm x 9.6cm x 2.7cm (3.8" x 3.8" x 1")
Weight: Thermostat: 0.212kg (excluding batteries); receiver: 134g; hub: 115g
Batteries: 4 x AA (included)

All measurements are approximate

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.508185

I wonder if anyone will purchase this.It seems a bit of a faff if it doesn't work for you and no 30 day money back guarantee.A 14 day cooling off period with the supplier .What could possibly go wrong ?

Don't think I'd trust it after Hive's previous 2 cock ups. (The one where they didn't encrypt your remote instruction messages so that burglars knew when you were out. Then there was the one where they turned people's heating up to 32 degrees without permission.)

I wonder if anyone will purchase this.It seems a bit of a faff if it doesn't work for you and no 30 day money back guarantee.A 14 day cooling off period with the supplier .What could possibly go wrong ?

Dont forget there is a uninstall fee of £80 - wonder just how much of the T&C Q presenters will accurately say or will they go on autopilot and spout a load of who shot John as per usual.

Dont forget there is a uninstall fee of £80 - wonder just how much of the T&C Q presenters will accurately say or will they go on autopilot and spout a load of who shot John as per usual.
For the cost, the potential savings are well over rated. I know someone who has the latest and they read their meter weekly and on average they are saving 9p a week. Based on that it would be almost 50 years until they start to see a saving. I suppose some will believe the guff QVC are saying but they need to look at the maths.

For the cost, the potential savings are well over rated. I know someone who has the latest and they read their meter weekly and on average they are saving 9p a week. Based on that it would be almost 50 years until they start to see a saving. I suppose some will believe the guff QVC are saying but they need to look at the maths.
I think the big benefit is that you are able to control your heating when you are away from home. I now from home but in the past it would have been very useful as the heating configuration I had was very manual.

I'm not very gadget minded so I tend to look at the negatives .I agree though its good to have a different a TSV.

Last edited:
I know two people who have the 'hive'. Both have not found it very helpful. One complained that the app that was suppose to work with any tablet or smartphone didn't (she both an andriod (and latest operating system), and the 'fruity one' also wit the latest ios. Being the 'scatterbrain' that she is she will sometimes use the 'fruity one' and sometimes the android to control the 'Hive' it doesn't like this and so sometimes the instructions are not always implemented and a couple of times she has been penalised for leaving the immersion heater on (and we all know that is not exactly economical).

The other person who I know is a man of slightly advancing years and he had been a British Gas customer for years and was 'encouraged' to purchase this system as it would be really easy for him to use and economical for him as well. Now whilst chronologically his number maybe high, believe you me he is still very intelligent (he was a maths and computer science lecturer), so he keeps up-to-date with all the latest gadgetry. The problem though that he had, was because he was on a specific tariff, for some reason when he used the 'Hive' app it apparently defaulted him to the standard tarriff, now he is someone to give people the benefit of the doubt and he put it down to 'teething troubles' but nearly a year later and each quarter he has to contact the call centre to get his 'teething troubles' rectified.

All in all I don't think I will bother, also Q can't be giving much confidence in it, as the first live hour (after the midnight launch) is not until 17:00 which for a TSV is not really the norm is it? Of course there was the little bit in the lunchtime show, but that doesn't really count does it?

Why charge postage for it?

£5-95 postage, but you then arrange for a technician (NOT an engineer, they need a degree and to be chartered, just like lawyers) and he brings the other two items. He may as well bring the other item too.

In fact, the mini video of the technician turning up shows him bringing all 3 items.

I've just realised why they are sending it by post.

Another £4 or so into their kitty.

We sell this at work, and it really is a relevant system. The only reason I have never bought it, is that I very rarely use my central heating. It would be a beneficial feature, when you come to sell your property.
Earlier this evening,400 had sold, which doesn't seem many. LG and Samsung washing machines, can be used with a smart phone, where an app is downloaded and used to diagnose a fault. I have never sold one yet,over another model, because of this feature. I think people just want a reliable, quality machine, and are not interested in diagnosing any problem themselves, and that is if they even own a smart phone.
I have an LG, and a smart phone, and never have, and never would use this feature.

Last edited:
I think the big benefit is that you are able to control your heating when you are away from home. I now from home but in the past it would have been very useful as the heating configuration I had was very manual.

I am sure there is another Company who sell this.

OH has the Nest system and it's fab. He's a shift worker so can't set heating times. Now, it's switch on as he leaves work and the house is warm when he gets home. If he's kept on late there's no waste of the heating being on when there's no one home. Saved him quite a bit so far.

Bought when on offer with John Lewis and fitted with a local sparky for £20.

I have the Hive system and latterly, the Hive plug and motion detector add ons. I had a very good offer when I bought the initial system. My CH thermostat was playing up and when BG came to repair it, I was offered the Hive system at a very good price. It is the older white thermostat, not the silver which is the current model. I had previously considered buying the Hive but had decided not to, as it was not an essential but at the great price offered, I was delighted. The BG engineer fit it all very quickly and it is so simple to use. There have been one or two niggles, the latest being when the clocks went forward an hour but Hive Customer Service is excellent. One of my better purchases.

Latest posts

Back