Lulu Guinness

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I was chatting to the friend who had the Guess bag yesterday. I said about people having problems with LG bags. We both agreed the days of keeping things for good are over the way things are made you use them or lose them. Oh, and she said she had an expensive pair of shoes years back kept in the box and took them out, and they had started to disintegrate.

I had a pair of walking boots, and I liked them so much that I bought another pair and kept them in their box as a spare.

When I went on holiday, I decided to take these instead of the pair I had been wearing. Then I discovered that the soles had totally crumbled, and lumps were falling off.

I was told by the shop that this happens in the box because fumes from the sole material attack the soles! But it seems to be true, because the first pair that I was wearing daily were fine.

In that case, they should have a USE BY DATE on the box, and instructions not to store them in the box.

I had a pair of walking boots, and I liked them so much that I bought another pair and kept them in their box as a spare.

When I went on holiday, I decided to take these instead of the pair I had been wearing. Then I discovered that the soles had totally crumbled, and lumps were falling off.

I was told by the shop that this happens in the box because fumes from the sole material attack the soles! But it seems to be true, because the first pair that I was wearing daily were fine.

In that case, they should have a USE BY DATE on the box, and instructions not to store them in the box.
What a brilliant idea.

I've kept going out shoes in boxes for years without any problems, however, they all have thin soles so maybe they don't disintegrate. I've now released two pairs of boots & my new trainers into the spare room - I'd rather have a corner that looks like a stockroom than crumbling footwear.

Years ago most shoes had real leather soles and heels and when they wore down you took them to a cobbler to have them replaced. Plus many soles were stitched or tacked to the upper unlike nowadays when they`re all glued together and the soles are either rubber or synthetic. Rubber rots easily plus the glue they use rots synthetics away too.
Back in the day people used a neutral polish on leather shoes and bags in order to keep the leather supple, to feed it and stop it from cracking and protect it. That doesn`t happen now and I`m as guilty as the next person for not using a proper shoe polish on my shoes or bags. Leather is animal skin and like all skin it will shrivel, crack and weaken just like skin on a corpse (sorry for the analogy) but unlike yester year our footwear isn`t expected to last for years and where we had maybe one pair of good shoes, now we have a glut and know we can always replace them sooner rather than later.
Paying a high price doesn`t always mean high quality even though it should and mass production, poor quality leather and materials, glue and synthetic soles don`t help.

Patent leather is one of the worst culprits these days for cracking and flaking. Years ago making patent leather was very time consuming and it meant polishing real leather time after time after time with oil and it took skill to make it. Nowadays it`s just leather which is coated with plastic or acrylic to make it shine or to emboss it. If we were to deconstruct a patent bag it would be a very thin layer of leather, coated with plastic to make it shiny, then backed with plastic in order to make it thick enough to make something out of and then lined with fabric.
Patent leather is made of leather that's been coated in plastic, varnish or lacquer to make it shiny. ... (Leather with a thicker coating than patent leather is sometimes called patent laminated leather.) Often the surface is left smooth, but it can also be embossed, crinkled or crushed.

I was in a very expensive leather shop where they made their own products and nothing was coated or dyed just the pure thing. I was told to use Nivea cream (big blue jar one was emphasised) and believe it or not told that getting it caught in the rain would make it softer!

Have received the standard 'received' reply from LG, so I will await their reply after having seen the photos I took. Apart from the sticky tacky mess around the metal opening frame, the bags are perfectly fine, - hardly used, but in their present condition are unusable and only fit for the bin !

HA ! WELL, here's a lesson for us all. Never buy anything that is patent leather, as regardless of use, it will deteriorate and become sticky. Don't tell you that when you're forking out hundreds of pounds do they ?

I'm not inspired with confidence either with her saying that "many of our customers" have used a shoe repair company. That smacks of them getting a lot of complaints to me. To me, my complaint is NOT a repair per se, but clearly a fault in their manufacturing process. Well I WON'T be having a lovely day Lucy.

"
Thank you for your email.

I’m sorry to hear about your cherished bags. Unfortunately, your item is now out of its 12-month guarantee period and we’re unable to provide you with a replacement or with a repair directly.

Patent leather is finished with a glossy coating and over time is susceptible to deteriorate and become sticky. This is an natural characteristic of the material, and may not always be avoidable.

I know it’s disappointing when this happens so if you‘d like to see if it can be repaired, many of our customers have had a great experience using The Classic Shoe Repair Company Ltd in the past.

The company has been recommended in Vogue and undertakes repairs for many leading brands.

You can reach them directly on:
Contact Number: 0207 485 5275
Email: [email protected]
Prices are approximately dependent on their inspection of the bag.

We also recommend the following companies:

https://www.handbagclinic.co.uk/the-clinic-i15

www.handbagclinic.co.uk

Please let me know if I can help by providing any additional information for the repair.

Wishing you a lovely day,

Lucy "

HA ! WELL, here's a lesson for us all. Never buy anything that is patent leather, as regardless of use, it will deteriorate and become sticky. Don't tell you that when you're forking out hundreds of pounds do they ?

I'm not inspired with confidence either with her saying that "many of our customers" have used a shoe repair company. That smacks of them getting a lot of complaints to me. To me, my complaint is NOT a repair per se, but clearly a fault in their manufacturing process. Well I WON'T be having a lovely day Lucy.

