Leighton Denny TSV / Beauty Day - 18/04/10

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I find LD polishes chip really easily. The colours maybe lovely but not worth it as you need to repaint so often.

OPI and Essie are the two brands I really rate, infact I go to ebay US far cheaper there,:up:

Treatment wise I love Trind. I have used LD treatments too but prefer Trind.

:giggle:

As a newbie (poster...not lurker), I hope I've used that phrase in the right context! :giggle:

OK have just checked out my nail polish drawer and I have at least 90 colours, most of which are OPI, how many does a girl need?!?!? Someone stop me from buying the TSV!! I would only use 3 colours in each kit (don't like the white/nude one or the dark red) so before I do it............. help!! Someone give me a good reason not to buy the s*dding thing!!

Go and paint your nails in the similar colours you already have in your collection. That will make you NOT tempted to buy.

Luckily I am not tempted as have similar shades already and like you I too have lots of OIP, LD, Nails Inc. etc etc :wink:

I know I've said on the LD TSV thread that I like LD polishes - I really do, think they're glossy and have the same staying power as OPI - however I think that OPI do kick him into touch when it comes to being daring with their colours. If you feel that you need safe colours then I'd say go for the LD ones but if you own similar ones why bother?

I'm not going to watch I don't think - the photos of the colours (and indeed the ones in his new collection) have not grabbed me at all. I am however hankering after the full sizes of most of the OPI Alice in Wonderland collection. Managed to get the minis in a swap on makeupalley.com and am in love with Mad as a Hatter and Off with her Red so would prefer to buy these rather than the LD ones.

I find LD polishes chip really easily. The colours maybe lovely but not worth it as you need to repaint so often.

OPI and Essie are the two brands I really rate, infact I go to ebay US far cheaper there,:up:

Treatment wise I love Trind. I have used LD treatments too but prefer Trind.

I've been wanting to try Trind for ages but it seems quite difficult to find. Just Beauty Direct have been out of stock of it for ages :sad:

Go and paint your nails in the similar colours you already have in your collection. That will make you NOT tempted to buy.

Luckily I am not tempted as have similar shades already and like you I too have lots of OIP, LD, Nails Inc. etc etc :wink:

Beading I feel faint. Is that really you or someone doing an impression of me.
Carry on the good work.:clapping::clapping::clapping:

I've been wanting to try Trind for ages but it seems quite difficult to find. Just Beauty Direct have been out of stock of it for ages :sad:

I have just had a look online at Trind. It sounds interesting, was thinking of trying LD renovate system is Trind better?

I have bought the LD Art Deco set and I am seriously thinking about the TSV. All nail polish only last a couple of days on me. If I don't chip it, I don't like even the slightest tip wear so I remove it. (I'm only OCD about nail polish)

I don't know if LD is particularly bad as I have only got his French set and none of his colours. And frenchs always last for max of a day (or an evening) before I chip a nail even when its done by pros.

I have bought the LD Art Deco set and I am seriously thinking about the TSV. All nail polish only last a couple of days on me. If I don't chip it, I don't like even the slightest tip wear so I remove it. (I'm only OCD about nail polish)

I don't know if LD is particularly bad as I have only got his French set and none of his colours. And frenchs always last for max of a day (or an evening) before I chip a nail even when its done by pros.

I'm just the same, both OCD and nails wise! When Leighton Denny or the women from OPI or Nails Inc say that a manicure with their products lasts for up to a week I scoff! I too hate even the slightest chip or wear so I know I'm picky but still, the most I get out of a polish - even when I do proper preparation beforehand - is around 48 hours. I'm always astonished when people call in trying to beat the record for having a polish not chip, claiming they wore the same coat of Rebel for three years etc. Surely they can't ever wash up/open a letter? Obviously the solution is for me to get a 'lady that does'...

I too fancy the Art Deco set and not just because it's my fave era (hence the STF name). I do think Leighton's colours are fabulous.

I have just had a look online at Trind. It sounds interesting, was thinking of trying LD renovate system is Trind better?

I have dehydrated nails so need moisture not really strengthing, so Trind balsams are what works for me the best.

