I have had 'the letter' and am about to make 'the telephone call'....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

SuziQ

Registered Shopper
I have received a letter today from QVC finance saying they want to discuss my account. I knew it was coming- only yesterday I completed a spreadsheet because I was annoyed at how many of the ( far fewer these days) orders I make with QVC are returned. The fact is, 66% of my returns were either replacement ( Clarks sandals - sole completely came off one sandal after very little wear. Second pair have so far been ok but they aren't worn in winter!) the wrong size sent out, poor advice (in my opinion- and seemingly by many others according to the reviews) or items that didn't work on arrival or broke after a couple of uses. I also had to return an acer computer that stopped working after a few months ( Acer wanted almost £80 to supply a recovery disk but QVC were, I thought, great and collected and refunded.) the other returns were 3 items I bought as Christmas presents which weren't liked and a Laura Geller set which I knew wouldn't suit me. I returned more items under distance selling regs, unused , than I did of the unwanted used stuff.

I think it looks bad because I don't order so much any more but I think this is probably the end for me- a perfect excuse to close my account. Not until I have had my say about what I see as a quality control problem first, though!

Go girl ! a perfect opportunity to give it to 'em with both barrels; and if it were me I'd add loads of other 'stuff' to the moaning list !!!!!

Good luck!

You were perfectly justified in returning those items. Bit of a cheek holding it against you when things weren't up to standard. They bang on enough about the money back guarantee for perfect items never mind faulty ones, plus always boasting of their wonderful customer service. Give them a good roasting, they deserve it.

They don`t deserve patronising IMO. They give out a load of blurb about the 30 day mbg, how good it is etc etc, they encourage people to buy different sizes, colours etc, tell people it saves them money to order more than one of something and just return anything they don`t want, they charge some of the highest p and p I`ve ever seen, have at times the worst delivery times and are frequently sending out used or faulty items, they try to make everything sound so simple when in reality it`s far from simple, have hit and miss customer service, presenters who not only lie at times but smile whilst doing it, don`t forewarn customers about " the letter " and half the time their products and prices " aint all that ! " anyway. No wonder people stop shopping with them or rarely shop with them and I`m one of those people. Just 3 orders last year and that was for items which are still cheaper with Q ( ABC, AD Synergy and SBC tsvs ) but the minute I can find them cheaper elsewhere then Q can go whistle.

I've had this before but I'm expecting it again soon as I've used the DSR several times recently, all because of poor information at the point of sale. They can hardly hold it against you when they don't tell you something relevant, or if the items are just rubbish and don't work. Give 'em hell!

I wouldn't call. There's no point in ranting at someone who is only there to follow a script.

I think you should write or email instead - stating clearly (without emotion) exactly why your returns rate has increased and ask them if it's fair that you should be held responsible for being simply being the recipient of faulty or misdescribed goods.

Ask them how you could have avoided such situations.

Put the ball back in their court.

I'm just curious - assume that you're a viewer without a PC or internet/app access - do QVC tell you anywhere on screen or during the account creating and order process that any terms and conditions apply? I've certainly never seen anything. I ask because, when you order, you're creating a contract with QVC and if they don't disclose their terms and conditions before you make that contract, they can't enforce them at all, which would make all their actions technically illegal. I'm sure they know what they're doing but they must just be scraping within the bounds of the law. The keep on insisting how easy it is to create an account and order for the first time, but, again, no mention of T&Cs or limits in service.

I'm sure the number of first time buyers would drop if they made it more clear.

Your right to return mail order goods under the DSR is a statutory right and as such cannot be modified or limited by QVC. The only quibbling they can do is about the number of goods returned under their 30 day mbg which is offered by them over and above the DSR statutory right. Every item you order has with it a right to cancel under the DSR and QVC cannot say that you have canceled too many items previously so that you're next orders cannot be canceled under this right. However, they can still reserve the right to cut you off from ordering anything further.
Also anything returned as faulty or the wrong item received is covered by statutory consumer rights so if you are going to email them I'd recalculate your % returns that are returned under the 30 day mbg only and maybe you'll get it down below 50% once you remove the DSR & faulty items from the equation. I'd agree that emailing is better than phoning.

I agree with the emailing too. Sometimes on the phone you can be distracted by what is being said by the other person - but if you put it down in writing, you will have time to work out what has been faulty, etc. and put your case over clearly. It can also take the emotion out of the situation and that can be a good thing. Good luck.

They should have at least 3 ways of measuring returns not the bog standard one they use now.
I can think of at least or even 4 reasons why I have had to return items.
1) Items that I never received in the first place, Hermes left them on the doorstep in full view of the road and someone walked off with them. This has happened at least twice to me usually around Christmas time . But on Q's system it is a return.
2) Items that just didn't meet my perceived expectations ie: a steam cleaner which produced so little steam it was useless. Still a return
3) The items which gave up the ghost after 3 or 4 months ie: the tablet that I could no longer charge. Yet another return
4) Some thing returned under the DSR Oh yes guess what another return
5)Something returned under Q's much advertised 30MBG. Now this is the ONLY item that in my opinion should be classed as a return.
All of the others where either due to shoddy manufacturing or theft. So not my the customers fault.
I am sure that you have all had incidents of a similar nature.

