Lulu Guinness

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
Has anyone who has bought a LG bag had this problem ?..... having a 'sort out' of my wardrobe, I've noticed that both a red patent leather bag and a black patent leather bag, have deteriorated badly around the metal (opening/closing) frame. The covering has gone sticky in places, and it seems that the covering is 'rubberised' which has disintegrated into a sticky mass. My bags are neither subjected to heat and certainly not in direct sunlight - being on the top shelf of the wardrobe, but considering the price of these bags - and yes they may be between 8 and 10 years old, but nevertheless.

I would like to know if anyone has experienced this, and will be writing direct to LG to ask for an explanation.

Has anyone who has bought a LG bag had this problem ?..... having a 'sort out' of my wardrobe, I've noticed that both a red patent leather bag and a black patent leather bag, have deteriorated badly around the metal (opening/closing) frame. The covering has gone sticky in places, and it seems that the covering is 'rubberised' which has disintegrated into a sticky mass. My bags are neither subjected to heat and certainly not in direct sunlight - being on the top shelf of the wardrobe, but considering the price of these bags - and yes they may be between 8 and 10 years old, but nevertheless.

I would like to know if anyone has experienced this, and will be writing direct to LG to ask for an explanation.
I have 18 Lulu Guinness bags and have never had any problems with them.

I had this when I took a Guess bag out of storage last month and my bags are kept in dust bags. It was the handles in my case.

I had this happened to a glossy leather bag where the pipping had just disintegrated around the zip and the sides. It was the only glossy leather bag that I had and will never buy another.

I keep all of my bags in their dust bags in my wardrobe and chest of drawers.

I wonder if it’s lack of use and if they were being handled all the time it would be ok. I have a LG I have only used once years ago (kept for good and now it’s too formal) might hoke it out for a gander.

I have a lot of problems with plastic/rubber things going sticky, eg brolly handles, kitchen utensils etc and no amount of “hacks” work. This however is not what you expect to happen to pure leather. I know some bags are just coated leather but hopefully not the top expensive ones.

Last edited:
You should contact LG customer service.

A friend had this sort of problem with a Guess handbag her daughter brought her from the U.S. It was a genuine bag as her daughter had the receipt showing bought from the Guess store.

Now, I have also heard of this happening to shoes Clarkes, being one brand.

I found this on Carousell, the seller lives in Singapore so their weather conditions are very different from ours but the problem sounds similar.

'Black patent leather handbag with embossed prints. Patent leather on handles has become STICKY due to humid weather, buy ONLY if you know how to solve the problem. Leather on bag body not sticky. Approximate measurements of bag body: w 31 cm x h 23 cm x d 8.5 cm Comes with dust bag'.

I'm a big fan of vinegar & not just on chips; I use it to clean many surfaces, including the bunny's hutch. Last year I got my younger daughter's best loved doll out of storage to give to her little girl. Ainsley, younger daughter was a huge fan of the chef, had become sticky & good old vinegar saved the day.

Yes, now I think of it, my old Gran used to use vinegar a lot for all sorts of ailments and domestic repairs lol

But yes Griz, you may well be right, that this is just an example of inferior made for qvc quality. I've fired off the email to LG with photos, so I await their reply, though I don't hold out much hope of recompense.

Funny you should mention Clarks shoes. I’ve had many pairs where the sole just disintegrates. Mainly sandals & loafers. The sole just crumbles as you walk along leaving a trail of crumbs like Hansel & Gretel. Most annoying & have stopped me buying them.

Funny you should mention Clarks shoes. I’ve had many pairs where the sole just disintegrates. Mainly sandals & loafers. The sole just crumbles as you walk along leaving a trail of crumbs like Hansel & Gretel. Most annoying & have stopped me buying them.
This happened to me a few years ago on my way to work, my shoes started squeaking and bits of the sole were falling off and by the time I got to work the sole of one shoe had split in half.
I took them back to clarks and got a full refund.
Luckily they were my commuting shoes and I had my smart shoes at work .

A few years ago Mr C bought a pair of Clarks leather lace-up shoes at an outlet as he has done many times. After a couple of years he got them out and wore them for the first time. They split right across the sole and when we complained to Clarks they refused a refund, saying this is what happens if you don't wear shoes. I've never bought Clarks since.

Clarks shoes are now made in Third World sweatshops & despite all the talk about the technology involved I imagine the materials used aren't of a decent quality. The brand is owned by a private equity firm that won't be concerned that some products fall apart because those at the top will never have worn a pair of Clarks.

I had this happen to the handles of one of my LG patent leather bags; it was the plastic piping along the seam of the handles that went sticky so I wrapped them in silky scarves so that I can still use the bag. (Pinched the idea from the LG website because they were selling wrapped handled bags for a couple of seasons last year.)

I won't buy cosmetics with that soft neoprene feel surfaces anymore because they all end up sticky. I used acetone nail varnish remover to remove the coating from a couple of "sentimental*" Nars and very old Smashbox compacts that I wanted to keep but it's not ideal. I just end up with a cheap-looking black plastic compacts.

*I realise this sounds a little odd now I see it in print; time to review a few personal quirks!

A few years ago Mr C bought a pair of Clarks leather lace-up shoes at an outlet as he has done many times. After a couple of years he got them out and wore them for the first time. They split right across the sole and when we complained to Clarks they refused a refund, saying this is what happens if you don't wear shoes. I've never bought Clarks since.
We’ve had similar happen. OH’s sole on his wedding/funeral shoes (not Clark’s, Hush Puppies I think) fell apart on their first outing for a couple of years.
Fortunately he had a pair of black trainers in the car which were given a bit of spit and polish and pressed in to service.
I’ve since learned that leather shoes not worn regularly will do this.

Attachments

• 914C8622-A6A1-4635-A0B6-90F2B0F906EC.jpeg
    914C8622-A6A1-4635-A0B6-90F2B0F906EC.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 92
I had this happen to the handles of one of my LG patent leather bags; it was the plastic piping along the seam of the handles that went sticky so I wrapped them in silky scarves so that I can still use the bag. (Pinched the idea from the LG website because they were selling wrapped handled bags for a couple of seasons last year.)

I won't buy cosmetics with that soft neoprene feel surfaces anymore because they all end up sticky. I used acetone nail varnish remover to remove the coating from a couple of "sentimental*" Nars and very old Smashbox compacts that I wanted to keep but it's not ideal. I just end up with a cheap-looking black plastic compacts.

*I realise this sounds a little odd now I see it in print; time to review a few personal quirks!
Oh, Nars! Damn I have perfectly good eyeshadows which I used nail polish remover on to stop the cases sticking together. And yes Smasbox just as bad.

Yes my other half has dress shoes to wear with his DJ on formal nights when we cruise. Took them out as they have been in shoe bags in the wardrobe for 2 years and the sole on one has split and pieces have fallen off.

I've a few LG bags of different types which I don't use that often and they are all OK. I will say that I have found LG customer services to be excellent so it's well worth giving them a call.

The only damage I've had to a LG bag was done by some t**t who scored the front of my new orange leather bag with a ball point pen, right across the front as well and completely ruined it. Don't leave your £200 bag on a seat in a pub :mad::mad:

CC

Latest posts

Back