Giant Flowering Hibiscus

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

scarlethammer

Registered Shopper
Am I the only person to be suckered in by Richard Jacksons' outlandish claims only to be left extremely disappointed with the results?
Back in early spring I foolishly believed his exaggerated claims that each of the four giant flowering Hibiscus roots he was flogging as a TSV would reach a height of over 3 feet and would produce 60 plate-size flowers between June and October this year and 100 flowers next year. I remember him using phrases such as 'Huge flowers', 'Incredible', 'One of the most exciting plants of our generation' 'Astonishing' etc etc. Impressed by these claims, I went for it. I followed the planting instructions to the letter. I even bought four new pots to house the plants and then waited for the promised 'summer of colour' to appear.
I got to tell you, it's now October and I'm still waiting. Only 3 out of the 4 plants ever made it above ground level. Of the three that saw the light of day, one decided to stop growing when it got to about 12 inches, and the other two reached around 3 feet in height. In fairness, they did produce a few leaves, but guess what, no flowers! Not even a single bud has appeared. The leaves are now changing colour and dropping off, so I guess the promised flowers won't be showing up any time soon.
My question is, how can this man get away with making these false statements?

Try calling CS.

I bought some lilies described as 'lasting all summer long', they didnt all come up, and were, to be honest, pathetic. I'd bought a couple of sets - one was a present and they had the same problems.

I made a complaint, and they refunded. In full.

Like so many others I have had so many disappointments this year !, tree peonies all died !, begonia nearly all died,some plants arrived yellow and shrivelled and close to death ! I cant remember the others but I will not be buying any more plants via QVC, back to the garden centre for me :flower::flower::flower:

I bought some giant begonia tubers. 15 of the blighters in a TSV. As I don't have a green house, they were difficult to grow on. They got in the way in the house, so I put them in the garage on top of the dryer. Bl**dy mice then ate most of them. When I eventually put them into tubs, when threat of frost was over- they grew well and were very big and impressive. Lovely colours too................all 6 of them!
I wouldn't ever buy again because I have nowhere to safely grow the things they sell. Richard Jackson said I could grow them in my airing cupboard but there is no light in there so he was wrong.:flower:

We bought a giant Hibiscus (not from QVC) about three years ago and haven't seen a flower on it yet.!!!!!

Bought two sets of tree peonies. One for me and one set that I gave as three presents to people living in different areas. All went to reasonably good gardeners.
I had one flower on one of mine. Two died and none of the ones I gave away flowered or have even grown much.
I complained and was sent another set. Of those three one is alive. Just.

'Super' Poppies. More like supernatural. Ordered a double set. First lot arrived and despite TLC were dead within a week or so. Complained and they say nursery sent a second set. Did not arrive. They say they then sent another set. Did not arrive - I don't think either lot were dispatched. I eventually got a refund.

Bought David Ausin set of 5 roses on a bargain price. They were good.

First year of buying QVC plants. I will not buy again.

Am I the only person to be suckered in by Richard Jacksons' outlandish claims only to be left extremely disappointed with the results?
Back in early spring I foolishly believed his exaggerated claims that each of the four giant flowering Hibiscus roots he was flogging as a TSV would reach a height of over 3 feet and would produce 60 plate-size flowers between June and October this year and 100 flowers next year. I remember him using phrases such as 'Huge flowers', 'Incredible', 'One of the most exciting plants of our generation' 'Astonishing' etc etc. Impressed by these claims, I went for it. I followed the planting instructions to the letter. I even bought four new pots to house the plants and then waited for the promised 'summer of colour' to appear.
I got to tell you, it's now October and I'm still waiting. Only 3 out of the 4 plants ever made it above ground level. Of the three that saw the light of day, one decided to stop growing when it got to about 12 inches, and the other two reached around 3 feet in height. In fairness, they did produce a few leaves, but guess what, no flowers! Not even a single bud has appeared. The leaves are now changing colour and dropping off, so I guess the promised flowers won't be showing up any time soon.
My question is, how can this man get away with making these false statements?
My giant hibiscus didn't even get to see daylight! So disappointing!
I got a full refund and have vowed never to be taken in by Richard Jackson's fanciful claims ever again. Its not the first time either, I have had poor results from QVC plug plants as well.

Ideal world plants have been far better IMO

Last edited:
My tree peonies are still alive but only one flowered, set of 6 different clematis have done well, the 100 summer bulbs gladies, liatris,iris were good, the acidanthrus were the most beautiful flowers I have ever grown, very unusual and long lasting, anemonies did nothing nor did the freesias. So very mixed feelings, may be they will come up next year. Oh and yesterday I noticed flowers on the Goji berry plants which I had given up on.

