Mike Mason joins Ideal World TV

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

'Fantastically well??????' I can't tell the difference between the Bid tv Mike and the IW Mike to be honest! Still unbearable....

I would tend to agree. Managed to catch up with Mike yesterday selling the halogen oven and he's a bit like Peter Simon in that his sales pitches are still very much Bid-esque.

Goddess
Phone lines are going mental
etc etc

All kind of predictable although he probably won't get away with the sales pitches of old - I would like to hope that Ideal World have some kind of sense compared to the latter Bid management who let them get away with anything and to hell with the truth.

I would tend to agree. Managed to catch up with Mike yesterday selling the halogen oven and he's a bit like Peter Simon in that his sales pitches are still very much Bid-esque.

Goddess
Phone lines are going mental
etc etc

All kind of predictable although he probably won't get away with the sales pitches of old - I would like to hope that Ideal World have some kind of sense compared to the latter Bid management who let them get away with anything and to hell with the truth.

I don't understand what he got supposedly "got away with". As far as I am aware he never had any complaints upheld by the ASA. If he was guilty of a bit of scare mongering so was golden boy Andy Hodgson with the fire blanket as Benny mentioned in a previous post. I am no apologist for Mike but I am amazed by all the negativity on this forum regarding him. I can understand his loud, brash (pardon the pun) type demeanour and sales pitches is not everyone's cup of tea and maybe he has been sexist in the past. The other thing I don't understand is people say they miss the old Mike and he changed. But then they refer to his quiz call days as a stick to beat him with which was several years ago. So he was the same then as he is now.

People should just admit they don't like Mike but don't come on with all that rubbish that they used to like him and he changed.

I've said this before and I've honestly tried to see something likeable in Mike because he has had such negative press on here, and I know I've contributed. He's obviously really proud of his gorgeous wife and little boy and quite rightly so, but does he have to be so aggressive? For me he fails to put himself across as a proud family man, instead I'm afraid he just comes across as an angry & aggressive braggart, and I don't find that particularly pleasant viewing. Perhaps it's wrong to keep raking over his past performances on Bid/Quiz call etc, but having not seen much of him on IW this is all I have to go on. The one that sticks in my mind most was the rear view mirror pitch, in which he implied that anyone who didn't have one runs the risk of injuring or killing a child...and if anyone harmed his child etc etc! - That's sort of behaviour is not only aggressive, but threatening, and most certainly what I don't want to hear from a sales person, not on telly, not anywhere! So when he got the gig on IW, I was surprised because they seem to be a more "genteel" outfit where this sort of sales pitch would be incongruous. I tried also to imagine how sick he must have felt about reading or hearing about the comments on here, I tried to empathise, but then pictured him threatening this site with legal action, and saw some of the disgusting and basic language used by some of his fans geared towards us, there the sympathy and empathy rested. as I said before, I'm glad he's managed to get a new job so quickly, nobody likes to lose their income, but I am sorry that it's on a channel I regularly watch because he's one (not the only one, I have to say) presenter that I wouldn't be sorry not to see on our screens again!

'Fantastically well??????' I can't tell the difference between the Bid tv Mike and the IW Mike to be honest! Still unbearable....

Yes I do think he is doing very well indeed. In your opinion he is "unbearable" but yet you are in tuning in to watch him on Ideal World?????? hmmmm

I've said this before and I've honestly tried to see something likeable in Mike because he has had such negative press on here, and I know I've contributed. He's obviously really proud of his gorgeous wife and little boy and quite rightly so, but does he have to be so aggressive? For me he fails to put himself across as a proud family man, instead I'm afraid he just comes across as an angry & aggressive braggart, and I don't find that particularly pleasant viewing. Perhaps it's wrong to keep raking over his past performances on Bid/Quiz call etc, but having not seen much of him on IW this is all I have to go on. The one that sticks in my mind most was the rear view mirror pitch, in which he implied that anyone who didn't have one runs the risk of injuring or killing a child...and if anyone harmed his child etc etc! - That's sort of behaviour is not only aggressive, but threatening, and most certainly what I don't want to hear from a sales person, not on telly, not anywhere! So when he got the gig on IW, I was surprised because they seem to be a more "genteel" outfit where this sort of sales pitch would be incongruous. I tried also to imagine how sick he must have felt about reading or hearing about the comments on here, I tried to empathise, but then pictured him threatening this site with legal action, and saw some of the disgusting and basic language used by some of his fans geared towards us, there the sympathy and empathy rested. as I said before, I'm glad he's managed to get a new job so quickly, nobody likes to lose their income, but I am sorry that it's on a channel I regularly watch because he's one (not the only one, I have to say) presenter that I wouldn't be sorry not to see on our screens again!

Very well put.