I don't wear polish on my hands but on my toes, so it has to survive socks and shoes or boots. I get a good two weeks wear from Essie, but I use their base and top coat. They don't animal test which was one of the main reasons I first tried them.

I'm just the same, both OCD and nails wise! When Leighton Denny or the women from OPI or Nails Inc say that a manicure with their products lasts for up to a week I scoff! I too hate even the slightest chip or wear so I know I'm picky but still, the most I get out of a polish - even when I do proper preparation beforehand - is around 48 hours. I'm always astonished when people call in trying to beat the record for having a polish not chip, claiming they wore the same coat of Rebel for three years etc. Surely they can't ever wash up/open a letter? Obviously the solution is for me to get a 'lady that does'...

I too fancy the Art Deco set and not just because it's my fave era (hence the STF name). I do think Leighton's colours are fabulous.

I'm glad it's not just me that's like this. I can never get polish to last more than 48 hours, and like you guys the slightest chip or wear in it, the whole lot has to come off and be redone. I usually stick to pale colours for this reason alone. I have never had a Leighton Denny polish that has lasted longer than 12 hours without a chip - and most times the whole nail colour has peeled off in a one-y.

However, I had a small breakthrough this last week. I used an OPI polish with Essie 3 Way Glaze as base and top coat and my manicure lasted the best part of 72 hours without budging. This for me is a record:tongue: even with my epic handwashing, cleaning and checking episodes (I do actually suffer from OCD:sad:)

I'm glad it's not just me that's like this. I can never get polish to last more than 48 hours, and like you guys the slightest chip or wear in it, the whole lot has to come off and be redone. I usually stick to pale colours for this reason alone. I have never had a Leighton Denny polish that has lasted longer than 12 hours without a chip - and most times the whole nail colour has peeled off in a one-y.

However, I had a small breakthrough this last week. I used an OPI polish with Essie 3 Way Glaze as base and top coat and my manicure lasted the best part of 72 hours without budging. This for me is a record:tongue: even with my epic handwashing, cleaning and checking episodes (I do actually suffer from OCD:sad:)

Have to confess to OCD in the handwashing and checking departments (especially the gas) but not in the cleaning area sadly which is why my house moves ever closer to being condemned :tongue: Thanks for the tip re: Essie, might try that. It's got to the stage where I've stopped buying nail polishes which is a shame cos I do find they give me a great confidence boost. I really fancy LD's You're Nicked duo.

PS: An Audience with Victoria Wood was on ITV3 one evening last week so OH and I were treated once more to the whole 'Sacharelle' routine. I'd forgotten that in that seasons make-up trends "eyes were poppin' out while lips were receding". Sounds like Alison Young...

I think I wasn't clear. I don't suffer from OCD. I just am very super fussy on a few things like nail polish and sweets. (I get all the sweets out of a packet sort the out so there are in full set (one of each colour/type) and then eat the odd ones like with smarties you always get loads of pink ones so I eat all the surplus ones and then I eat the start eating the rest of the sweets in sets! I know its a bit odd and I do get some light teasing from friends and family. But I don't have to do it., I prefer to do it that way but if I'm not at home I don't do it.

I didn't mean to be flippant about people who really have OCD and shouldn't really describe my idiosyncratic behavior in that way. Unfortunately I don't have enough money to be called eccentric. I do know that it can be extremely upsetting and frustrating for the suffers of OCD and their families. No offense was meant. I just use it because people think I am obsessive because I change my nail polish for the slightest chip or wear. Sorry.

I just really dislike it, I personally think it looks worse to wear chipped, nails with tip wear or badly applied nail poilsh. I would prefer to to wear no nail polish than the above. That was why for years I didn't wear nail polish very often as I couldn't paint my right hand well enough for my personal preference and couldn't go to have my nails done regularly.

