Lies, damn lies, and sit-up tv

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I have just submitted my complaint to the ASA over this matter. I am just about sick and tired of seeing people lied to by this outfit!

Well done Radio-dayz - I'm used to just the presenters lying about the products, but to now be lying in the on screen graphics as well is just outrageous. How shady is this channel??

Oh noes!

Come on, Katbaker: where's your impassioned defence of this? :headbang:

Adam does not seem like the type of lad to lie so obviously. I am sure they made a mistake. Unfortunatly they have crossed the lines so many times nobody will ever believe it is an honest mistake. And I understand why. But I believe not even BID UP TV would be so blatant as to do this on purpose.

But any way you think I work for them so what does it matter?

There are some good people who work there and are being tarnished by the bad. You are fighting to close them down so that every body loses their jobs. People with families who have done nothing wrong. Is this correct? Is it fair? Is it right?

Do you know how many people work there? I think that it is 1000's. Behind the scenes. Clinging to a job in an environment that has so very few jobs available. Maybe you should be trying to make them better not trying to mske them disappear?

Kat xxx

Adam does not seem like the type of lad to lie so obviously. I am sure they made a mistake. Unfortunatly they have crossed the lines so many times nobody will ever believe it is an honest mistake. And I understand why. But I believe not even BID UP TV would be so blatant as to do this on purpose.

There are some good people who work there and are being tarnished by the bad. You are fighting to close them down so that every body loses their jobs. People with families who have done nothing wrong. Is this correct? Is it fair? Is it right?

Do you know how many people work there? I think that it is 1000's. Behind the scenes. Clinging to a job in an environment that has so very few jobs available. Maybe you should be trying to make them better not trying to mske them disappear?

Kat xxx

Well Kat if they've got that many people working for them you'd have thought the presentations should be honest & polished then wouldn't you?
I remember years ago when Bid was in a different league to where they are now. OK a bit hit & miss & cringy at times back then but they had some really good original items. The fact remains that some poor innocent people are having their money fleeced from them by buying items under false pretences which is clearly not fair or right. I don't know about you but I work damn hard for my wage & if I continually made blatant cock ups like this I'd fully expect to be out of a job! & Don't you think it's rather "odd" that the "mistakes" are always in Bid's favour?? I mean when have you seen them sell sterling silver as stainless steel or a solid opal as a triplet? Nope, it's always the other way around, how convenient for them!

Oh & if they listened to us, the voice of the honest viewers & took heed they wouldn't still be in this position would they!

Last edited:
If a company is working against regulations of course it is right. I suggest these 'good people who work there ' find jobs with companies who do not scam their customers.

All sit-up need to do is clean up their act and stop conning people. In only the past few minutes, I've seen Peter Simon selling an Aquaswiss watch. He was saying it was worth £2,000 and to get it at £900 would be a bargain then when the price dropped tp £695 it was at a clearance price. I have never seen it sell on the channel for more than around £450. Even at that price, it is grossly over priced, for what is in fact only an internet available fashion watch.

In the end, he only managed to shift 2 of the 9 watches for £595. Hardly a clearance price!

Here is the link to the watch on bid's web site. The description of the watch on the site says it is 18ct gold plated. Simon said it's 24ct.

http://store.bid.tv/bidtv/Aquaswiss...ss-Steel-Strap/WB130008/ProductDetail.raction

Last edited:

Kat xxx

Kat,

Whilst I'm certain there are decent and genuine people who work for Bid... the writing has been on the wall for a while due to the management/*some* of the presenters who have brought the station to the gutter...

Kat xxx

Hello KatB! So, amongst your talents you're telepathic? You know why I post on here?

You are amazing. Bid are so lucky to have you unfailingly rush to their defence.

But I do wish you had re-read this message without posting it, as it is very confusing.

You state that there are 1000s of good people working for Bid. That is remarkable indeed.

But you also state that they have unfortunately crossed lines so many times. Does THAT sound like the work of "good people" to you?

If someone cannot or will not learn from their mistakes, then does that make them "bad"? Because it's looking to me like Bid will not learn that it is wrong to swindle people out of what little money they may have.

I am sorry if you are happy for Bid to continue to do this.

The ASA seem to listen much closer to complaints now than what they did last year. Last year they seemed to only look into really breaching complaints, while they listen about every little thing now. I imagine many more people are complaining, and they really do want to get to the bottom of it.