PJ

Yes I do think he is doing very well indeed. In your opinion he is "unbearable" but yet you are in tuning in to watch him on Ideal World?????? hmmmm

Tuning in to watch Mike??!!!! No. Was flicking through the shopping channels, saw him, watched for all of two minutes to see how 'fantastically well' he was doing, saw that he wasn't, changed channels. That is why I felt able to say he is still unbearable

There seem to be many posters on this forum- docswife, gray etc who never tuned into watch Mike but were just flicking through the channels and watched for all of 2 minutes:mysmilie_19:

Then there are other posters who say they won't be watching him at all but still manage to go over the same old ground over and over and over again! :yawn:
Bid TV is over now and it was a great opportunity for Mike haters to forget about him and not watch him ever again. They can't make the excuse that they are watching him to see whether he is going to fall foul of ASA regulations so they are watching as a sense of public duty. Ideal World are a very compliant channel and I don't think there is a need for them to be closely monitored by viewers and the ASA. Especially as Mike has never fallen foul of the ASA.

I don't think they can now use the past as a stick to beat him with either, he now has new employers and as far as I'm aware(as I haven't watched Mike on Ideal World) he hasn't done anything to ruffle anyone's feathers. If he were to do so I'm sure he wouldn't have a job for much longer.

Best suggestion is not to watch him at all if you don't like Mike.

Last edited:
He seems to do so few, out of primetime shifts that it will probably be difficult for most people to see him and listen to his dulcet tones anyway.

But as was discussed yesterday so long as forum members stay within the forum rules they can say whatever they want. I don't think it's any forum member's place to try and influence what can be specifically said in any discussions so long as no rules are being broken. This isn't Mason's facebook page!

So, if anyone wants to go over old ground surely they're allowed to?. And if anyone doesn't want to read such posts they are of course always free to place individual posters on ignore, that sounds fair to me :mysmilie_59: But only Graham and Sazza decide what can and cannot be discussed.

Nobody else.

Sorry. Didn't realise I needed your permission to flick through the shopping channels on my tv. I also flick through the news channels etc. sometimes I stop and watch if an item catches my eye, sometimes I move on. Hopefully, that's ok with you. I certainly did not watch IW specifically to watch Mike Mason. As I've already said, he's unbearable. In fact, I would not choose to watch Mike Mason if he was standing here in my living room giving halogen ovens away for nothing. I've heard all the goddess, my little boy, mysoginistic stories I could ever wish to hear........so, no, I won't watch him. Thank you for the advice.:mysmilie_19:

Mike Mason is quite easy to recognise, hopefully you won't watch him by mistake again!:mysmilie_13:

He seems to do so few, out of primetime shifts that it will probably be difficult for most people to see him and listen to his dulcet tones anyway.

But as was discussed yesterday so long as forum members stay within the forum rules they can say whatever they want. I don't think it's any forum member's place to try and influence what can be specifically said in any discussions so long as no rules are being broken. This isn't Mason's facebook page!

So, if anyone wants to go over old ground surely they're allowed to?. And if anyone doesn't want to read such posts they are of course always free to place individual posters on ignore, that sounds fair to me :mysmilie_59: But only Graham and Sazza decide what can and cannot be discussed.

Nobody else.

Maybe that is what some posters on here should do with Mike Mason - stick him on ignore!

I don't understand what he got supposedly "got away with". As far as I am aware he never had any complaints upheld by the ASA. If he was guilty of a bit of scare mongering so was golden boy Andy Hodgson with the fire blanket as Benny mentioned in a previous post. I am no apologist for Mike but I am amazed by all the negativity on this forum regarding him. I can understand his loud, brash (pardon the pun) type demeanour and sales pitches is not everyone's cup of tea and maybe he has been sexist in the past. The other thing I don't understand is people say they miss the old Mike and he changed. But then they refer to his quiz call days as a stick to beat him with which was several years ago. So he was the same then as he is now.

People should just admit they don't like Mike but don't come on with all that rubbish that they used to like him and he changed.

I don't dislike or hate Mike - I reckon in real life he's actually quite decent.

For me personally it's the way he comes across in his presentations - it's all a bit delboy/down at the market. I don't think he ever did get any ASA complaints but he has in the past gone over the top with his sales pitches (bass reflex sheet (yes, I know it's old - but unforgettable:grin: ), the worry angels, having an LED candle in your window to prevent burglary etc)... remember a segment on Bid.tv a while back when Mike was saying that he had heard comments said on here but that 'it didn't bother him' (obviously it does with the complaint he made to Graham).

Yesterday on Ideal he was quite professional in his presentation (with a hint of old Sit-up) - but I guess that's just the way he is.... he does seem to have calmed down a bit. (doubt I'll get to see much of him - I won't be making time to watch (not an Ideal World fan))

worse presenters from Bid who really took the mick though - - Russell, Simon, Jaxx, Sherlock...

I don't dislike or hate Mike - I reckon in real life he's actually quite decent.

For me personally it's the way he comes across in his presentations - it's all a bit delboy/down at the market. I don't think he ever did get any ASA complaints but he has in the past gone over the top with his sales pitches (bass reflex sheet (yes, I know it's old - but unforgettable:grin: ), the worry angels, having an LED candle in your window to prevent burglary etc)... remember a segment on Bid.tv a while back when Mike was saying that he had heard comments said on here but that 'it didn't bother him' (obviously it does with the complaint he made to Graham).

Yesterday on Ideal he was quite professional in his presentation (with a hint of old Sit-up) - but I guess that's just the way he is.... he does seem to have calmed down a bit.

worse presenters from Bid who really took the mick though - - Russell, Simon, Jaxx, Sherlock...