This is the 'other side of the coin' to the bragging 30 day MBG they go on & on about.They all do it but Catherine C seems to go on & on & on, you know you can use the entire contents of pot of cream & still return etc. etc.When something is faulty what are you supposed to do?I had a Slendertone facial unit & the band snapped, I returned & got a full refund no problem BUT I have obviously not crossed the no. of returns line!! Agree about the email approach asking what are you expected to do.If the account is closed then it should be from you not Q.

Firstly, I am in no way defending Q's actions but here is something to remember:

This isn't personal. Q is a business and it wants to make money.

Customers who have too many returns are not as profitable - it's as simple as that.

As a business, they can refuse to trade with anyone who does not meet with their approval (as long as refusal is not based on 'protected characteristics' such as race, disability, sexual orientation etc).

When you first get your membership details you are made aware that there are additional terms and conditions - if you don't have access to the web then you can ask for a hard copy to be posted to you... but, let's face it, how many of us do actually read all of the small print before we buy?

So, Q is giving the customer a 'heads up' that it might be exercising its right to refuse an order sometime in the future.

The letter doesn't imply that the normal statutory rights won't be honored for existing / past orders... such as with faulty goods, not fit for purpose or whatever. It's simply saying that the returns rate is higher than it likes and it may decide not to do business with a customer as a result.

My only criticism would be the over-play on the 30 day MBG by the presenters.

They make everything look like wonderland ....this is phenomenal and you can take it away for 30 days ...blah blah blah blah de blah blah ...spew .......l.sorry but it is all bs and contrived in my humble opinion :puke::headbang:

I would definitely agree about emailing rather than having a telephone conversation, but those of you who have spoken to someone following "the letter" in the past, how were they? Were they patronising and reprimanding in their tone or seemingly keen to keep you as a customer? What did they say if you argued that some of what they classed as returns were, for example, faulty products or items not received?

By the way, don't they also count as a return items you cancel before they are even sent (so incurring no costs at all for them), such as future auto deliveries and items on wait list? Now that IS wrong if they do.

I'd email the CEO, detailing what you have returned and why. He usually responds quickly. When I contacted him, his office rang me within a couple of hours.

You should also point out how often the customers are told that they can use items and return them under the 30mbg. If this isn't the case then they should stop saying it or should at least add " if you return too many things then you'll get a letter." It's like their so called 'independent review panel.' Independent my eye, they just reject any that don't say what they want.

. They give out a load of blurb about the 30 day mbg, how good it is etc etc, they encourage people to buy different sizes, colours etc, tell people it saves them money to order more than one of something and just return anything they don`t want
That's exactly what I said to them Vienna when had The Letter, I said that the presenters encourage to buy different colours of one item and return the ones that don't suit. The person on the other end was very calm and I thought that it may be be a psychologist not just any office admin.

I'd email the CEO, detailing what you have returned and why. He usually responds quickly. When I contacted him, his office rang me within a couple of hours.

You should also point out how often the customers are told that they can use items and return them under the 30mbg. If this isn't the case then they should stop saying it or should at least add " if you return too many things then you'll get a letter." It's like their so called 'independent review panel.' Independent my eye, they just reject any that don't say what they want.

As an observer of the sales techniques, and a non ever purchaser from QVC, it seems that if you complain, then I am sure the squad of spin doctors at QVC will some how modify the complaint and turn it into a 5***** review of their CS dept. :mysmilie_59:
Or should I have put BS dept?:mysmilie_17:

Good for you, SuziQ. The problem of poor quality items being listed as if they were good things returned by daft customers who order the wrong things is one QVC needs to address immediately. I am sure I shall get The Letter soon because I buy comparatively little from them these days, and in the last year or so half my returns have been electrical items which have either set on fire or leaked water. Highly dangerous, apart from anything else.
And yet there is nothing to distinguish them from things I returned because I changed my mind about the colour or fit or usefulness, something I do only rarely.
You give it to them with both barrels from your metaphorical shotgun, and you will hear a lot of cheers from the readers of this forum.

I think the best way to get a result is to first of all write down in sequence exactly what you ordered. Stick to facts, not opinions - they should speak for themselves from what you've said, ie what and when you ordered, when it arrived, in what condition, when and why it was returned and your resultant contact with CS. Don't let emotion get in the way, mad though you and anyone else would be - facts speak louder than words. Once you've written down the facts, write down what your rights are and what you expect from them with regard to their terms and conditions of sale, and how they've failed. Facts, facts, facts. Hammer 'em with them as coldly and dispassionately as you can. Nobody likes an argument they can't win or where the complainant has already scotched all their arguments before they've thought about what they might say. When you've mustered all your facts together, ask them some pertinent questions like what they intend to do to help you, the customer. Email them with the above once you're sure it's correct - nothing like having a copy of a complaint to remind them in writing. This technique has always worked for me. Hope it helps.

I would marshal all the facts as recommended but I would actually call just to have the satisfaction of having a go at them. I would just want to say actually you say 60% returns rate, but when I take account of the goods which were broken or not fit for sale, it actually comes down to 20% which I returned under the 30DMBG having simply changed my mind, so this seems to have been sent to me in error. I would definitely email the CEO, attaching your spreadsheet!!!!!, to let him know that this is not an appropriate approach for them to have made to you. And why not ask him why they are incapable of seeing the difference between their % and yours when they were given all the relevant information for their records at the time. ****** useless administration at that company.

Latest posts

Back