"
Thank you for your email.

I’m sorry to hear about your cherished bags. Unfortunately, your item is now out of its 12-month guarantee period and we’re unable to provide you with a replacement or with a repair directly.

Patent leather is finished with a glossy coating and over time is susceptible to deteriorate and become sticky. This is an natural characteristic of the material, and may not always be avoidable.

I know it’s disappointing when this happens so if you‘d like to see if it can be repaired, many of our customers have had a great experience using The Classic Shoe Repair Company Ltd in the past.

The company has been recommended in Vogue and undertakes repairs for many leading brands.

You can reach them directly on:
Contact Number: 0207 485 5275
Email: [email protected]
Prices are approximately dependent on their inspection of the bag.

We also recommend the following companies:

https://www.handbagclinic.co.uk/the-clinic-i15

www.handbagclinic.co.uk

Please let me know if I can help by providing any additional information for the repair.

Wishing you a lovely day,

Lucy "
Yep that`s what I said in my post above and its disgusting they sell items which they know may deteriorate easily. To be honest anybody wanting a patent bag would be justified in buying a synthetic one for much less money and it would probably last longer. I`m so sorry for you Brissles and I would be furious.

After reading these posts, I’m really glad I’ve never bought any LG bags or purses. You would not expect such expensive merchandise to deteriorate like that. Their CS doesn’t sound up to much either because, as a premium brand, I’d have expected them to fall over themselves to resolve it if only to protect their reputation.

The “Wishing you a lovely day” is also very patronising.

I could afford to buy a LG handbag but, even if I wanted one, I wouldn’t buy one now.

I've kept going out shoes in boxes for years without any problems, however, they all have thin soles so maybe they don't disintegrate. I've now released two pairs of boots & my new trainers into the spare room - I'd rather have a corner that looks like a stockroom than crumbling footwear.
Mine had very heavy soles that looked like a 4x4 tyre tread, and all the lumps came off. leaving a smooth undersole.

This is going to sound odd, but two pairs of Clarks suede lace up shoes bought from QVC turned mouldy. Yes, I live in an old, damp house, but all my other shoes, kept in the same cupboard, were fine. It was a shock to find them like this. Why only the Clarks suede ones ? They were unworn, as well.

Yes, now I think of it, my old Gran used to use vinegar a lot for all sorts of ailments and domestic repairs lol

But yes Griz, you may well be right, that this is just an example of inferior made for qvc quality. I've fired off the email to LG with photos, so I await their reply, though I don't hold out much hope of recompense.
You never know. Let's hope they respond favourably. They should.

I'm a big fan of vinegar & not just on chips; I use it to clean many surfaces, including the bunny's hutch. Last year I got my younger daughter's best loved doll out of storage to give to her little girl. Ainsley, younger daughter was a huge fan of the chef, had become sticky & good old vinegar saved the day.
A small pour of vinegar and some bicarb down the drain in the sink does wonders to clean things up It works as a hair rinse as well. Who knew ? Common old vinegar.

I’m fairly sure that was one of the methods I tried for rubberised brolly handles but I might as well have pd in the wind for all the good it did.

Hopefully works on p leather but it’s a bit of a chance unless the item is unusable anyway.

Years ago most shoes had real leather soles and heels and when they wore down you took them to a cobbler to have them replaced. Plus many soles were stitched or tacked to the upper unlike nowadays when they`re all glued together and the soles are either rubber or synthetic. Rubber rots easily plus the glue they use rots synthetics away too.
Back in the day people used a neutral polish on leather shoes and bags in order to keep the leather supple, to feed it and stop it from cracking and protect it. That doesn`t happen now and I`m as guilty as the next person for not using a proper shoe polish on my shoes or bags. Leather is animal skin and like all skin it will shrivel, crack and weaken just like skin on a corpse (sorry for the analogy) but unlike yester year our footwear isn`t expected to last for years and where we had maybe one pair of good shoes, now we have a glut and know we can always replace them sooner rather than later.
Paying a high price doesn`t always mean high quality even though it should and mass production, poor quality leather and materials, glue and synthetic soles don`t help.

Patent leather is one of the worst culprits these days for cracking and flaking. Years ago making patent leather was very time consuming and it meant polishing real leather time after time after time with oil and it took skill to make it. Nowadays it`s just leather which is coated with plastic or acrylic to make it shine or to emboss it. If we were to deconstruct a patent bag it would be a very thin layer of leather, coated with plastic to make it shiny, then backed with plastic in order to make it thick enough to make something out of and then lined with fabric.
Patent leather is made of leather that's been coated in plastic, varnish or lacquer to make it shiny. ... (Leather with a thicker coating than patent leather is sometimes called patent laminated leather.) Often the surface is left smooth, but it can also be embossed, crinkled or crushed.
Sad as it sounds I enjoy polishing shoes. I know that I go on a tad about my grandmothers, however, the one who advocated spending money on your bed & your shoes also believed in doing something positively practical when tempted to have an argument with someone & cleaning a pair of shoes was her preferred activity. I cleaned my daughters' shoes every night when they were at school & have been known to do my Mr T's as well.

Latest posts

Back