NIOD is launching on QVC Beauty before the main Q Channel

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Just had an email from Victoria Health saying that they will no longer be stocking Deciem products! Didn't they launch in the UK on Victoria Health and Brandon was mentioned in nearly every newsletter, wonder what's going on?

I do not wish to extrapolate any further than to say that we will no longer be stocking any of the DECIEM products. If you are on a wait list then we will cancel your order with immediate effect, but please rest assured that we have not debited any monies from your account, which is in line with company policy of only debiting your account once the product has been processed and sent. We will sell through the products that are currently in stock.

At this point I will just say that I am so very sorry for any inconvenience caused.

My heartfelt thanks to those of you who have supported us and been on this journey for three years.

I was just about to post the same. What’s going on? Has Brandon fired Gill as well ?

Just when you thought we'd reached the bottom of the rabbit hole, there's more!

I thought I read only a short while ago that the relationship with Victoria Health would continue.

Is Brandon turning into the Donald Trump of the beauty world - seemingly running things from social media and making drastic changes on a whim?

Interview with Brandon here says Nicola Kilner was no longer with the company due to a disagreement over another longtime employee

https://www.thecut.com/2018/02/deciem-ceo-responds-to-company-turmoil-and-health-rumors.html

Aware of the detractors of his and the brand’s actions over the past few weeks, Truaxe flippantly replied that the recent news hasn’t hindered sales, and if anything that the chatter has increased them. (Could it be people snapping up products, fearful the brand will go under?)
Yes, I'm guilty of this, bought some of The Ordinary in the last couple of weeks.

Interview with Brandon here says Nicola Kilner was no longer with the company due to a disagreement over another longtime employee

https://www.thecut.com/2018/02/deciem-ceo-responds-to-company-turmoil-and-health-rumors.html

Estée Lauder, which holds a 28 percent minority stake in Deciem, has not yet commented publicly. Truaxe repeatedly insists Lauder is supportive: “I would never go and fight Leonard Lauder — he fully agrees with me.” But WWD spoke to a Lauder executive anonymously who explained, “They are quietly concerned and watching. They are trying to figure out what the hell is going on there and protect their investment. They’re trying to figure out what the hell is going on with this guy.”

In an interview yesterday, Truaxe confirmed that even more firings are likely to come. “We still have a few people who need to go — I can feel it,” he said. After confirming that co-CEO Nicola Kilner was no longer with the company due to a disagreement over another longtime employee, he defended his decisions, explaining, “It’s my company. It’s my house. If someone doesn’t like how I decorate my house it doesn’t matter if they’re my mother or a guest, they have to leave the house.”
Was Gill one of them I wonder, she couldn't say much in her email.

"have to leave the house". Sounds like a recipe for constructive dismissal right there! The company does have to follow employment law FGS.

"We still have a few people who need to go". I wonder if the first people hear of this is through the media.

What a way to run a business!

Haven’t been following this but from the snippets I have picked up it sounds like a nightmare.Who is the guest on Q with what I call the Haribo sweetie voice, is she in this mess?

Haven’t been following this but from the snippets I have picked up it sounds like a nightmare.Who is the guest on Q with what I call the Haribo sweetie voice, is she in this mess?

Yes she is, he fired Nicola.

Someone asked him on Instagram why Victoria Health were no longer selling Deciem products and his reply was
“Because I love Gill and love hurts sometimes”

?????

Attachments

• 30936FCD-B99B-47D3-8E17-30BB8DABD5BF.jpg
    30936FCD-B99B-47D3-8E17-30BB8DABD5BF.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 135
Someone asked him on Instagram why Victoria Health were no longer selling Deciem products and his reply was
“Because I love Gill and love hurts sometimes”

?????

He doesn't seem a nice person.
So is he going to say this to the many of his employees he was less than nice to, as well, that he hurt them because he loved them?
It seems that he hides behind these words 'I love you' that he uses a lot on social media.

Okay, never actually bought any of the brand they have a stand in my House of Fraser one for NIOD and the Ordinary. But reading this thread they owner sounds like he is having some sort mental health problems. Sacking people who have no doubt been with him from the start of the business and replying to questions with because I love whoever.

I can see Estee Lauder either moving in for the kill and just buying the brand out(hostile takeover), or dumping him and them all together.

This article explains how it all started on social media and is a good summary of the recent events

https://www.racked.com/2018/2/9/16987090/deciem-the-ordinary-brandon-truaxe-instagram-glassdoor

Kilner says Deciem hopes to have a new facility open in April, along with a second manufacturing facility to “cope with the demand” of The Ordinary. It also still plans to launch the Abnomoly line, a range featuring unusual products that defy categorization. Truaxe is also working on a separate project called Avestan, which Kilner says will feature fragrances that evoke journeys to different places.

I get that the whole concept of Deciem is supposed to be disruptive. It is disrupting in different ways in different parts of the beauty market. It's refreshing and exciting, and very attractive. It's particularly attractive when a brand like The Ordinary exposes just how much of a margin could be applied to the products we are buying (the formulations may not be the same, even if the headline active ingredients are).

Where it becomes a real turn-off is when someone seems to behaving like the business is their personal playground, and where the consequence of being questioning about what is happening is being sacked if you work for the company, or insulted and blocked if you are a customer and follower on social media.

Some people will look at the prices and say "who cares, the price is right" and that's absolutely their right. But every brand has a following who are drawn to the brand because it feels like them... so when the values of the company do not seem to reflect how they see themselves, they become alienated. All it needs is a "me too" company, which has the proposition of disruption, but has less wonky-seeming values and Deciem could find themselves in choppy waters.

They also need to make sure they don't forget that they need diversity in their team, and feeding into product development. In any market, you can't understand your customers if you deny them a voice.

We need companies like Deciem to keep the rest of the beauty market a bit more honest. But we also need companies that don't appear to be managed in a chaotic way - we want the products and the companies around to supply products customers have grown to love into the future.

Latest posts

Back