New Liz Earle Perfume

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Liz Earle Botanical Essence No. 9 50ml
http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.216639

Described as

A rich and warming handcrafted scent combining traditional chypre with succulent dark forest fruits. Enjoy this luxurious perfume when worn alone, or create your own customised scent by layering with other beautiful Liz Earle fragrances.

Top notes: blackcurrant bud, bergamot and red ginger to give a fresh, fruity, juicy, crisp and zesty result
Heart: osmanthus, Damask rose and patchouli to leave a spicy, floral, fruity, and sensual fragrance
Base notes: Haitian vetiver and oakmoss absolute vanilla to give a smoky, woody, warm, and rich finish

I wonder whether "blackcurrant bud" is blackcurranty? That plus vanilla and I'm getting a migraine just thinking about it...but I do like a chypre so I'd be interested to test it...just because!

I wonder when it'll launch.

It sounds interesting. I love chypre perfumes but if it`s real oakmoss and not synthetic then it is an ingredient which some people may be allergic to. It`s been removed from some perfumes because of that.

I would love to try it, bit again there is patchouli...:( My skin and patchouli aren't friends, really.

I used to love chypre perfumes back in the day.

Donna, do you remember Coty Chypre, late 70s early 8os possibly? It's long gone, but I bought a bottle in 1981 from a dusty old chemist shop in town, now also long gone.
It was only cheap, but smelled gorgeous, never to be found again. The nearest I found to it was Givenchy 111, the original not the poor thing it eventually became, I'm guessing because of the exclusion of real oakmoss ? but what do I know. :mysmilie_506:

It sounds interesting. I love chypre perfumes but if it`s real oakmoss and not synthetic then it is an ingredient which some people may be allergic to. It`s been removed from some perfumes because of that.

Actually oakmoss is not a common allergen but the perfume companies panic and removed it destroying many classics. It was like one in so many hundred thousand who might suffer a skin irritation and not even a major one, just some itching. All they had to do was put a sticker on the box saying contains oakmoss. They decided to use tree moss which is actually more likely to cause an allergic react. Oakmoss has never been banned or restricted and many niche houses still use it, they do not have a synthetic version for oakmoss. So you read oakmoss then its the real thing.

I wonder whether "blackcurrant bud" is blackcurranty? That plus vanilla and I'm getting a migraine just thinking about it...but I do like a chypre so I'd be interested to test it...just because!

I wonder when it'll launch.

No should be quite green, its not the fruit but the flower bud. Diptyque L'Ombre Dans L'Eau had it and its a very green fragrance which cuts the heady deep rose note.

I used to love chypre perfumes back in the day.

Donna, do you remember Coty Chypre, late 70s early 8os possibly? It's long gone, but I bought a bottle in 1981 from a dusty old chemist shop in town, now also long gone.
It was only cheap, but smelled gorgeous, never to be found again. The nearest I found to it was Givenchy 111, the original not the poor thing it eventually became, I'm guessing because of the exclusion of real oakmoss ? but what do I know. :mysmilie_506:

No sorry never tried that one. Its so famous as the first and how the name came about. Its not only oakmoss companies buy out and make cheaper so cheaper ingredients. This totally changes a perfume. I loved chypres before I even knew about them. Femme, but it has to be the vintage without the added cumin, its a sad sad thing compared to back then. Mitsouko which they took the oakmoss out of and put tree moss in. Guerlain then pulled their socks up and in the last number of years have really worked to bring it back to its glory. I have the 1913 edp which is really gorgeous, and a 30ml parfum tester with oakmoss still in it. Balmain Jolie Madam all leather, violets and oakmoss.

Actually oakmoss is not a common allergen but the perfume companies panic and removed it destroying many classics. It was like one in so many hundred thousand who might suffer a skin irritation and not even a major one, just some itching. All they had to do was put a sticker on the box saying contains oakmoss. They decided to use tree moss which is actually more likely to cause an allergic react. Oakmoss has never been banned or restricted and many niche houses still use it, they do not have a synthetic version for oakmoss. So you read oakmoss then its the real thing.

Sorry Donna but they do have a synthetic. I read somewhere ages ago that because of all the EU panic over oakmoss they were developing synthetics. This is just one link to such info https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/p-5960-oakmoss-g.aspx

Another Chypre fan here - will try it out in Boots first, never had much luck with fragrance off the telly ...

i lover chypre too the lizearle new fragance sounds nice. still dont rate the first as it smells like too many other perfumes

Went had a read of basenotes DIY section people making perfume. Yes synthetic oakmoss was mention but seems none use it. What they do use is real oakmoss as long as its under a per centage is allowed by the rules set. So I am going to guess that is what will be in the Liz Earle no9, they are all about the natural ingredients in the other perfumes in the range.

Love the look & colour of the bottle/box :)
Certainly looks like it will be a blackcurrant smell... lol!

I'm clueless about perfume "families" I just sniff and swab, and then decide if I like them (or they like me) or not....

A lot of perfumes which smell lovely on others smell totally rank on me - courtesy of different skin chemistry, I suppose.

I used to like the original Rochas "Femme"... Chanel No. 5, Paloma Picasso, Elizabeth Arden 5th Avenue, Liz Earle No. 1, White Company Noir, Chanel Chance Eau Vive, Issy Miyake L'Eau D'Issy, Davidoff Cool Water Woman, L'Occitane Notre Flore Myrte, Clarins Eau Dynamisante, Clarins Eau Ressourçante, L'Occitane Verveine, L'Occitane Calenques, Yves Saint Laurent Y, Crabtree & Evelyn La Source. So a fair amount of florals, some citrussy, some oceanic, but not a clue at all as to which families they sit in!

I've had some real disasters that smelled TERRIBLE on me, and ones I liked but couldn't live with when I wore them (Thierry Mugler Angel, Yves Saint Laurent Paris prominently spring to mind).

I'm clueless about perfume "families" I just sniff and swab, and then decide if I like them (or they like me) or not....

A lot of perfumes which smell lovely on others smell totally rank on me - courtesy of different skin chemistry, I suppose.

I used to like the original Rochas "Femme"... Chanel No. 5, Paloma Picasso, Elizabeth Arden 5th Avenue, Liz Earle No. 1, White Company Noir, Chanel Chance Eau Vive, Issy Miyake L'Eau D'Issy, Davidoff Cool Water Woman, L'Occitane Notre Flore Myrte, Clarins Eau Dynamisante, Clarins Eau Ressourçante, L'Occitane Verveine, L'Occitane Calenques, Yves Saint Laurent Y, Crabtree & Evelyn La Source. So a fair amount of florals, some citrussy, some oceanic, but not a clue at all as to which families they sit in!

I've had some real disasters that smelled TERRIBLE on me, and ones I liked but couldn't live with when I wore them (Thierry Mugler Angel, Yves Saint Laurent Paris prominently spring to mind).

Hah yes, same here.

Here`s a link to info on Y, according to this its a Chypre fruity
http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Yves-Saint-Laurent/Y-100.html

Yes it certainly is. I have two bottles of the edp(they discontinued this shortly before or after I bought my first bottle. So decided some years back to get a back up bottle which I did on Ebay), version and a parfum. It always reminds me of Mitsouko in the opening, its so feminine and elegant.

It was a family which went out of favour for a long time, but some houses are trying to revive it. Trouble is they use the word chypre but they are a modern interruption of a true classic chypre.

Latest posts

Back