Expensive diamond bling set in 9ct gold

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Flamenco

Registered Shopper
Why on earth do QVC set their diamond rings in 9ct gold? There is no ways, if I'm spending £500 on a diamond ring, that I would choose one set in act gold. Most jewellers set it in 18ct gold. Its only the catalogues and low end ranges in jewellers that set in 9ct gold. It really doesn't complement the diamonds. My engagement ring with a solitaire bezel set diamond is set in 18ct gold and my wedding ring matches in 18ct too. And there is no way I'd pay £500+ for a carat of diamond chips set into a ring with 9ct gold. The whole design looks really cheap and nasty, and cheap it aint.

Years ago I bought a 9K ring with diamonds as a tsv for £199 and despite being 'twinkly' under their studio lights, its never looked that sparkly all the time I have had it ; I was totally ignorant about inferior diamonds etc UNTIL I was bought a 'proper' diamond ring in 18k which cost a couple of grand, and wow the difference is staggering - so, its true, you pay for what you get !!!!!

(I see that an auction channel is flogging AA tanzanite in what looks like white gold, but is in fact 925 stirling silver BUT the word silver is never mentioned in the presentation, so I wonder how many are fooled into buying!)

qvc used to give the wieght in grams for gold and they dont anymore. it makes it difficult to work out the value of what you are buying

On QVC they never mention the colour, cut or clarity of the diamond. I also believe there are no certificates given either.

These days it's possible to buy diamonds of excellent quality online (Blue Nile, Z S Diamonds, Cool Diamonds). They are cheaper than buying from the High Street stores and you know exactly what you are buying.

I would rather have a well cut half carat diamond set in plain 18ct gold than a huge band of pave set diamonds, of unknown quality, on my hand. QVC prices for diamonds are high.

On QVC they never mention the colour, cut or clarity of the diamond. I also believe there are no certificates given either.

These days it's possible to buy diamonds of excellent quality online (Blue Nile, Z S Diamonds, Cool Diamonds). They are cheaper than buying from the High Street stores and you know exactly what you are buying.

I would rather have a well cut half carat diamond set in plain 18ct gold than a huge band of pave set diamonds, of unknown quality, on my hand. QVC prices for diamonds are high.

I agree. My engagement ring 16 years ago cost £500 (I know, I chose it!) and the diamond is only a quarter of a carat but its a very good quality diamond and is very white and sparkly I wanted quality not quantity within the budget we had). We bought it at a small family-run independent jeweller on the High Street. I don't know whether we paid too much or what its current value is but by contrast, if that was the price for a good small diamond back then the carat of diamond chips in the £500 ring QVC was flogging last night cannot be of good quality (and little chips are probably quite cheap as they get used in industrial machinery). I agree that QVC should issue certificates and tell us how much the gold weight is. I remember QVC selling those big chunky gold chains (Big Fat Gypsy Wedding style) and always stating what the weight was. Its all smoke and mirrors now with QVC jewellery. Apart from some 'eeek in Last Clicks I rarely buy jewellery from QVC as it invariably disappoints when I see and feel it in the cold light of day.

unless you have big bucks its really hard to get quality jewellery. also i really dont think i would but something as special as a diamond engagement ring on qvc anyway..

I agree. My engagement ring 16 years ago cost £500 (I know, I chose it!) and the diamond is only a quarter of a carat but its a very good quality diamond and is very white and sparkly I wanted quality not quantity within the budget we had). We bought it at a small family-run independent jeweller on the High Street. I don't know whether we paid too much or what its current value is but by contrast, if that was the price for a good small diamond back then the carat of diamond chips in the £500 ring QVC was flogging last night cannot be of good quality (and little chips are probably quite cheap as they get used in industrial machinery). I agree that QVC should issue certificates and tell us how much the gold weight is. I remember QVC selling those big chunky gold chains (Big Fat Gypsy Wedding style) and always stating what the weight was. Its all smoke and mirrors now with QVC jewellery. Apart from some 'eeek in Last Clicks I rarely buy jewellery from QVC as it invariably disappoints when I see and feel it in the cold light of day.

I got one of those on a clearance event years ago, they stated the weight which was very substantial (many ounces, 100's of grammes, but I can't remember exactly.

I checked the price for similar weights in the Argos catalogue before buying, they didn't sell any this weighty but I could tell that the QVC price was very good (I think it was just under £1000 and was less than 1/2 price).

It was a good investment bearing in mind the current gold price. I've never actually worn it, I would probably get mugged!

Later I bought a wide and chunky gold ring but found it was hollowed out, the gold was wafer thin, and it now has loads of dents in it from the slightest of knocks:-(

Last edited:
I missed that show, usually the Diamond hours are co-hosted by the American (Texan?) lady who professes to be an experienced diamond grader. But its always niggled me that she never comments on the grade / colour of the diamonds in the QVC pieces. She only tells us what we can already see for ourselves on the box! Perhaps she daren't! :tongue:

The only 9ct items (with accent diamonds) I've ever bought were in the Black Hills gold recent clearance, and all at half price! :clapping:

Latest posts

Back