Northern Nights

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

srhgts

Registered Shopper
Does anyone have any general thoughts on NN as a brand? I'm in two minds about buying something from them after some mixed experiences. I bought two bedding sets before which are fantastic quality and feel lovely, (although they largely crease to buggery but that's my fault for not knowing not to buy 100% cotton.) The sheets are fabulous and don't crease but the quilt covers crinkle like nobody's business, and ironing does nothing to solve that. Obviously I'll avoid 100% cotton in future. The actual problem is the colour; after a couple of years my sateen sheet is really faded and discoloured. Is that normal for either NN or sateen? I mean I suppose it doesn't really matter as the sheet isn't seen, and it still feels great and is fine in every other way, but it's not exactly encouraging to have that happen. Also, I don't know if it's just 100% cotton or NN, I sheuspect the former, but I have to use benzoyl peroxide on my face at night because of acne, and it's stripped colour from parts of the bedding. Obviously I didn't know this or I would have avoided getting the BP anywhere near the bedding. I haven't found this with any other bedding I've ever used, it's all been completely fine with BP.
Because of the colour issues I've bought some new bedding in the sales, but want a new sheet and pillowcases as the bedding is taupe and I don't have a taupe sheet. There are four pillows on the bed and the quilt cover only came with two pillowcases. There's a set of NN taupe sateen sheet and two pillowcases which would be perfect. The discoloured sheet wasn't discoloured by the BP, it's totally different to the colour stripping elsewhere, so I'm not worried about having another sheet made of the same stuff on that score. Also the pillowcases would be for the bottom pillows so should be fine and not at risk of colour stripping. I suppose what I'm worried about is "just because" discolouration. The NN bedding is around 3 years old now but considering it's meant to be good quality stuff and was expensive, I really don't think that's long enough for it to last. It's a bed sheet, not something getting heavy use and abuse, for what they charge it really should last better than that.
So, any thoughts on whether I should buy from NN again/general views on the brand? Ideally I'd like to go for a cheaper brand but I do want sateen, so... Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

I don't think you'll find NN in anything other than 100% cotton. Mayfair Manor does easy care. Even the "crease defence" on last clicks is 100% cotton.

I only buy 100% cotton to sleep in unless it's winter and I'm in the cozee home stuff - I find the polycotton blends too harsh. In my own experience, I don't rate NN at all. Unless you love ironing, it is a disaster. Also, I think I read on here, when they give you the thread count they are counting both the warp and the weft threads, so it's not a direct comparison with the brands you find on the dreaded high street which are supposedly of lower quality because of their lower thread count. I'd take the bedding I've bought on the high street over the NN any day of the week... and it's not a nightmare on the crease front even without ironing.

I'd also be cautious about sateen bedding. I've had sateen in other brands and it can pill (not as badly as flannel, obviously, but still a nuisance).

i dont like nn cotton bedding at all. its cheap quality and not half as good as john lewis, christie, marks and spencer, sheridan et all. it creases because its cheaply manufactured, the same with the dyes used. horrible dull colours that fade.

the flannel i like but i have been lucky as there are a lot of complaints with that now.

pillows i have some that are 5 years old some were quite expensive but better than the newer pillows and the high street. but looking at the new pillows they dont look very well made.

if i were you i would go to the better department stores in the sales and buy your bedding there. or online if you know what you want

Thanks for that folks, think I'll steer clear of the NN then. Are there any brands anyone could recommend that do 100% cotton that doesn't crease or creases minimally?

I have Dorma which is good (I wouldn't recommend the sateen finish stuff), Bedeck Hotel range, Sheridan. White Company is quite good.

Generally though I agree that a good-quality well-known High Street offering is a very safe bet. Marks & Spencer, Debenhams, John Lewis are all good "go-to" shops for good quality own-brand products.

Latest posts

Back