Nails Inc Magnetic Nail Polishes vs Boots 17 Magnetic Nail Polishes

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Flamenco

Registered Shopper
Well, Boots 17 wins out hands down. Not only are they cheaper @£5.99 each (Nails Inc are £13.00 each), but there are 4 colour choices too: Teal, Blue, dark grey and a plum purple. I went into Boots yesterday, snapped up all 4 colours as well as a couple of bottles of my favourite Seche Vite top coat, and there was a 3 for 2 offer throughout the store. So 2 of my magnetic polishes were FREE!. £12 for 4 magnetic polishes is pretty good. But the proof is in the pudding, so I applied the teal shade as soon as I got back. It does require some skill - you need to do one nail at a time or they will start to dry and the magnet in the lid won't work. The lid is also separate from the brush - a bit like Chanel nail lacquers where you pull the lid off and then unscrew a smaller lid inside which has the brush applicator. The magnetic effect works well and I sealed it with some Seche Vite afterwards. No chipping or polish peeling nearly 24 hours later. I tried the Nails Inc gold version in store last week, which was pants. I hardly noticed the magnetic effect at all, although another poster here said there had been mention of this on the Nails Inc FB page. My advice is buy the Boots 17 version, its much cheaper (esp if you take up the 3 for 2 offer), the colours are great and the magnetic effect works very well. I have also bought a LCN (a US professional nail brand) freestanding magnet which creates diagonal lines (as opposed to the horizontal lines the No 17 and Nails Inc magnets create) for £9 from Ebay to vary it a bit. LCN also do a magnet that creates a star effect, which is pretty too. No doubt the Nails Inc Magnetic polishes will come to QVC soon (probably when retail sales drop off a bit due to more brands bringing a similar, cheaper product), so thought folk might want to know that Boots 17 is a cheaper alternative that is just as good, if not better. I reckon these will fly out of Boots though as I got the last blue polish. :sun:

Interesting post Flamenco, thanks for this.

I'm sporting the silver nails inc magnetic polish and I'm disappointed that apart from 2 of my girlfriends, noone has made any comment. It's certainly noticeable but noone has said a word. Generally, I get comments on them with just a colour on :doh:

I will visit my nearest Boots with a view to getting the blue, teal and dark grey. I also didn't know about the stand alone magnets so will go and investigate!

Interesting post Flamenco, thanks for this.

I'm sporting the silver nails inc magnetic polish and I'm disappointed that apart from 2 of my girlfriends, noone has made any comment. It's certainly noticeable but noone has said a word. Generally, I get comments on them with just a colour on :doh:

I will visit my nearest Boots with a view to getting the blue, teal and dark grey. I also didn't know about the stand alone magnets so will go and investigate!

You're welcome. I have just read that Superdrug is bringing out its own version called "Saturdays" with 5 colour options. Each of the Saturdays girl band members promotes a different colour. The reason I'm mentioning this, part from more choice, is that you buy a freestanding magnet to use the polish - its not built into the lid. The magnet will retail for £3, which is cheaper than LCN's version. I'm not sure when it comes out but I can't see why it can't be used with any magnetic polish.

I've just ordered the star magnet from ebay. It was a tad pricey but I think it might give a better finish on my nails than the one included with the Nails inc bottles. My nails are wide so I only get a stripe of pattern down the middle of the nail so I have to repaint that this give an uneven finish.

I'll look out for the Superdrug version too. Thanks for the heads up

Just got my Nails Inc in the post today got the purple one for £7 through Buyapowa. Gonna have a play tomorrow and see what I think but thanks for the heads up about Boots.

Can any of you give me a clue what to search for on the usual suspect sites to find the magnets please - am clearly having a dopey moment as I can't seem to find them anywhere???

Thanks Beading Belle but I meant the separate magnets (star ones that jo106 was talking about).
I've already got the polishes. (3 Boots ones and 2 Nails Inc - so got all bases covered there.....)

Ali, I went to Ebay and searched on LCN magnet

HTH

Ta chick,
Had a quick look and found one. They must have been re-listed recently as they weren't there this morning, I'd called myself to look under LCN but only found the ones as part of the starter set thingy that was about £70.
XX

Glad you found them. I'm going to try and pop into Boots this weekend to try out the other colours.

Thanks to this thread I nipped to Boots yesterday and purchased the silver, green and blue for less than the price of 1 NI (I resisted the plum for once). I have fingers and toes done now and have had lots of comments. Friends of mine went at lunch to but some but they only had silver left so I fear they are selling fast ...... Personally I'm very impressed with the results so far so thanks once again

I have the Nails Inc trio but have found they last very well. The black/silver one lasted well over a week. But, as with most nail polishes, everyone seems to have different experiences of longevity etc. I never have problems with either Nails Inc or OPI lasting but have yet to use a Leighton Denny that goes more than three days without needing 'mending'.
The gold Nails Inc magnetic is quite a subtle look (the other two are certainly not). I don't mind that, rather like it actually. Bright yellow gold doesn't really work on me, so a more subtle pretty look suits me fine. I am going to check out those Boots ones though …

I have the Nails Inc trio but have found they last very well. The black/silver one lasted well over a week. But, as with most nail polishes, everyone seems to have different experiences of longevity etc. I never have problems with either Nails Inc or OPI lasting but have yet to use a Leighton Denny that goes more than three days without needing 'mending'.
The gold Nails Inc magnetic is quite a subtle look (the other two are certainly not). I don't mind that, rather like it actually. Bright yellow gold doesn't really work on me, so a more subtle pretty look suits me fine. I am going to check out those Boots ones though …

I like the gold Nails Inc one too. I have the blue, purple and green ones from Boots and they're all gorgey, :sun:

Used my Nails inc today and very uninpressed. You really need to look close to see the effect at all. I used the Houses of parliament the purple one.

Thanks Beading Belle but I meant the separate magnets (star ones that jo106 was talking about).
I've already got the polishes. (3 Boots ones and 2 Nails Inc - so got all bases covered there.....)

Do a search on Ebay using search terms "LCN Magnetic", which should bring it up. You can google the same search term - there is a boutique online that stocks LCN polishes and they sell the magnetic polish and the separate magnets. Hope this helps.

How long did you hold the magnet over it for?

Nearly a minute I would say. There were no instructions on the bottle (well there was but in French and German) I didn't use a base coat and I painted one finger at a time. Only did 2 as I was very underwhelmed. Should I have done something differently?

Latest posts

Back