More used good - disgusted!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

It does annoy me when they don't refund the p+p when it has been their error, whether from giving incorrect information on air (I ordered it based on what the presenter was saying) or that the product was faulty.
Wouldn't let them get away with it now. :cheeky:

I emailed QVC's CS today asking for a refund of my p&p for a faulty item. I asked for a pre-paid returns label which they sent, then they notified me of my refund and I noticed that it didn't include p&p, so I emailed and they have agreed to refund that too. I just have to keep an eye on them now.

I'm sure I heard Dale say some time ago that earrings were sent away to be properly sterilised.

By 'properly sterilised' he means sent to the warehouse where someone with mucky fingers takes them out of the box and wipes them on a greasy tabard before putting them back in the box and sending them out again, if some of our experiences are anything to go by ;) :grin:

They're put in an autoclave to clean them (allegedly) and then returned out...both Claudia and Simon have said as much on air:thinking2:. Makes me think twice about ordering earrings from them now.

An autoclave is used to sterilise surgical instruments, would jewellery and the stones in them be able to withstand the extremely high temperatures of an autoclave?:wonder2:

Maybe that's why the stones fall out in the first place, maybe we're getting second hand items anyway. I remember ordering some glittery thread type things that were on clearance, nothing was said about the fact that they were sold as less than the original length but they were. I don't count this as clearance I count this as selling less than advertised, stupidly I thought this was normal and didn't query it.:sad:
I also don't like the idea that if the stones fall out within a year but after six months they won't do anything about it. I bought a Connie B smoky topaz ring wore it twice and a stone fell out, however it was about ayear after I bought it. I was told to go to Connie B direct but was not offered an address from QVC.
If it was Samuels etc you would be able to go to their customer services and they would refer you through them, your rights would be adhered to. The fact that the ring broke within a year does not bode well especially when they go on about passing them down to the next generations. I read the reviews now before buying especially jewellery.

Maybe that's why the stones fall out in the first place, maybe we're getting second hand items anyway. I remember ordering some glittery thread type things that were on clearance, nothing was said about the fact that they were sold as less than the original length but they were. I don't count this as clearance I count this as selling less than advertised, stupidly I thought this was normal and didn't query it.:sad:
I also don't like the idea that if the stones fall out within a year but after six months they won't do anything about it. I bought a Connie B smoky topaz ring wore it twice and a stone fell out, however it was about ayear after I bought it. I was told to go to Connie B direct but was not offered an address from QVC.
If it was Samuels etc you would be able to go to their customer services and they would refer you through them, your rights would be adhered to. The fact that the ring broke within a year does not bode well especially when they go on about passing them down to the next generations. I read the reviews now before buying especially jewellery.

Under the Sale of Goods act items should be of reasonable quality and a stone coming out of a ring within a couple of wearings isn't reasonable quality. Even though you had the ring for a while it's not acceptable and they should sort it out.

Under the Sale of Goods act items should be of reasonable quality and a stone coming out of a ring within a couple of wearings isn't reasonable quality. Even though you had the ring for a while it's not acceptable and they should sort it out.

quite right,it should be fit for its purpose..not acceptable at all

Funnily enough I have had this problem with a citrine and diamond ring this week . I brought it 2 years ago and have only worn it about 6 times and one of the small citrines has come out. When I rang CS they said they only repair diamoique as that is there own brand. Great!!

Pure and simple. Goods sold as new have to be in a new condition. Anything else and don't even bother complaining to QVC - report them to trading standards.

I'm disgusted at the stories you're suggesting about earrings. If I chose to buy second hand earrings then I could go to Ebay....

Disgusting, isnt there a body you could complain to, like Advertising Standards Authority ? I'd have thought you would have them for selling second hand jewellery. It is time QVC were being 'brought to book', as this does not seem to be an isolated case.

Trading Standards. Phone up your local trading standards branch and see what they suggest - will probably be linked on your local council website. They are always very interested in this kind of thing. I'm sure there is something about the company having to provide a refund of postage as well. I think it's the distance selling regulations. To the OP put in your letter to QVC that you will be discussing this with trading standards. You should also write to the chief executive not just customer services. Chief execs don't like to get complaints. Usually your issue gets sorted very quickly.

Funnily enough I have had this problem with a citrine and diamond ring this week . I brought it 2 years ago and have only worn it about 6 times and one of the small citrines has come out. When I rang CS they said they only repair diamoique as that is there own brand. Great!!
Items are meant to be of a reasonable quality, which is what a reasonable person would think is acceptable quality. If a £5 ring from e.g. New Look broke after being worn six times then that might not be considered unreasonable but if a £1000 ring did then that would be unacceptable.

If QVC cannot repair the ring you could ask for a partial refund as you have had some use from it. Would you still wear it with a stone missing or will it just sit in you jewellery box unworn?

If I were you I would google "the sale of goods act" then give them another call and quote your rights to them.

