Julia Roberts In The Daily Mail

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Poor woman. I'm not her number one fan but she seems to be having a lot of health concerns of late.

this is a rotten blow for Julia...lets hope any new treatments can ease her symptoms...her family must be nervous for her with her other diagnosis too.... show we should count our blessings whenever we can as recent events have taught my family lately x

I remember taking some weird kind of vaccine thing as a child. I think it was for polio but I can't remember. What I do remember is that it wasn't an injection. It was some kind of serum that was soaked into a sugar lump. All I had to do was swallow the sugar lump!

I remember taking some weird kind of vaccine thing as a child. I think it was for polio but I can't remember. What I do remember is that it wasn't an injection. It was some kind of serum that was soaked into a sugar lump. All I had to do was swallow the sugar lump!

I remember that Julius when was this vaccine started polio was one of the biggest breakthroughs

I remember having that too.

when was the polio immunisation introduced any one know. I am 51 this year and I had the sugar lump

I had to get a updated Polio thing years back. Trust me there is a reason they put it on sugar lumps for kids. Totally vile taste.

PBS channel sometimes repeats a documentary about Polio and the fight against it. A man called Salt created the first vaccine which was an injection.

when was the polio immunisation introduced any one know. I am 51 this year and I had the sugar lump

The immunisation programme was introduced in 1956.

I thought it odd in article that she says she has not had her GP confirm post polio syndrome, so it is speculation that she has it.

I thought it odd in article that she says she has not had her GP confirm post polio syndrome, so it is speculation that she has it.

I thought that was strange too, surely you would get it checked out so you knew one way or the other. It seems odd that this article has been published when she hasn't actually had a diagnosis to confirm she has the condition.

I think if you reach a "certain" age WITHOUT having any health issues, ie... mental health problems, eating disorders, auto-immune diseases, cancer, then you can count yourself extremely fortunate. I personally don't know anyone in my circle of friends who has had an illness free life. But we all punch on, make the best of it, and get on with life.

The old polio vaccine,the one given on a sugar cube, was a live one, and caused problems in some of the families I was involved with (as a health visitor) because occasionally an older family member wouldn't be covered and would get exposed to the virus through changing the child's nappy. I saw 3 elderly people and one unvaccinated sibling contract polio that way. Nowadays of course (since 2004) we have gone back to using IPV (inactivated vaccine) which is given as one of the cocktail of jabs they give babies. Unfortunately it doesn't protect against wild polio virus, there is no 'herd immunity' effect anditmismoiley we will see slightly more cases, especially given our penchant for international travel.

I too remember the sugar lump along with something called a BCG - it wasn't so much a needle, more like an impint of five or six pricks on the inner part of your bicep - it looked a bit like connection point for a computer perhipheral and took ages for the marks to disappear.

I am old enough to remember when the controversial vaccine became available back in the mid 50's. There was huge press coverage about whether the polio vaccine would immunise you OR gave you polio. I remember my parents being in a terrible quandary as to whether or not I should be vaccinated. In the end, because all the kids in my class were having the injection (no sugar lumps then), then they bit the bullet and let me have it - providing I had it in my thigh - purely because there were injections around that left a white mark on the fleshy part of the upper arm. I'm sure lots of ladies in my age group will know what I refer to !

I wonder if Julia got the jab she would have been old enough maybe it made or ill or her mum did not want to risk

I too remember the sugar lump along with something called a BCG - it wasn't so much a needle, more like an impint of five or six pricks on the inner part of your bicep - it looked a bit like connection point for a computer perhipheral and took ages for the marks to disappear.

That is not the BCG as I recall. You had a skin test with it which determined if you need the BCG vaccination or not.

That is not the BCG as I recall. You had a skin test with it which determined if you need the BCG vaccination or not.

Yes, you're correct Sazza. If your skin came up in little red lumps, then you had to have the jab

I remember the bcg test...I was lucky myself and another school friend didnt have to have the big jab...ours skin test stayed lumpy lol ....everybody else was smacking their hands to try and keep the red lumps ...lol...I was jammy but i think it was due to being an army baby and having the jab then maybe...I had to have a chest X-ray as this was the procedure then...I was very lucky i know ...and have been very lucky with my health so far ...I don't drink or smoke ...(did smoke for a while as a teenager though). I try to watch the old diet..choccy being my absolute weakness...I am really rooting for Julia...no matter what people think of her its a stressful time all round for her and family...x

I thought that was a very good article (in The Mail). I would like to wish Julia well and good health for the future.

Latest posts

Back