I think the feedback is getting through

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

You can see in the inside of ring bands and metal bangles that they're pretty hollow. Which is probably why presenters rarely show you anything but them "face on" to the cameras.

And Gemporia presenters never ever mention stone treatments, unless it's to occasionally emphasise how natural any on-air gem may be, so they're absolutely definitely never going to mention how little precious metals an item may have.

Well, except for Lindsay Carr, who will happily describe a piece having less than 2g of precious metals as having a "luxury" amount of it.

I doubt Lindsey Carr can tell the difference between 2g and 2kg to be fair.

Yes, I remember they'd show most rings off the finger and give a full 'gyroscope' view.

Haven't seen that in a loooong time.
They're too busy price comparing to Tiffany's, telling us that Collector from Uzbekistan has bought 127 of them, reading out Christine from Northamptonshire's 17th poem poem of the day, or trying to break the Guinness book of records for the amount of time 'absolutely' can be said in a 4-hour period.

Yes, I remember they'd show most rings off the finger and give a full 'gyroscope' view.

Haven't seen that in a loooong time.
They used to do that if they had fancy pattern on the cage, or whatever it's called, or if they had extra stones 'hidden', but I don't recall ever seeing the back of the band, for more than a spit. Recently, yesterday I think, Hattie showed a wide ring, and quickly, but not for long, showed the band to say there was enough gold there to resize. It looked like a hair compared to the front.

They used to do that if they had fancy pattern on the cage, or whatever it's called, or if they had extra stones 'hidden', but I don't recall ever seeing the back of the band, for more than a spit. Recently, yesterday I think, Hattie showed a wide ring, and quickly, but not for long, showed the band to say there was enough gold there to resize. It looked like a hair compared to the front.
The reviews on Trustpilot are very revealing. Many people mostly refer to the metals in their jewellery purchases as "foil".

There was one that a Gemporia media minion actually replied to, where they argued that people shopped with Gemporia for the gemstones alone; the gold, silver or platinum was effectively a bonus, so people shouldn't be complaining, since they can always reset the stones in other jewellery items.

I really can't imagine why presenters haven't used that argument on air. I can see Jess Foley staring straight into the camera and smirking after declaring that to the world

The reviews on Trustpilot are very revealing. Many people mostly refer to the metals in their jewellery purchases as "foil".

There was one that a Gemporia media minion actually replied to, where they argued that people shopped with Gemporia for the gemstones alone; the gold, silver or platinum was effectively a bonus, so people shouldn't be complaining, since they can always reset the stones in other jewellery items.

I really can't imagine why presenters haven't used that argument on air. I can see Jess Foley staring straight into the camera and smirking after declaring that to the world

If that's the case, why isn't Gem Collector the main channel, because based on their logic, loose gemstones should be outselling jewellery............

I recall they have used that argument before, especially where stones set into silver were concerned. Presenters (especially Lynn) have said that stones like this should be set in gold (which then begs the question: well, why didn't you set it in gold?) and also that the customer could have the piece re-set into gold when you get it home. This also begs the question why someone would want to go to the trouble and expense of having the item re-set, when surely you would be looking to buy the stone set into gold or platinum in the first place?

As has been said already, if they're going to make this claim why not just sell loose gemstones, and then the customer can decide what they want to do with them?

I notice that they don't emphasise in their on-screen spiel that anyone can look up the current price of gold, silver or platinum and work it out for themselves, even allowing for the fact that the price can fluctuate.

This also begs the question why someone would want to go to the trouble and expense of having the item re-set, when surely you would be looking to buy the stone set into gold or platinum in the first place?
Another thing I've said here. If you could afford to have it set into a higher value metal, you'd buy it in that metal to begin with.

Angeline selling a lot of peridot set in silver said that today. I thought quality gems were always set in gold/platinum not silver. Also she said the sun was out and they were doing low, low prices as people were outside.

