Gold jewellery and the Italian ‘spin’

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

W

watersiren

Guest Shopper
Gold jewellery and the Italian ‘spin’

At QVC, they seem to like all things Italian – so do I – and they increasingly use it as an effective marketing tool, especially when they sell </O:p
They used to sell beautiful 9ct, 14 & 18 ct gold <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:p></O:p>
As a consumer, I was dismayed at the direction QVC decided to take which is not on par with the overall image they try to portray; that is, their being honest and always trying to educate their customers. Also, the emphasis on quality.<O:p></O:p>
<O:p> </O:p>
A. 9CT ITALIAN OR ITALIAN ‘STYLE’ GOLD<O:p></O:p>
By using terms like ‘Italian’ or ‘Italian ‘style’ to describe <st1:personName>j</st1:personName>ewellery presented by an Italian manufacturer/rep, QVC seems to try to sell those pieces via an overt marketing message to the consumer: ‘look you are buying Italian <st1:personName>j</st1:personName>ewellery’. This message may be technically right, if the design is Italian and the place of manufacture is <st1:country-region><ST1:place>Italy</ST1:place></st1:country-region>. However, it is also misleading. Another fact is that the same gentleman would have not been able to sell these ‘Italian’ pieces in the Italian market as it is illegal to produce (need to apply to the Italian authorities for a special license, which they must have done so for QVC) and sell other than 18ct gold. An Italian will tell you that there is no such thing as ‘9ct gold Italian <st1:personName>j</st1:personName>ewellery’. It is not wrong to commission 9ct gold pieces for a market that buys primarily 9ct gold <st1:personName>j</st1:personName>ewellery, but why isn’t QVC educating us about the difference? What is the ‘reality’ and what is the ‘perception of reality’ and which one is QVC using to sell? <O:p></O:p>
B. 14CT AND 18CT ITALIAN ‘COUTURE’ JEWELLERY<O:p></O:p>
QVC sell very few 14ct and 18ct <st1:personName>j</st1:personName>ewellery nowadays (other than DQ), obviously because they cannot afford to offer the reasonable prices anymore. However, they have come up with this brilliant idea of the ‘electroform/artform’ process. Now you can buy these huge pieces which come with their own cave. I regularly visit <st1:personName>j</st1:personName>ewellers around <ST1:place>Europe</ST1:place> and they wouldn’t dare selling smth like that (I purchased a couple to show them). Not every piece in the market is solid, if not exactly the opposite, but there is an analogy between the size of the piece and the cavity within. You would be hard-pressed to find this ‘electroform/artform’ pieces sold by any other retailer…to describe them as ‘Italian’ and ‘couture’, that is too much!<O:p></O:p>
They obviously think they can sooo get away with it; they have started to use this process on silver <st1:personName>j</st1:personName>ewellery and recently with Veronese. This semi-deceptive attitude and low standard happen all too often lately, at least with <st1:personName>j</st1:personName>ewellery.<O:p></O:p>
Is it only me who thinks that? <O:p> </O:p>

Please read the first paragraph again.

At QVC, they seem to like all things Italian – so do I – and they increasingly use it as an effective marketing tool, especially when they sell <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
><st1:PersonName><SPAN style=
j</SPAN></st1:personName>ewellery; not in a very honest manner though, in my view. I will explain.
They used to sell beautiful 9ct, 14 & 18 ct gold <st1:personName>j</st1:personName>ewellery at very reasonable prices. Some 18mths ago, they started talking constantly about the price hike of gold in the open market and looked worried about their ability to sustain such prices. Then, they started flying an Italian guy over to do specific shows dedicated to: a) 9ct Italian or Italian ‘style’ gold; and b) 14ct and 18ct Italian ‘couture’ <st1:personName>j</st1:personName>ewellery. <O:p></O:p>
As a consumer, I was dismayed at the direction QVC decided to take which is not on par with the overall image they try to portray; that is, their being honest and always trying to educate their customers. Also, the emphasis on quality.<O:p></O:p>

At QVC, they seem to like all things Italian – so do I – and they increasingly use it as an effective marketing tool, especially when they sell <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
><st1:PersonName><SPAN style=
j</SPAN></st1:personName>ewellery; not in a very honest manner though, in my view. I will explain.
They used to sell beautiful 9ct, 14 & 18 ct gold <st1:personName>j</st1:personName>ewellery at very reasonable prices. Some 18mths ago, they started talking constantly about the price hike of gold in the open market and looked worried about their ability to sustain such prices. Then, they started flying an Italian guy over to do specific shows dedicated to: a) 9ct Italian or Italian ‘style’ gold; and b) 14ct and 18ct Italian ‘couture’ <st1:personName>j</st1:personName>ewellery. <O:p></O:p>

Yes, gold has increased in value and unfortunately is a side effect of the global recession. If you go to the middle-far east, they sell you gold at the current market rate not a fixed rate. QVC have probably taken the decision not to try and sell gold jewellery at market prices which does fluctuate and try and make something affordable.

I'll have to agree you on the principle of your post - though you have to include Clogau Gold (which contains a minute amount of Welsh Gold) in the way it is advertised. Note that Welsh Gold is practically non-existent now!

You make a very good point about the gold content of pieces here vs overseas - I am pretty sure Italy are not the only country that don't consider 9k gold to be 'gold'.

It is a bit strange to call something that's nearly two thirds not gold, 'gold' . (I do own some, and I understand it's all to do with market forces and affordeability, but it is also really quite daft).

Latest posts

Back