First footing

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

loveallthingsitalian

Registered Shopper
Ann Dawson and Carla are discussing New Year and Carla has never heard of First Footing.

It is (TBH less now than when I was younger) common in my family, but since It meant absolutely nothing to Carla and this made me wonder if it wasn't a familiar tradition to others?

It's normal for us I've just cleaned the house, made the soup and stovies next is wash and dress then wait til we get a first foot.........happy new year one and all.

First footing used to be done here in Yorkshire not sure if it still is. You used to send a dark haired person out just before midnight to let the New Year in but don't think this is done anymore. Anyway fellow forumites have a Happy New Year.

I know what it is but always thought it was a Scottish tradition - part of Hogmanay. It's not something our family has ever done, either in London or now in East Anglia.

I hope all of you who do partake have a good time.

Happy New Year everyone. Thanks for your company during 2015, I'm looking forward to more of the same next year.

EM xx

I doubt my husband will be able to even see his feet tonight, he doesn't drink much but the party is at my sons mother in laws and father in laws house tonight and when they throw a party it looks like the drinks isle at Tesco's so let's just say, he'll have a few small large ones..........Happy New Year!! :drunk:

Yes, I know of it. When at a party people actually left and came back in on the stroke of midnight to first foot. Oh and you had to bring a lump of coal for good luck to keep the house warm all winter. Makes me a pagan thing because of that.

Parents from Yorkshire used to talk about it, as did a few folk where I grew up in Lancashire but not much participation that I can remember. I remember folk saying my first husband was ideal for the role, having v dark hair; it's supposed to bring good luck for the year if the first person to cross your front door into your house is a man with dark hair. We also got coal in our Xmas stockings to symbolise warmth for the year; the coal was never regarded as a bad thing; though the threat of horse manure for naughty kids was. But maybe this was just a mining community thing? The rest of the country seemed to think coal in one's stocking was a bad thing.

I've heard of it, but thought it was a Scottish thing - the dark stranger, bearing coal, black bun and a wee dram!
Happy new year to you all anyhow, I'm off to bed, I've got flu and feel lousy.

[mum writes]

Where I am in Sussex, the tradition is to open your front and back doors to let the old year out and the new one in. It's something my family have done as far back as I can remember and the current generation still do it. I live away from the big cities though and it's sometimes hard to find anyone else who is still awake come midnight! The local pub has a locals only night and sometimes they might conga round the car park! It's a shame to see these traditions disappearing though. It seems most use the night as a reason to drink as much alcohol as they can and that's it! I remember the days of having to go to work the next morning, but we still made sure we had a good knees-up. Not sure how much work actually got done in the end :) Happy new year to all, good health and peace on Earth for 2016.

We always did First Footing in Liverpool. Preferably someone tall and dark carrying coal and whisky at the stroke of midnight. Never seen anyone down here in the South do it.

[mum writes]

Where I am in Sussex, the tradition is to open your front and back doors to let the old year out and the new one in. It's something my family have done as far back as I can remember and the current generation still do it. I live away from the big cities though and it's sometimes hard to find anyone else who is still awake come midnight! The local pub has a locals only night and sometimes they might conga round the car park! It's a shame to see these traditions disappearing though. It seems most use the night as a reason to drink as much alcohol as they can and that's it! I remember the days of having to go to work the next morning, but we still made sure we had a good knees-up. Not sure how much work actually got done in the end :) Happy new year to all, good health and peace on Earth for 2016.

We're Noobs here in Sussex Moth's Mum (20 years in February) and it's good to read of local customs. So few people grow up and stay in one place these days we have few friends who are Sussex born and bred. I'll pick up this one and do it tonight (making sure the kittens don't escape, especially once the fire works start). Fireworks! That's a modern NY tradition I'd happily see fizzle out!

We live in cumbria, and my mum is scottish, so I am acquainted with it. I don't celebrate new year, fortunately, as I'm at work again tomorrow. It is not something I have ever done and, thank goodness, no-one does it to me, either.

Known about it as long as I can remember - and having had Scottish maternal grandparents it would be difficult not to know! I think most people (certainly over a certain age) do know about it, and even younger members of our family know what it's all about. Much better custom than these ruddy fireworks that seem to start in October and go on til January. Wishing everyone a happy and healthy New Year.
Ann Dawson and Carla are discussing New Year and Carla has never heard of First Footing.

It is (TBH less now than when I was younger) common in my family, but since It meant absolutely nothing to Carla and this made me wonder if it wasn't a familiar tradition to others?

Last edited:
It's a long time since we have done it mainly because I feel you need more than just the two of you in the house.

I think Carla may be a southern city lass through and through so these type of traditions are unlikely to feature in her circle.

I remember my old grandad always used to the the first round on New Years Day with a lump of coal!

I remember my old grandad always used to the the first round on New Years Day with a lump of coal!

I rember the coal (to symbolise the gift of heat for the coming year). I wonder if the whiskey etc is more for Scotland or perhaps my folks just didn't drink very much.

I live in Dundee and as children we were always told that it was lucky to have a tall dark handsome stranger as your first foot. He should bring you a lump of coal and say 'Happy New Year and Lang May Your Lum Reek. This means long may you have coal for your fire and have a smoking chimney.

We always tried to be first footer here in Liverpool growing up but our dog, God bless him, enjoying the atmosphere, always went out and came in first so we ended up giving him the coal to carry in his mouth. He was black with a white bib and a fab companion. Happy days! Best wishes everybody, hope this coming year is kind to you all.

Yes, I know of it. When at a party people actually left and came back in on the stroke of midnight to first foot. Oh and you had to bring a lump of coal for good luck to keep the house warm all winter. Makes me a pagan thing because of that.

Yes forgot about the coal.

Latest posts

Back