"Dear Mr XYZ,

Thank you for contacting the ASA regarding certain presentations on Bid TV and Price Drop TV with case references: A12-214443; A12-214503; A12-214573; A12-214780 and A12-215021.

Just to let you know that we’re still assessing the issues you raise and will be in touch again when there is further information. You should hear from either myself or one of my colleagues shortly.

Thank you for your continued patience.

Kind regards,

David Humber"

The more people who conplain, and the more times the ASA have to contact bid and see the footage the more they will take notice. If you see anything which is misleading please do report it.

The ASA seem to listen much closer to complaints now than what they did last year. Last year they seemed to only look into really breaching complaints, while they listen about every little thing now. I imagine many more people are complaining, and they really do want to get to the bottom of it.

"Dear Mr XYZ,

Thank you for contacting the ASA regarding certain presentations on Bid TV and Price Drop TV with case references: A12-214443; A12-214503; A12-214573; A12-214780 and A12-215021.

Just to let you know that we’re still assessing the issues you raise and will be in touch again when there is further information. You should hear from either myself or one of my colleagues shortly.

Thank you for your continued patience.

Kind regards,

David Humber"

The more people who conplain, and the more times the ASA have to contact bid and see the footage the more they will take notice. If you see anything which is misleading please do report it.

Careful there! You do know that you could be putting millions of potential saints out of work? :wait:

Careful there! You do know that you could be putting millions of potential saints out of work? :wait:

But also helping their "8.5 million customers" get better bargains (on the high street)! Aren't bid always saying about getting bargains? Well when they are shut down, they will be getting true bargains! lol

But also helping their "8.5 million customers" get better bargains (on the high street)! Aren't bid always saying about getting bargains? Well when they are shut down, they will be getting true bargains! lol

Considering the kind of stuff they're selling now, then yes I agree.

I miss the days where you could find some decent stuff on Bid, and the presenters looked like they were having fun.

I used to like watching for things like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd8OHr0rnxI

and now apparently to bid, we like being lied to, as we find it entertaining! :L Why would anyone watch for entertainment now?

Surely the majority of people who bought didn't intend in buying, but did as it was part of the entertainment. Now they just have to lie to the viewers without a care of their customers.

Kat xxx

I've said it before many times, and I'll say it again. I'd hate to see them close down. I'm a good customer and can say I've been happy with MOST of the things I've bought from them. I feel, however, you have to look harder these days for the good stuff. There's too many exclusive and unknown brands as well, and they're pretty hit and miss imo Eg, Tommy and Kate, London treasures jewellery, appalling quality, wheras things with the Elegance label, and the Cristallina jewellery range is brilliant. Back in the day,I used to see these channels as a good place to buy ends of ranges and bankrupt stock at a bargain price, these days it's where I'll go when I can't be arsed to queue in Poundstretcher, or savers.

I think the majority of the folk on here would like to see the channels clean up their act....and that will mean stop exaggerating prices, making up stories about the origins of some of the "brands",
completely mis selling items, Eg, selling a cheap cubic zirconia as if it's a diamond, gold plate as solid gold, the list goes on! They need to be more up front about the extra charges, how dare they tell the viewers (some who are going to be vulnerable and alone) that they'll be parting with 5p when in reality they'll be charged £41.53, a seriously bad practice.

Yes it would be sad if loads of people lost their jobs, especially those who are beavering away in the background, if they lose their jobs it's not our fault, it'll be that of the producers and the some of the gobshite presenters. All we want to see is fair play....and if they can't play fair, then they shouldn't be on air!!!!

Yes it would be sad if loads of people lost their jobs, especially those who are beavering away in the background, if they lose their jobs it's not our fault, it'll be that of the producers and the some of the gobshite presenters. All we want to see is fair play....and if they can't play fair, then they shouldn't be on air!!!!
What gets me is that with all the recent retail misery there should (sadly) be much more in the way of genuine bankrupt clearance stock available for them to shift, though I suspect that most of it goes to eBay nowadays.

Don't know exactly how many people work at the channels, but it can't be that many because management apparently personally author the descriptions that appear on-screen for each product, meaning that it's run as a very tight ship from a manning point of view. Plus we shouldn't lose sleep over causing the Sit-up channels to close down; there are plenty of reputable retailers on the high street that are struggling this Christmas and they employ many more people compared to Sit-up, and the only people who I feel sorry for at the channels are the technicians who work behind the scenes.

Latest posts

Back