The reason he never got any complaints is because, from what I seen, he never actually blatantly lied about the specific products. I am on record as saying this many, many times.

Now, that sounds good and indeed it is. But what about the associated stories he'd tell, like for example about the Dongle (how much do you pay for Sky?) and Debenhams 'maybe' stocking Jean Paul DuPont?

So nothing you could complain about of course but was he always open, honest and transparent? Were his tales cleverly worded in such a way to make people get an idea in their head that, to be frank, was unlikely to be pertinent to the actual item he was selling? That's down to personal opinion.

So from a regulatory standpoint of course he was far from the worst (in fact I don't think he was the worst full stop). The lack of ASA complaints doesn't really tell the whole story where Mason (and various others) is concerned though, far from it.

But that's just my opinion.

Nobody else.

Wirral :) Graham put a comment on here a few days ago saying that everyone was entitled to an opinion, so I thought that was what the forum was for :) I wouldn't want to put individual posters on ignore as the comments they make about how much they dislike Mike Mason and find him unbearable really make me laugh :D :) Especially as they pretend they are watching him for two minutes :) lol All the posters who claim to hate him are watching him day in and day out and I find that absolutely hilarious :D :)

Tuning in to watch Mike??!!!! No. Was flicking through the shopping channels, saw him, watched for all of two minutes to see how 'fantastically well' he was doing, saw that he wasn't, changed channels. That is why I felt able to say he is still unbearable

Absolutely hilariously funny!!! Another poster who watched Mike Mason for two minutes and found him unbearable!! lol. How many posters have said that now?! lol

Mr. Wirral - that's it! :)

Wirral :) Graham put a comment on here a few days ago saying that everyone was entitled to an opinion, so I thought that was what the forum was for :) I wouldn't want to put individual posters on ignore as the comments they make about how much they dislike Mike Mason and find him unbearable really make me laugh :D :) Especially as they pretend they are watching him for two minutes :) lol All the posters who claim to hate him are watching him day in and day out and I find that absolutely hilarious :D :)

haha, First time I saw Mike since his Bid days yesterday. I don't really make a habit of watching much shopping telly now - Bid was a guilty pleasure (for all the wrong reasons :mysmilie_17: ).
Now, Gems TV (up until 11am --- until the 'Three Stooges in One' is on (Peter Simon)) is quite interesting :mysmilie_47:

The other thing I find absolutely hilarious is that there a few posters on here who championed the fight for demise of sit up, spent hours religiously watching and recording bid tv, spent countless time out of their lives making complaints to the ASA who finally got their wish granted. However they are now left with emptiness in their lives as they have nothing to complaint about. They now have to resort to raking over the past again and again:mysmilie_19: I bet they secretly wish Bid was still trading as their lives circled around bid tv and the presenters.

They need to find another outlet, how about they take up a real hobby!:mysmilie_19:

The other thing I find absolutely hilarious is that there a few posters on here who championed the fight for demise of sit up, spent hours religiously watching and recording bid tv, spent countless time out of their lives making complaints to the ASA who finally got their wish granted. However they are now left with emptiness in their lives as they have nothing to complaint about. They now have to resort to raking over the past again and again:mysmilie_19: I bet they secretly wish Bid was still trading as their lives circled around bid tv and the presenters.

They need to find another outlet, how about they take up a real hobby!:mysmilie_19:

It's true, I feel a bit lost without good old Bid (I didn't make any complaints by the way - even though they were justified).

Let's face it though they had been in financial trouble before ASA complaints were launched - in 2008 their finances took a massive nose dive when Virgin sold the channel off. I don't think they ever recovered - although the complaints didn't help (they took no notice of them anyway - Peter Simon even mocked the ASA on air).

It's a shame really because Bid was good at the beginning but lost its way towards the end. If the management had took hold of the situation better (financial and presenting style) they'd most likely still be here.

I hope Mike get's to do some Home Security sales on Ideal World.

I wonder if he'll say that you might* get a discount on your House Insurance like he did with the ultra cheap Battery Operated Alarms?

* And of course you might not too. In fact you won't with crap like he was shilling but by saying 'might' you couldn't complain, another example of this characters slipperiness.

Yes there is no doubt about it Mike is clever with his choice of words, I remember once when he was selling a yarvik tablet for £150 and then said "we have sold yarvik tablets for £250" without mentioning that he was selling the 7 inch model and the 10inch model was £250 which was misleading. After the flood of ASA complaints he did change on bid and I don't think he would ever or be allowed to say such things on Ideal World.

Another thing i would say is that Benny did some fine work for exposing bid's bad practice and at times dodgy behaviour but you never get the feeling it was personal with him. He did out of a sense of what was right and wrong and didn't resort to making horrible personal insults about some of the presenters. I recall a poster on here (I can't remember who) who referred to Mark Ryes as rat-faced and poked fun at Simon Davies' gasping even though it was probably a medical condition that he had difficulty with his breathing. Those types of posters should have been banned from this forum as those comments were really quite sick. It takes a sick individual to make such comments - someone with real venom inside them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back