Lounge wear

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I remember having a copy of Mrs Beeton's Household Management. She maintained that you get dressed first thing in the morning, got changed for your daily shopping trip (that's if you didn't have a person to do it for you), had a change of clothes for afternoon tea - ah, so that's what a tea dress was. Of course, you should always change, tart yourself up and have a big smile for when hubby arrives home.

I remember having a copy of Mrs Beeton's Household Management. She maintained that you get dressed first thing in the morning, got changed for your daily shopping trip (that's if you didn't have a person to do it for you), had a change of clothes for afternoon tea - ah, so that's what a tea dress was. Of course, you should always change, tart yourself up and have a big smile for when hubby arrives home.

And that was in the days of no washing machines, so the whole washing routine used to take most of the week from washing to ironing... great if you had an army of servants, but if you didn't... impossible!

Mind you - I dare say most of the dresses didn't get washed but merely spot-treated for any stains.

Not forgetting the clean penny on a Friday....:mysmilie_17:

My trousers and tee shirts, informal tops etc go through 3 stages.

1. Smart casual for nipping to the supermarket/garden centre
2. Indoor for housework and 'lounging'
3. Outside for gardening, sorting the rubbish and recycling bins and disinfecting
The cat's litter trays.

Actually there is a 4th stage - the bin

I have some Papaya from Matalan jogging trousers for use inside, jeans and tops for most other times. I wear dresses and skirts on holidays only and crop trousers and long shorts in the summer, shorts for holidays and in the garden and crop trousers for going out. I am afraid I am very smart casual in my clothes.

Latest posts

Back