I'm sorry, but does Peter actually realise what he is saying?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Peter is currently working his nuts off flogging a series of watches with the brand name 'Pendule'.The keen eyed obsever will note that they look very similar to the Earnshaw range,which is not surprising as they are from the same manufacturer Solartime and are fitted with the same movements from the Seagull company.
It looks as though there has been a management directive to the presenters to acknowledge the p&p rather than the old policy of total denial.
This is no doubt due to the recent interventions by the ASA.Perhaps the members of this forum can take some credit for bringing this to the ASA's attention.
It would be interesting to know how this new transparency is impacting on the sales figures.In any event it's good to see them starting to clean up their act!

im afraid you are like Bid Presenters building up a low end product. FYI quartz or battery watches have a module, mechanical or wind up watches have movements. Cheers biddy buddy.

Oh my goodness, another classic faux pas from Peter Simon.
He was just doing his preview for his shift and showing the efbe shott steam cleaner but, unfortunately, it came out of his mouth as effin bott!! Priceless!!

And yes, it's good to see him under pressure and having to watch what he says

When James Russell handed over to Sally Jacks at 6.30pm he said 'award winning show' and Sally, looking bemused said 'what award?'. Then she said 'where's my statue then?'

He is such an arse but fair play to Sally, I really get the impression there is absolutely no love lost between those two.

If they really want an award why don't we get together and create our own ceremony, we could call it 'The Blags'. I could think of a few categories, how about 'Award for Shopping TV Presenter most likely to exaggerate the healing powers of a Plastic/Glass figurine'. And the winner is ...............

Surely there must also be a category for "The most colourful descriptions"? & The ultimate winner is.....Peter Simon & his loving portrayal of Thomas Kinkade! Described as a devout defender of faith, (who was known and quoted by The Guardian for his urinating on Winnie the Poo on a regular basis but I don't think Peter mentioned that bit & the rest, the court verdicts that found him guilty of defrauding people, the drink & drug crazy world he lived in etc lol) :nod:

Last edited:
Peter Simon was selling a Brown beaded bracelet last night and he said
'I'm not allowed to tell you but this is very similar to a huge design brand'
Ha ha he's definately been told off, but at least its curing his brand name tourettes!
he also kept describing it as BRIAL, i'd never heard of that word so i asked Mrs Earwig
what it was.... she said it is a cross between BROWN AND VILE ha ha....

Well the ASA can try and spoil all the fun but they're pretty toothless, all it will do is get the channels more attention and push them to develop more cunning ways to sell stuff (fine products - 2 weeks and my egg cup things are STILL going!), without falling fowl of any guidelines. Besides should it be the ASA dealing with this? The are not really adverts, it's shopping, it's no more than a guy in Currys trying his hardest to flog you a TV, so it should be more Trading Standards turf...but then it's a TV channel so should it not be OfCom?

You know what - it's such a grey area as to who should regulate them that let's just leave them alone - the big fuzzy warm and friendly world of free market capitalism will regulate them just fine - if people are not happy they will not return to buy...

Also, Peter Simons is a lyrical genius.

Twitter: @petersimonsays. (Not me!)

Oh my goodness, another classic faux pas from Peter Simon.
He was just doing his preview for his shift and showing the efbe shott steam cleaner but, unfortunately, it came out of his mouth as effin bott!! Priceless!!

And yes, it's good to see him under pressure and having to watch what he says

I am convinced he does it deliberately. He was also calling Yonanas 'yoo-niners' in the preview which then became 'yoo-nanas' and ended up 'Yonanas'.

And he knocked me sick when he asked the cameraman over to taste and of course he had to feed him the desert with the spoon he had been licking and slurping on.

Utterly gross.

Well the ASA can try and spoil all the fun but they're pretty toothless, all it will do is get the channels more attention and push them to develop more cunning ways to sell stuff (fine products - 2 weeks and my egg cup things are STILL going!), without falling fowl of any guidelines. Besides should it be the ASA dealing with this? The are not really adverts, it's shopping, it's no more than a guy in Currys trying his hardest to flog you a TV, so it should be more Trading Standards turf...but then it's a TV channel so should it not be OfCom?