Angeline selling a lot of peridot set in silver said that today. I thought quality gems were always set in gold/platinum not silver. Also she said the sun was out and they were doing low, low prices as people were outside.
I know you have folk of different wage packets or whatever, so they have to cater for all, but if it's set in silver: leave it at that. Instead of upping the quality of the stone to a different metal. I mean, you wouldn't expect to see a Leherer cut set in silver, even if it's the same stone. But if you have a 'run of the mill' cut just sell it and let the people who want to buy it buy it. Unless they're all outside getting sunburnt :p

Or maybe they were inside, but just decided they didn't want to tune into Gemporia to see Troth waffling for an hour or see more gold tone crap.

I know you have folk of different wage packets or whatever, so they have to cater for all, but if it's set in silver: leave it at that. Instead of upping the quality of the stone to a different metal. I mean, you wouldn't expect to see a Leherer cut set in silver, even if it's the same stone. But if you have a 'run of the mill' cut just sell it and let the people who want to buy it buy it. Unless they're all outside getting sunburnt :p

They contradict themselves anyway. They used to claim that they set the same quality stones into gold as they do silver.

Then in their next breath, they're claiming "this stone is so good, we should have set it into gold or platinum".

They contradict themselves anyway. They used to claim that they set the same quality stones into gold as they do silver.

Then in their next breath, they're claiming "this stone is so good, we should have set it into gold or platinum".
I think that's a consequence of having had Wagstaffe as a MD. Like Gemporia, TJC presenters still use a variety of stock phrases and ruses introduced during the Beardy Weirdy's watch that totally contradict each other. Which makes each channel appear completely schizophrenic if you watch them for any length of time.

The most common ones being the proud declarations that both companies sell their goods at supposedly low prices because they buy big, which drives costs down. So nobody should really be shocked by the prices, especially the presenters who you'd imagine would be used to it all.

Conversely, 10 minutes later you can have the same presenter on either channel going into a very badly acted faux tizzy, as the final price is allegedly far too low. Which is obviously an insult to the presenters' honour, the buyers' honour, and quite possibly the items for sale creators' honour.

It's not something that gives me any great confidence in what is up for sale, because if these goods cannot be sold on their own merits but are deemed to need a combination of flannel and bad acting to shift them, then they're probably very overpriced and/or poorer quality goods than the presenters are wanting to admit.

Another thing I've said here. If you could afford to have it set into a higher value metal, you'd buy it in that metal to begin with.
Got to be honest. I prefer silver. Always have, always will. I hate platinum, to me it's grey and not very reflective. I don't like white gold (rather have silver). I can accept yellow and rose gold - NOT plated though. But I like silver best. So, for me at least, it's not a matter of affording to have it set in a more expensive metal. I'd rather pay the extra for a better stone and have it in silver than have an average stone in gold. It's all down to your personal preference really innit?

As incompetent and thick as Wagstaffe was, this was all going on WAY before he got anywhere near Gemporia.

It might have got slightly worse on his watch - but he wasn't the sold problem.
I don't think that I blamed Wagstaffe alone, but as someone who discovered Gemporia after TJC it's very obvious to see the Wagstaffe effect on both companies.

Along with the huge jump into gold overlay jewellery, and the diversification into non-jewellery stock. Though TJC did the latter at a far more measured pace; Gemporia seemed to try doing that almost overnight by comparison, and while the COVID lockdowns undoubtedly helped them initially, the bubble soon burst as life started returning to normality.

Got to be honest. I prefer silver. Always have, always will. I hate platinum, to me it's grey and not very reflective. I don't like white gold (rather have silver). I can accept yellow and rose gold - NOT plated though. But I like silver best. So, for me at least, it's not a matter of affording to have it set in a more expensive metal. I'd rather pay the extra for a better stone and have it in silver than have an average stone in gold. It's all down to your personal preference really innit?
I prefer silver too. It suits my skin tone better. I don't mind yellow gold, but it is a no too here, for plated.