It was after discovering LD crystal nail files (also couldn't file them tidy with an emery board) and his Corrector fluid and brush along with a proper cuticle nipper (I suffer from hang nails) meant that after a couple of hours patience and effort I had a manicure that even I was happy with. I'm a bit quicker now, I can do it in about an hour

Well I didn't look back. I now have close to 100 and would have hundreds more if I had my way! I have been good and not bought any in ages as alot of the 'new season colours' I actually already have the same colour or a very similar colour. I also am not really fussed on reds, pinks and purples which are the majority of any new collections. I will try the Essie 3 way glaze top coat. One of my most beloved polishes is an Essie one (I have many polishes but only 5 Essie ones) is Starry Starry Night. I bought it from Harrods as it was the only place left that had any stock as it had been discontinued! It cost double what a normal one cost. But it was worth every penny. Out of all of my many polishes I really love that one.:heart::heart:

P.S. I like Art Deco era and Victoria Wood

Last edited:
I'm the same with lacquers and try to get about three days out of one application. I usually end up adding more coats when I get "tipwear". Even manicures done professionally do not last that long on me.

I think I wasn't clear. I don't suffer from OCD. I just am very super fussy on a few things like nail polish and sweets. (I get all the sweets out of a packet sort the out so there are in full set (one of each colour/type) and then eat the odd ones like with smarties you always get loads of pink ones so I eat all the surplus ones and then I eat the start eating the rest of the sweets in sets! I know its a bit odd and I do get some light teasing from friends and family. But I don't have to do it., I prefer to do it that way but if I'm not at home I don't do it.

I didn't mean to be flippant about people who really have OCD and shouldn't really describe my idiosyncratic behavior in that way. Unfortunately I don't have enough money to be called eccentric. I do know that it can be extremely upsetting and frustrating for the suffers of OCD and their families. No offense was meant. I just use it because people think I am obsessive because I change my nail polish for the slightest chip or wear. Sorry.

I just really dislike it, I personally think it looks worse to wear chipped, nails with tip wear or badly applied nail poilsh. I would prefer to to wear no nail polish than the above. That was why for years I didn't wear nail polish very often as I couldn't paint my right hand well enough for my personal preference and couldn't go to have my nails done regularly.

It was after discovering LD crystal nail files (also couldn't file them tidy with an emery board) and his Corrector fluid and brush along with a proper cuticle nipper (I suffer from hang nails) meant that after a couple of hours patience and effort I had a manicure that even I was happy with. I'm a bit quicker now, I can do it in about an hour

Well I didn't look back. I now have close to 100 and would have hundreds more if I had my way! I have been good and not bought any in ages as alot of the 'new season colours' I actually already have the same colour or a very similar colour. I also am not really fussed on reds, pinks and purples which are the majority of any new collections. I will try the Essie 3 way glaze top coat. One of my most beloved polishes is an Essie one (I have many polishes but only 5 Essie ones) is Starry Starry Night. I bought it from Harrods as it was the only place left that had any stock as it had been discontinued! It cost double what a normal one cost. But it was worth every penny. Out of all of my many polishes I really love that one.:heart::heart:

Hey, lovey - I didn't think for one minute you were being flippant at all, so please don't worry :hi: . I actually totally agree, I would rather have naked nails than wear chipped polish, the minute it chips it's all got to come off, even if it's one tiny corner of one nail. I keep meaning to invest in the crystal nail files as I think a lot of my problems with my nails come from using the wrong type of file.

I really really rate this Essie Glaze so far, it maybe isn't as quick drying as say the Nails Inc one, but for me that's no matter. It makes my OPI polish last 24 hours longer so that's got to be good - and I get it from e-bay or Feel Unique (the latter don't charge any postage or packing)

:angel::flower::angel::hi:

No worries from me either. Thought your post was hilarious, really made me chuckle, especially the bit about not having enough money to be considered eccentric, will use that line myself (if I may!) I laugh at my OCD, which isn't that serious I guess, everything's relative, and laughing about it makes it easier to handle when it does happen.

I restrained from any nail related purchases yesterday, so I think Loveheart (if I've got the right person, not been on here long) will be very pleased that already I'm farting away. However may try Essie - thanks Cavegirl for the tips - if I go back to my box of polishes soon. I'd defo recommend the crystal files, think it's been mentioned on here before but they are now on sale in single form in Boots for £10 I believe, well worth every penny. :happy:

Latest posts

Back