You know what - it's such a grey area as to who should regulate them that let's just leave them alone - the big fuzzy warm and friendly world of free market capitalism will regulate them just fine - if people are not happy they will not return to buy...

Also, Peter Simons is a lyrical genius.

Twitter: @petersimonsays. (Not me!)

I get what you mean about grey areas on who regulates advertisements (which is what Shopping Channels effectively consist of) but for the most part the ASA clearly do. If they breach the Broadcasting Code (decency, offence and many, many other categories) that is regulated by OFCOM. But Trading Standards also investigate some advertising as well. Personally I don't find misleading sales pitches 'fun', not on any Shopping Channel so I don't think the ASA are spoiling anyone's 'fun'.

As for just leaving them alone if that had happened I suspect we wouldn't have seen any of the recent, and very welcome improvements. I see it as offering them some much needed help and assuming they are a responsible retailer i'm sure they are grateful for the feedback.

There can still be plenty of fun. The tall tales, mispronouncing, cock up's etc, that is all fine and part of the territory and gives us on here plenty of fodder to laugh at. Misleading consumers is not fine though.

Last edited:
I get what you mean about grey areas on who regulates advertisements (which is what Shopping Channels effectively consist of) but for the most part the ASA clearly do. If they breach the Broadcasting Code (decency, offence and many, many other categories) that is regulated by OFCOM. But Trading Standards also investigate some advertising as well. Personally I don't find misleading sales pitches 'fun', not on any Shopping Channel so I don't think the ASA are spoiling anyone's 'fun'.

As for just leaving them alone if that had happened I suspect we wouldn't have seen any of the recent, and very welcome improvements. I see it as offering them some much needed help and assuming they are a responsible retailer i'm sure they are grateful for the feedback.

There can still be plenty of fun. The tall tales, mispronouncing, cock up's etc, that is all fine and part of the territory and gives us on here plenty of fodder to laugh at. Misleading consumers is not fine though.

I can't think of any occasion when they have deliberately mislead viewers...in such a way that we see them deliberately lie and say something that is completely untrue. Yes it's little white lie galore, and they do lay on the pressure to make the sale but its not that bad and this kind of thing happens in sales - all sales, everywhere.

I went for a curry last night, somewhere I've never been before, I read the menu and couldn't decide what I wanted. I asked the waiter for something with a tomatoe base and that was solitary to a Saag (spinach!), I asked him if the Jabrologi (something like that) was like this and he said it was not and pointed me to the £14 special - twice the price - when the meal arrived it was nothing like a Saag, it was in fact creamy with spinach added. I complained (politely) they did nothing. I will not be contacting the ASA about the fact that the waiter mis sold to me, nor will I be contacting trading standards as the menu is mis leading, nor will I be contacting OfCom as, well, there not on TV - I simply didn't tip, won't be going back and have tweeted and Facebooked to all my friends (a lot) not to go there. F*ck em.

I can't think of any occasion when they have deliberately mislead viewers...in such a way that we see them deliberately lie and say something that is completely untrue. Yes it's little white lie galore, and they do lay on the pressure to make the sale but its not that bad and this kind of thing happens in sales - all sales, everywhere.

I went for a curry last night, somewhere I've never been before, I read the menu and couldn't decide what I wanted. I asked the waiter for something with a tomatoe base and that was solitary to a Saag (spinach!), I asked him if the Jabrologi (something like that) was like this and he said it was not and pointed me to the £14 special - twice the price - when the meal arrived it was nothing like a Saag, it was in fact creamy with spinach added. I complained (politely) they did nothing. I will not be contacting the ASA about the fact that the waiter mis sold to me, nor will I be contacting trading standards as the menu is mis leading, nor will I be contacting OfCom as, well, there not on TV - I simply didn't tip, won't be going back and have tweeted and Facebooked to all my friends (a lot) not to go there. F*ck em.

