Fashion

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Yes wide leg trousers worn short above the ankles is the fashion today as my daughters tell me. My youngest (22) hasn’t worn her trousers over her ankles for two years. But this year’s trend is wide leg. The 70s and the Barbie movie are big hitters in setting the fashion trends this year. Hope you like pink?😁
I hated 70's fashion in the 1970's. I wore jeans and block colour tops for casual and plain skirt and block top for work.
I was married and we had a motorbike so fancy clothes weren't an option.

I hated 70's fashion in the 1970's. I wore jeans and block colour tops for casual and plain skirt and block top for work.
I was married and we had a motorbike so fancy clothes weren't an option.
For most of the 70's I was at the mercy of my mother as to what I wore, and "fashion" didn't come into it - Affordable and durable were the words of the day, so for me it was hand me downs, jumble sales and the odd trip to Tesco home n' wear for me togs. By the late 70's however with a bit of pocket money from my nan. and my mum kindly allowing me to have my child benefit vouchers I was able to dress fashionably. By this time the flares and the swirly patterns were out so it was drainpipes, jelly shoes, fluffy jumpers, gypsy skirts and I thought I looked the bees knees. Around about the same time, my mum told me that she'd bumped into her friend Eileen and she'd said she'd similarly given her daughter her own money to go out and buy clothes and was worried as Amanda had come home with a very sensible coat from Marks and Spencer!!!

For most of the 70's I was at the mercy of my mother as to what I wore, and "fashion" didn't come into it - Affordable and durable were the words of the day, so for me it was hand me downs, jumble sales and the odd trip to Tesco home n' wear for me togs. By the late 70's however with a bit of pocket money from my nan. and my mum kindly allowing me to have my child benefit vouchers I was able to dress fashionably. By this time the flares and the swirly patterns were out so it was drainpipes, jelly shoes, fluffy jumpers, gypsy skirts and I thought I looked the bees knees. Around about the same time, my mum told me that she'd bumped into her friend Eileen and she'd said she'd similarly given her daughter her own money to go out and buy clothes and was worried as Amanda had come home with a very sensible coat from Marks and Spencer!!!
We didn't get pocket money and until I got a Saturday job I had to wear what mum bought.☹️

We didn't get pocket money and until I got a Saturday job I had to wear what mum bought.☹️
Oh yes, I forgot about the good old Saturday job, didn't get my first one until 1979 but by that time most of the money went towards getting into nightclubs underaged and the odd Bacardi and coke. I had it quite lucky really as by 1980 when I started college I was awarded a free bus pass, I had my nan's pocket money which was £1 per week, the £7.80 Saturday job money and the child benefit voucher which if I remember was about £4.80 a week so I was in a pretty good place by then. When I turned 18 though I was on my own, goodbye child benefit cheque, bye bye bus pass, so I had to find myself a full time job:cry:. My nan still insisted I'd get the pocket money, but I think it was more to do with the fact she knew I'd be guaranteed to visit her, and it paid for 10 ciggies lol!

Oh yes, I forgot about the good old Saturday job, didn't get my first one until 1979 but by that time most of the money went towards getting into nightclubs underaged and the odd Bacardi and coke. I had it quite lucky really as by 1980 when I started college I was awarded a free bus pass, I had my nan's pocket money which was £1 per week, the £7.80 Saturday job money and the child benefit voucher which if I remember was about £4.80 a week so I was in a pretty good place by then. When I turned 18 though I was on my own, goodbye child benefit cheque, bye bye bus pass, so I had to find myself a full time job:cry:. My nan still insisted I'd get the pocket money, but I think it was more to do with the fact she knew I'd be guaranteed to visit her, and it paid for 10 ciggies lol!
She didn't give us the child allowance and when we went to the Locarno I used to nick some booze from the sideboard,put in a little bottle to put in our diet cokes. 🤭🤣
Dad was in the police so I was always scared of trying to buy drinks under 18.
By the time I was over 18 I was engaged and we used to get on the bike drive to Hathersage,have a small beer get fish and chips all from ten bob and still get change.

I am not a fan of the Joe Brown range, it is just not me but I have to say at least it has a ‘personality’.I am contrasting that with the Ruth Langford items which I have just seen tonight.Bland, boring, there is no interest/ innovation either in cut or detail, yet she seems to have a finger in every pie including accessories .I am not sufficiently interested in a bit of orange piping or chain hanging loop to pay way OTT for a bog standard garment.Just the sight of Ruth in her skinny fit jeans and wedge sandals is enough.I am obviously in the minority judging by the amount of air time devoted to this range it is a big seller for QVC.

I am not a fan of the Joe Brown range, it is just not me but I have to say at least it has a ‘personality’.I am contrasting that with the Ruth Langford items which I have just seen tonight.Bland, boring, there is no interest/ innovation either in cut or detail, yet she seems to have a finger in every pie including accessories .I am not sufficiently interested in a bit of orange piping or chain hanging loop to pay way OTT for a bog standard garment.Just the sight of Ruth in her skinny fit jeans and wedge sandals is enough.I am obviously in the minority judging by the amount of air time devoted to this range it is a big seller for QVC.
Not for me.

I imagine RL has a contract with QVC to show her range of clothes and accessories X number of hours per month. Marla Wynn and Elemis probably have the same type of contract. From what I remember of Joe Brown's line, it was suitable for people who wanted 'quirky' and different with lots of bells and whistles. RL describes her clothes as having an element of 'quirk' (is that a word?) but I disagree. Her fashions are safe, middle of the road and ordinary. Never the less, I agree that she sells big-time.

Joe Browns isn't for everyone but I'm a bit of an old hippie at heart. Their tunics look good on me as a dress and I like their kaftan type tops. Only tried one of Ruthie's offerings and sent it back.

CC

Latest posts

Back