Section 14 Sale of Goods Act 1979 ("SGA") implies a term in every contract involving a consumer purchasing goods from someone selling an item in the course of a business. Section 14(2) reads as follows:

(2) Where the seller sells goods in the course of a business, there is an implied term that the goods supplied under the contract are of satisfactory quality.
(2A) For the purposes of this Act, goods are of satisfactory quality if they meet the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking account of any description of the goods, the price (if relevant) and all the other relevant circumstances.
(2B) For the purposes of this Act, the quality of goods includes their state and condition and the following (among others) are in appropriate cases aspects of the quality of goods—
(a)fitness for all the purposes for which goods of the kind in question are commonly supplied,
(b)appearance and finish,
(c)freedom from minor defects,
(d)safety, and
(e)durability.

All goods purchased must meet these standards. If an item does not meet these standards the seller must offer to either replace, repair or refund the item. They cannot palm you off to the manufacturer as your contract is with the seller and not the manufacturer.

Write to QVC setting out s14(2) of the SGA asking for an appropriate response within 14 days. Advise that if you do not hear from them within that time limit that you will take further action.

If you want to check out the SGA for yourself this is the link:

http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/legRes...iveTextDocId=1837068&PageNumber=1&SortAlpha=0

Thank you to all for sending through details. I will keep this info for next time. The ring in question is now 4 years old so it's two years since the stone fell out, I left too late. I won't do that again.

I got a little extra in my "new" bag

I recently gt a Kathy bag from QVC which I love. Had it out yesterday and went to put my lipstick in the inner pocket and lo and behold there was a crystal buckle bracelet! i checked the bag and it doesnt seem used and was all properly packaged but it obviuosly had been! I am going to call customer servs tomorrow to get a replacement! I might not have bothered if I like the bracelet!!

used goods

i could'nt beleive it when i opened a parcel containing 5 thomas paccone xmas ornaments that i had ordered for my daughter.i had ordered the large ornaments and ONE OF THEM WAS MISSING FROM THE BOX!!not broken but missing,so i ahve made sure cs know about it and a courier has to come to pick it up and i shall be sure to claim back the p and p even thought the item was not that exspensive.at the same time i had ordered the box with 48 ornaments in so god knows how many of them will be missing!watch this space........

I had exactly the same problem!

I returned the ring with this letter:

Please find enclosed a RLM Silver Ring. (

I am curious now - what ring and size was it? Can't help but wonder if that's the one we ended up with? :D

Still waiting for their letter. I just wish they would actually do something about these problems. It galls me that I've now got unfit goods and they've got my money!

i ordered the butler and wilson union jack watch for my step daughter for christmas. when it arrived it didn't have the usual plastic covering on the watch face but i thought nothing of it. the time was not correct on the watch so i thought i'd set it to the right time. i pulled the pin on the side of the watch out - gently - and the entire pin came out!!!

after examining the watch more closely, i def think that this watch has been ordered previously and worn, before being returned!!!!

i have returned it and received a replacement, this one does have a plastic cover on the face to protect it and also looks newer somehow.

so guys, please check your items very carefully, especially if you are giving them as gifts.

I'm wondering something now. When an item is returned by a customer is there a "cut off point", for want of a better description, to the quality that they will accept back? If an item was really badly damaged, would they not accept it for refund?

I received the label today for a return, but it's in such a poor state I'm surprised they accepted it back. I'm half tempted to take it to trading standards, but that'll delay a refund that's going to take long enough as it is. It might take longer than the 30-days to resolve.

I'm wondering something now. When an item is returned by a customer is there a "cut off point", for want of a better description, to the quality that they will accept back? If an item was really badly damaged, would they not accept it for refund?

I received the label today for a return, but it's in such a poor state I'm surprised they accepted it back. I'm half tempted to take it to trading standards, but that'll delay a refund that's going to take long enough as it is. It might take longer than the 30-days to resolve.

I don't know that there is a cut off point, they tell us to buy things and try them and return them if we are not happy so thay can hardly refuse to accept a reurn when we have done just that.

In the outlet shop there are shoes that have obviously been worn outside but they tell us we can do that then return things. There are also craft kits with lots of components missing but again they tell us to try them.

i could'nt beleive it when i opened a parcel containing 5 thomas paccone xmas ornaments that i had ordered for my daughter.i had ordered the large ornaments and ONE OF THEM WAS MISSING FROM THE BOX!!not broken but missing,so i ahve made sure cs know about it and a courier has to come to pick it up and i shall be sure to claim back the p and p even thought the item was not that exspensive.at the same time i had ordered the box with 48 ornaments in so god knows how many of them will be missing!watch this space........

I bought a Leighton Denny kit, the crystal nail file was missing and the lip balm had a thumb print in it. Obviously someone ordered it, pinched the file and tried the balm then returned the incomplete kit, though CS assured me they don't send out reurned items.

I bought a Leighton Denny kit, the crystal nail file was missing and the lip balm had a thumb print in it. Obviously someone ordered it, pinched the file and tried the balm then returned the incomplete kit, though CS assured me they don't send out reurned items.

How odd..the same thing happened to me with a Leighton Denny kit too. Parcel arrived, opened it - nail file was missing, all of the products had been opened and used, there was a hand scrub in it which had a mahoosive thumb print in it and something containing oil in the kit had leaked open and all over my carpet. Needless to say got on to CS who gave me the spiel about not sending returns out, which is a lorry load of old poop if you ask me:call:

Latest posts

Back