Both me and my sister bought trailing begonias a couple of years ago and they were crap. I got the tree peonies and they have all grown a bit but only 1 flower between them - hopefully will get more next year. Have bought various other plants which have failed to do anything.

The only real success I have had with QVC plants is with Raymond Evison clematis and they have grown lovely.

Have decided never to buy any more - will stick to Gardening Direct where I have always had good quality plants from.

I bbought the Strawberry TSV, although the plants grew well and were healthy, I only ever got about 6 ripe strawberries at a time, and over a couple of months.

I bbought the Strawberry TSV, although the plants grew well and were healthy, I only ever got about 6 ripe strawberries at a time, and over a couple of months.

I did slightly better !, got about two bowls full !, but not all at the same time !, so could not enjoy them as "a pud" just had to eat them as they ripened !.

My Hibiscus are about 7 feet tall with plenty of buds, but I doubt they will open at this time of the year. I hope they will come on earlier next year.

I did slightly better !, got about two bowls full !, but not all at the same time !, so could not enjoy them as "a pud" just had to eat them as they ripened !.

That waa not the amount he promised and i feed and watered them, even manged to get a couple of the runners to root.
I also saw it on thompson and norgan website with the same cliams as RJ's.

I bought the strawberry tsv too. they all seemed to grow well, then flowered then just withered away to nothing before they had fruited. only 1 survived.
crocosomia never even appeared first year. 2nd year they appeared
Lavender has taken 2 seasons to finally start growing but is still small and pathetic.
100 summer bulbs about half appeared, 1 was a beautiful white flower on a long stem, really pretty

Mixed results really. Don't think I would order again as it takes more than 30 days before you know whether they are going to be any good

Hi Medusa, The white flowers on a long stem were the acidanthrus that I mentioned in my post. They are so unusual aren't they, they even looked lovely in the evenings as they were mainly white, I have never seen them before and they flowered for such a long time. Mine have got like little seed pods all down the stems now but I don't think you could grow more from them as they are bulbs. I've got to find the instructions to see which bulbs I've got to lift and which to leave in.

most of the plants from qvc are difficult to grow. most bizzie lizzies.begonias always a great sucess and the raymond evison clematis are fantastic.
tree peony,citrus plants and hibiscus are notoriously difficult. i do feel that richard jackson exagerrates i.e sweet peas in hanging baskets.

My hibiscous are exactly the same. They grew to about two feet but not a single bud even appeared and now they are loosing their leaves.
The peonies were just worse as they just died and the trailing sweet peas were just a joke. I love normal sweet peas but all I got from the trailing ones were pea pods:sad::sad:It was not just me not being a good gardener either as I bought some for pressies and they did just as badly in the other gardens.
I will not be buying any more QVC plants no matter what the claims :sad::sad:

And I thought it was just me....

My giant hibiscus (well, 2 of them) have produced 2 long stalks with lots of leaves. Not a bud in sight and now the leaves are turning rather autumnal so I guess that's it for this year.

I bought the tree peonies with the idea they would make nice birthday gifts over the summer. I gave the best one away (i.e. the one that had grown some leaves by July). I kept 2. They are struggling to maintain leaves let alone present me with glorious flowers.

On the plus side, my tree lilies have been totally magnificent. I want more of these next year. Tall, strong, striking. I know a lot of you though can't have these because some members of the lily family are dangerous to cats. We have 4 dogs and cats can't get into our garden so we can enjoy these plants.

I've previously bought clematis (Chelsea time, 2008 I think) and it was lovely in the first season and has been good again this year. I've had some blueberries which have done okay for 2 years now but I think need to go into bigger pots or open ground next year. The set of 3 acers are lovely. The grape vine I bought several years ago has yet to produce a grape. It has fantastic foliage though!

Overall I have been pleased with my QVC gardening purchases but the Hibiscus and Tree Peonies this year have been a big disappointment.

Hi everyone, I have to say all the plants I have bought from QVC have failed. Okay, I am not the best gardener in the world but I do follow instructions to the letter. I can't remember the names of all the plants I have bought but I did buy some blue poppies and some daffodil bulbs plus a few others, but apart from one or two tulips nothing has grown. I have now given up because I have wasted so much money. I now buy direct from Thompson and Morgan and have to say their customer serivce is brilliant. J:hi:

Giant Floweres Hibiscus

Hello, Does anyone remember me saying about three weeks ago that my hibiscus had now got buds but I didn`t think they would open this late in the year? I`ve now got two white flowere and four red ones!!!!!!! I`ve measured them , and they vary from 7" to 9" in diameter.

Latest posts

Back