Nail Treatments

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Silver Fox

Registered Shopper
Not ordering the OPI as my nails are not worth it! Any suggestions/ feedback on Nail treatments Q or otherwise. I have used OPI Nail Envy & it does work but I don't know if it makes my nails so hard that they are not flexible as I always seem to get a break at the side of my thumbs which then has to be cut back & grow out.I also have a vertical split ( again Thumb) which even when I cut back still will not grow out.My nails at the moment are all shapes & sizes & flaking--- in short a mess!
ThanksX

I use Nail Envy but have the sensitive and peeling version (orange label) as it suits my nails better. Personally think that Leighton Denny does the best nail treatments.

My nails were dry and brittle and I've tried avoplex oil and slick tips. Of the two, I prefer the avoplex. My nails have definitely improved. Then I read about almond oil being a great nail treatment and I bought a bottle of care+ almond oil from boots for about £2.50. I use it when I remember and my nails are still good. I got a 50ml size and mix it in with body moisturisers too.

You should be able to repair that vertical split with glue and although you may think oh I can't be bothered it could actually help stop the problem. A vertical split can be a nightmare to halt.

If you do want to repair it just buff the nail. Use nail glue and a small piece of tissue as a patch. Leave until 110% dry and then buff gently before putting on a clear polish or treatment. You may need to replace the patch every few days but you will be able to get the nail to grow out to the point where you can cut the nail lower than the split. If you keep cutting/trimming it with the split at the very top it's very difficult to get rid of it.

Yell if that doesn't make sense.

Oh I'm sorry you don't get on with Nail Envy - I love it.
Have you tried LD Renovate as a treatment?
My advise would be to always use non acetone remover and a good nail file. I use the LD crystal file and found it really does make a difference. Oil, Oil, Oil as much as you can too. Also concentrate on strength before you even think about length.
Hope this helps in some way
x

Nothing works, for me anyway. The only solution for me is to keep my nails very short, then apply Roccoco base coat (from Space NK) two coats of a LD colour and then Seche Vite topcoat. That will last me a week.

It may sound strange but the only time my nails break or are weak is in the days after I have used any nail products, be it a treatment like nail envy or pink gel stuff, or simply using nail polish. If I leave my nails alone, keep them short and only file when necessary, and.... dare I say it, cut them with scissors.... they are always strong and healthy. I use L'Occitane liquid soap and shea hand cream several times a day and that seems to keep my hands and nails healthy.If I am going out somewhere nice I may have a French Manicure or use pink gel coat but my nails are always weak and brittle for a day or so afterwards.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

I think I've tried just about everything but my nails are still rubbish and flaky. I apply oil about 20 times a day but haven't seen any difference with treatments. I'm currently trying LD bio build system which he reckons takes about 6 months for results, so we'll see. I got the set on an auto delivery from Amazon and it's a good bit cheaper! Good luck finding something! Xxx

The only one I noticed a difference with was Leighton Denny Renovate, but even that didn't give me great nails.

You might try LD hydraflex, it helps brittle nails to become more flexible. Also you could try multi vitamins maybe? Xxx

I used to swear by Nail Envy but found the same as you they got too hard and would break instead of bending if I knocked them. Now I find since I started using the Red Carpet Manicure my nails are the best they have ever been. I do housework, cleaning, gardening etc. with no gloves and they are protected. Sometimes I really hit them hard and am surprised not to break them. If I do get a little break I just stick it together with the basecoat until it grows out and you cannot even see it under the varnish etc. I can also keep them much longer than I did before.

Many thanks for all the advise, much appreciated.I will let you know when I have talons worth showing off!

I am sorry you are having nail product issues. I am sensitive to most nail products so I can't wear nail polish.

Some things I do are keep my nails short, I use a glass nail file. Buff my nails to give them a nice subtle sheen, M&S does a good nail buffer for £3. I use coconut oil (you can get this from the supermarket in the cooking oil section) it's extra virgin coconut oil or Almond oil on my nails. Nails love oil and you can use it as often as you want through the day. I always apply double the amount on a night-time.

You should be able to repair that vertical split with glue and although you may think oh I can't be bothered it could actually help stop the problem. A vertical split can be a nightmare to halt.

If you do want to repair it just buff the nail. Use nail glue and a small piece of tissue as a patch. Leave until 110% dry and then buff gently before putting on a clear polish or treatment. You may need to replace the patch every few days but you will be able to get the nail to grow out to the point where you can cut the nail lower than the split. If you keep cutting/trimming it with the split at the very top it's very difficult to get rid of it.

Yell if that doesn't make sense.

My nails went to pot because of a vitamin deficiency but weren't ever brilliant to start with. I found using the Leighton Denny files reduced the breakages and splitting.
I use Trind products as they don't set off my allergies.

I have a split in one of my thumb nails too, I've had it for years, it just grows that way - I asked the technician doing them once when I went for a manicure and she had a look and said that at some point the nail bed has been damaged, and it will always be like that. Sometimes it's worse than others.

I have a split in one of my thumb nails too, I've had it for years, it just grows that way - I asked the technician doing them once when I went for a manicure and she had a look and said that at some point the nail bed has been damaged, and it will always be like that. Sometimes it's worse than others.

My mum has a vertical split in one nail, she has had it more than 14 years and at long last you can see it is growing out, this is happening as a result of getting regular gel manicures for the last 6 months and sometimes having a "poppet" (acrylic) put on it to protect it from further damage. Nail Tech says that nails have memory and that with perseverence you can get a vertical split to grow out.

I had a vertical split in index finger nail which always broke down to the nail bed (sore!), I didn't do anything about for over 2 years as I didn't realise I could treat it, but it has finally gone. Found that Nailtiques formula no2 and Trind Nail balsam sorted it after a few weeks- I got both from Amazon. The nail is still a bit weaker than the others and will always break in same place if I knock it but it looks OK.

I've never had nice nails in my life - and I have a vertical split in one thumb-nail, the result I think of bashing it into a handrail without an end-cap in House of Fraser, talking to my DD instead of looking what I was doing! I've tried everything and they will get just over the end of my finger (or thumb) then they'll snap, or I'll get a split way down at one side, or something. I use a Leighton Denny crystal file, and have tried every treatment under the sun - at the mo it's Jessica oil and Nail Drink and hand cream several times a day, intensive sort at bedtime and cotton gloves - but I have never, and no doubt WILL never, have a set of nails that I can feel proud of! :sad:

I've never had nice nails in my life - and I have a vertical split in one thumb-nail, the result I think of bashing it into a handrail without an end-cap in House of Fraser, talking to my DD instead of looking what I was doing! I've tried everything and they will get just over the end of my finger (or thumb) then they'll snap, or I'll get a split way down at one side, or something. I use a Leighton Denny crystal file, and have tried every treatment under the sun - at the mo it's Jessica oil and Nail Drink and hand cream several times a day, intensive sort at bedtime and cotton gloves - but I have never, and no doubt WILL never, have a set of nails that I can feel proud of! :sad:

That's the best nail file I've ever used, it's brilliant!

Latest posts

Back