is Jilly pregnant

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I know. I deliberately missed out the word "elderly" because 1) I don't think 51 is elderly anyway - it's just early middle age, and 2) There are certain people on this forum would would extrapolate it to mean that I have some sort of problem with older women - which I don't. I think that any women I have criticised on QVC (mainly Lulu, Sarah Shurety and Alison Young) tend to be >50 because that is the demographic for QVC's staff and probably their customers. I'm not a fan of Chloe Everton either and she is not someone I would class as an older woman.
In Jilly's case I guess it would tertiagravida. But surely having had 2 children already may have changed her shape?

"Primagravida" just means first pregnancy.

Jilly has 2 children.

"Elderly primagravida" means first pregnancy over 35, although I also had this tag with my first successful pregnancy at 31. It's weird to be "elderly" anything at 30something!

Now I'm hurtling towards being an "elderly pedant". :wink:

PLEASE, can someone tell me, WHEN and WHERE did all this pregnancy 'jargon' come from ???? I heard for the first time when Prince George was born, the term "Trimester ?" used - what's that all about ? whatever is wrong with good old fashioned English and referring to the "first 3 months, or first 6 months " etc etc. Probably some smarty "..rse" who did a course in the States and decided to use it in their essay work over here !

I don't know about becoming 'technology overloaded', but the Queen's English is gradually not only being dumbed down, but increasingly gobbledegooked (another made up word)

PLEASE, can someone tell me, WHEN and WHERE did all this pregnancy 'jargon' come from ???? I heard for the first time when Prince George was born, the term "Trimester ?" used - what's that all about ? whatever is wrong with good old fashioned English and referring to the "first 3 months, or first 6 months " etc etc. Probably some smarty "..rse" who did a course in the States and decided to use it in their essay work over here !

I don't know about becoming 'technology overloaded', but the Queen's English is gradually not only being dumbed down, but increasingly gobbledegooked (another made up word)

Different spheres in life each have their respective jargon; - academic, legal, medical and journalistic. One of my favourite journalistic jargon words is the verb "to axe." So and so had their contract "axed." This soap opera has been "axed" from the tv schedules etc. I'm sure in the world of HR nobody has received a redundancy letter saying, " Dear X, Due to external pressures on the business your position is to be axed." It has a certain brutality to it!

I was 31 when I had my first child, that was in 1977 and I was referred to as a 'prima-gravida'. Past a certain age one is considered to be old for a first pregnancy. So the phrase prima gravida has been around a long time !

I did my nurse training in 1985 and we were taught these terms in obstetrics. I don't think it was anything new at that time either but I don't know if the terms were American or originate in the UK.

Inge x

There's nothing new about Latin! It's been around for years. I think that the world of medicine was, and still is, considered a "higher intelligence" field and such fields have traditionally been associated with Latin. Also it avoids confusion that can occur from different languages that express things in different ways. That said, I'm not sure it's necessary in all areas of higher education. I remember at uni when I had to do a viva voce. I didn't have a clue what that was when I first heard that term! Some academics are just pretentious, especially philosophy teachers! What a useless subject! Who ever looks up a philosopher in The Yellow Pages because they are in desparate need of one?"

I was 31 when I had my first child, that was in 1977 and I was referred to as a 'prima-gravida'. Past a certain age one is considered to be old for a first pregnancy. So the phrase prima gravida has been around a long time !

I remember these terms being used in the 70/80's and got the impression that they had been around for a long time then.

Probably not used now.

They weren't around in the 50's and 60's when my Mum had my brothers !!! and I can't EVER remember any of my friends who gave birth in the late 60's early 70's using the word 'Trimester'.

Gosh, trimester has been around for decades and in use by the 'common' folk, nothing confusing about that term. It's an easy one to use even by lay people.

Hilly is lovely isn't she? Very calming to watch an very attractive she looks like someone I kno, Jilly is a welcome change from the shouty pencil Thin hyper active presenters I could watch her and Alison Keenan all day.

So it's not okay to talk about someone gaining weight but it's okay for you to take yet another swipe at thin women? Just to clarify I don't think one any different than the other. Disliking a presenter because they are "pencil thin" is not a reason for dislike. Some people are naturally thin, and even if they aren't so what? Dislike the way they present sure, but yor comment isn't any better than the one about Jilly.

I like Jilly and think she is a very attractive lady. She is a good presenter too. Even thouugh she is a larger dress size than CH yet unlike Catherine, Jilly isn't always moaning about her weight she just gets on with the job she is paid to do. And doesn't make everything about herself. Presenters aren't models, it doesn't matter what their weight is, they are paid to sell. Yes they should try and look tidy and presentable, but their shape/size shouldn't be an issue.

ok i am sorry i asked this question now i wasn't being critical just curious i didnt realise Jilly was 51 she doesn't look her age The top she was wearing that evening obviously accentuated her middle but she looked lovely blooming even thats what made me have the thought.Watched her last night and she looked different so obviously it was the outfit that was the problem.I like Jilly i think she is one of the better presenters as she doesn't come across as pushy and lets the guests speak.As a woman who ha always had confidence issues i would never criticise anyones size or shape you are who you are.Sorry Jilly and everyone else if i offended anyone

Seasiders, don't take the flak too seriously. It's what happens on internet forums - you make a comment or ask a question you think is inoffensive and what happens? It offends someone, depending on what particular bee happens to be buzzing in their bonnet at the time - it might be weight, it might be animal treatment, it might be fashion - EVERYTHING is potentially offensive. You learn to develop immunity, so please don't stop posting because some people here took your harmless opening post as offensive. We're all different and we all have different issues, which is what makes a forum like this so interesting. There are always going to be rows/differences/opinions and everyone's entitled to have their say. Expect someone somewhere to be offended by your post and you'll be fine!

Now who's going to be offended by this? Please form an orderly queue.

jilly is not may fav presenter I find her a tad boring but on the looks side no-one scrubs up better than jilly halliday when there have been occasions to really dress up. she has a lovely colouring and beautiful hair. also she just seems to dress "for work" with baggy clothes etc but put her in a ballgown and no-one looks better.
she may have issues with her weight but I bet in real life she looks slimmer all the presenters look bigger on air

Keep posting Seasiders (am I right in thinking you're BFC fan? :mysmilie_59: ) Anything that prompts a discussion is fine with me.

ok i am sorry i asked this question now i wasn't being critical just curious i didnt realise Jilly was 51 she doesn't look her age The top she was wearing that evening obviously accentuated her middle but she looked lovely blooming even thats what made me have the thought.Watched her last night and she looked different so obviously it was the outfit that was the problem.I like Jilly i think she is one of the better presenters as she doesn't come across as pushy and lets the guests speak.As a woman who ha always had confidence issues i would never criticise anyones size or shape you are who you are.Sorry Jilly and everyone else if i offended anyone
. I am a newcomer to this forum and would be upset if I thought I'd offended anyone (apart from some presenters ) but they choose to be in the public eye so should expect to be scrutinised.you comment wasn't maliciious I too thought Jilly was pregnant but that was over a year ago. I do like Jilly she's easy to watch and not full of her own importance! Don't forget most of them are failed actors writers dancers etc. so it's in their nature to be a bit OTT!:mysmilie_8:

Jilly has always been, and still is, one of my favourite presenters. The kind of person you would like serving you in a shop.

Latest posts

Back