Let's agree to disagree :happy:

oh heck, the trolls are back in town
completely and utterly irrelevant twaddle :taphead::headbang:

A factual and weighty argument that deals with FACTS!

Take a few minutes to read my other posts...I'm sure you'll find they are as fair and balanced as they come and in no way irrelevant or twaddle.

You just don't like these channels but plenty do, that's why they've been around over a decade.

:)

I know they say you shouldn't give trolls oxygen but invariably I just can't help lobbing in a big fire extinguishing comment back. Sometimes, as with a real fire it makes the flame more angry but then you can either, reply if you have something constructive to say that shows them up for what they are or if they get really bad report them :wink::wink::grin:

I am very happy for the ASA to independently investigate any viewer concerns and of course let the advertiser have their right of reply. At the end of the day it's the ASA's view that counts and that will be reflected in their adjudication.

That's totally fair and fairness is what most people are seeking. In the meantime it's great fun to comment on here about the obviously daft stories that Bid's and most shopping channel presenters tell but I shall not be commenting whatsoever on any pending complaints I may have made.

The regulator can decide, that's their job and as fellow forum members know they have recently given their view on several complaints about Bid Shopping. Maybe have look yourselves to see the nature of the complaints, and how many were or were not upheld.

Last edited:
A factual and weighty argument that deals with FACTS!

Take a few minutes to read my other posts...I'm sure you'll find they are as fair and balanced as they come and in no way irrelevant or twaddle.

You just don't like these channels but plenty do, that's why they've been around over a decade

:)

huge assumption............huge mistake

I am very happy for the ASA to independently investigate any viewer concerns and of course let the advertiser have their right of reply. At the end of the day it's the ASA's view that counts and that will be reflected in their adjudication.

That's totally fair and fairness is what most people are seeking. In the meantime it's great fun to comment on here about the obviously daft stories that they and most shopping channel presenters tell but I shall not be commenting whatsoever on any pending complaints I may have made.

I agree.

I think that if you look hard enough you can always find something to complain about with any business out there, regardless of what they do or what sector they are in, from your supermarkets to market traders. People will invariably get thinks wrong or try their luck. The problem (alleged) with these channels is they tend to push their luck a lot. They straddle the very thin line of what people will find acceptable and with so many people watching they often get people's backs up.
And then the complaints start, sales by there very nature are there to convince people to buy something, and most things these days we don't need or don't actually want, so you have to convince people to buy, to change their minds and get their debit card or cash out...and when you convince someone, when of change their minds and spend some money you will break a rule somewhere...

I agree.

I think that if you look hard enough you can always find something to complain about with any business out there, regardless of what they do or what sector they are in, from your supermarkets to market traders. People will invariably get thinks wrong or try their luck. The problem (alleged) with these channels is they tend to push their luck a lot. They straddle the very thin line of what people will find acceptable and with so many people watching they often get people's backs up.
And then the complaints start, sales by there very nature are there to convince people to buy something, and most things these days we don't need or don't actually want, so you have to convince people to buy, to change their minds and get their debit card or cash out...and when you convince someone, when of change their minds and spend some money you will break a rule somewhere...

Of course it depends on the advertiser. Sometimes it's very easy to spot a misleading or inaccurate sales description, or a misleading description of associated purchase charges.

I guess persistent offenders are the ones who tend to be highlighted more and, in my opinion, quite rightly too.

Everyone can make genuine mistakes, of course they can. Making persistently similar mistakes is much harder to justify and one could easily assume it's deliberate.

Last edited:
I agree.

Main problem is that for Bid they do it on TV, so it's there to be replayed & adequately scrutinised. Something they're starting to bear in mind when presenting now as P Simon admitted the other night. Ironically by saying that he was implying that they weren't that bothered before lol. I'd have expected more business savvy from a Tv shopping channel!

Latest posts

Back