Legless ....?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'm sure this has been noted before but I am quite new to QVC .... why is is always you can match this with a trainer, boot, sandal, trouser ... it makes me laugh .. does it cost more for a pair, or just fashion speak to add 'gravitas' ...
I think they think it gives their shows a veneer of high fashion knowledge. It sounds ridiculous, given that most of Q fashion is hopelessly out of step with actual fashion.
This is not America where many have no access to fashion retail in their hometowns.

Mind you I couldn't do any better. I think my presentation would go something like this. Oh this is a nice top and in pretty colours would look nice with jeans. That's it that's all I've got folks! 🤣
.......no call back for me!

I’d like to see Glen match back to whatever he did in a previous life. Don’t mind the guy, just can’t listen to the pointless gabbling.
I can’t take him seriously having seen him and the cheesy model poses he does!

He popped up the John Lewis website the other day in a real “Man at C&A” type pose - and looked so pleased with himself! - it was v cringey!
He’s often in the Guardian fashion pages too - or he was...

I also finds him mutters under his breath a lot on air and tries a bit too hard?

Think he knows he stuff though and has had or did have a shop or shops for many years?

I'm sure this has been noted before but I am quite new to QVC .... why is is always you can match this with a trainer, boot, sandal, trouser ... it makes me laugh .. does it cost more for a pair, or just fashion speak to add 'gravitas' ...
Sadly not confined to QVC nor that new either - but very annoying!

Apparently it’s referred to as the “fashion singular”.

It may have originated in America, but it’s been in evidence over here for a good 12+ years! In fact I remember terms such “a flat shoe” and “the smoky eye” being used even before that!

I found a quote from The Independent in 2009 which reads:

“after a month of catwalking, we've lapsed into the fashion singular: 'a boot' rather than boots and 'a jean' rather than jeans."

Saw this the other day - and just made me think of it...!

Attachments

• B69D9A06-9472-475F-A0EA-10C1F7B01BF1.png
    B69D9A06-9472-475F-A0EA-10C1F7B01BF1.png
    92.2 KB · Views: 73
I always thought that the 's' on the word endings didn't sound good on their sound system.... that it whistled through their teeth and so they were encouraged to use the singular. However, I now think it's as other people say... QVC fashion speak. But, JF's teeth often cause quite shrill whistles.

I can’t take him seriously having seen him and the cheesy model poses he does!

He popped up the John Lewis website the other day in a real “Man at C&A” type pose - and looked so pleased with himself! - it was v cringey!
He’s often in the Guardian fashion pages too - or he was...

I also finds him mutters under his breath a lot on air and tries a bit too hard?

Think he knows he stuff though and has had or did have a shop or shops for many years?
Yes, he knows his stuff after being in the fashion industry for decades, as well he should. His presentation skill is grim, though. He speaks so quickly that his mouth gets dry and he has to swallow deeply at the end of each monologue. He's got a nasty habit of flicking the end of his nose as well, and his attempts at humour, along with poses or mimes are simply silly. He's probably got the perfectly proportioned body of a model and I'm glad he's got lots of photography work.

.......no call back for me!
It must be difficult to talk for an hour about products you don't necessarily like and still appear enthusiastic. I'm not convinced by the male presenters comments on fashions, in particular. They are following a script, and it's obvious they don't give a rat's ars..e about women's clothes.

I hadn’t noticed all those delights, Grizelda. Will never be able to watch now. It’s bad enough trying to be cool in ankle grazers and no socks when you’re approaching your pension. Pretty horrid on a man at any age.
Aren’t all the presenters phoney though? Patrick is very cheesy but I find him much more watchable than Glen. He’s a good model and that’s where it should stop.

I always thought that the 's' on the word endings didn't sound good on their sound system.... that it whistled through their teeth and so they were encouraged to use the singular. However, I now think it's as other people say... QVC fashion speak. But, JF's teeth often cause quite shrill whistles.
JF causes shrill whistles to go off in my head.

I hadn’t noticed all those delights, Grizelda. Will never be able to watch now. It’s bad enough trying to be cool in ankle grazers and no socks when you’re approaching your pension. Pretty horrid on a man at any age.
Aren’t all the presenters phoney though? Patrick is very cheesy but I find him much more watchable than Glen. He’s a good model and that’s where it should stop.
Yes, I find Patrick cheesy too. He's just so nice that it hurts and he's always dragging his mother into his conversation as if that would be the clincher for us to buy. If I had to choose, I'd listen to him over Glen, though.

Latest posts

Back