Julia Roberts In The Daily Mail

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Yes, you're correct Sazza. If your skin came up in little red lumps, then you had to have the jab
It's all coming back to me now - the mark from the actual needle is still slightly visible today (perhaps I should try Prolegene Gel on it :grin:)

It still baffles me as to why "celebs" feel the need to share their medical conditions with the wider public. Giving it "public awareness" is no excuse as far as I'm concerned. If I'm honest I really don't want to know who's got what and what treatment they are having, - I'm not interested. It should be between them and their families. But sadly, the media are always hungry for a celebrity to be "BATTLING" some medical issue or other, and what do we do ? we say oh dear that's sad, and turn to the next page, totally indifferent.

My friend who recently died of cancer, says nobody 'battles' cancer, or any other disease, you go with the flow of the medication you are given and hope for the best - and that's the best answer I have ever heard.

I had the full TB jab at school. The high school multi-point test was looking for contra-indications to the full jab, it didn't show a pre-existing immunity to TB (a common misconception) just a scarring reaction.

I was at college with a girl who was diagnosed later with TB and I was called for a chest X-ray. I queried why this was needed but was told I might not have complete immunity to all stains of TB, in spite of having the jab.

It's very likely army babies were vaccinated, depending where they and their family were posted.

I too have the round white scar on my upper arm. My mother told me it was the result of a jab to protect against diphtheria. I could be wrong but has anyone else been told this?

It still baffles me as to why "celebs" feel the need to share their medical conditions with the wider public. Giving it "public awareness" is no excuse as far as I'm concerned. If I'm honest I really don't want to know who's got what and what treatment they are having, - I'm not interested. It should be between them and their families. But sadly, the media are always hungry for a celebrity to be "BATTLING" some medical issue or other, and what do we do ? we say oh dear that's sad, and turn to the next page, totally indifferent.

My friend who recently died of cancer, says nobody 'battles' cancer, or any other disease, you go with the flow of the medication you are given and hope for the best - and that's the best answer I have ever heard.

I have to partly disagree. I feel that the more 'well known people' of our society can only help by recalling their stories and situations. Reading what someone else is going through could trigger a realization that some of the symptoms are what they have and it could be beneficial in getting them to seek medical help.

People have sought medical help when realizing their early symptoms are the same as others they have read about.

I for one was very interested to read about this secondary condition that could be triggered by having had polio early in life, I had never heard of it before and I'm sure, had I been unfortunate to have suffered from something like this it could only be helpful knowledge to have.

I think the term 'battling against' is just a way of saying they are not going to give up and will think positively that they will not let this illness defeat them or give themselves over to it.

I'm very sorry that you lost a friend to cancer recently, its an awfully sad thing to have happened. I too lost a friend a number of years ago to cancer and still miss her.

I think sometimes the public can draw strength or comfort and inspiration from celebs who share there health worries...Jade Goodie helped many women go forward with a smear test for the cervix but were possibly reluctant to before ...obviously this cant be proved but the statistics showed around her passing that requests went up sharply..x

Latest posts

Back