Oh My Heart Bleeds

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Status
Not open for further replies.
She won the title of Miss Great Britain in 1984 so she must have mixed with lots of celebrities. To be fair to her I haven't heard her mention that.

I can understand both "sides" in this debate - everyone has, and has a right to, personal views. I do feel that sometimes these points of view are made too strongly and by having a go at individual posters.

My personal view is that stories of home life / celebs are amusing, can endear the presenter to me and put the product into context to increase sales - that's their job . However I find the mention of their possessions and purchasing abilities very boastful and distasteful.

I know this is an attempt to paint a lifestyle that we too could aspire to if we bought the product, but for me it's counter-productive and patronising. It's in the same category as telling us we can easily afford a low easy pay - "change down the back of the settee".

During times of recession it isn't the wisest thing for a person earning a very good salary to talk about what they can and cannot afford. A little bit of sensitivity towards those who may be much worse off, and indeed in danger of losing their job, wouldn't come amiss.
Frankly, I couldn't give the tiniest mouse sized shite about so-called celebrities and what they do/say/wear, and I think it's one of the major downsides of TV shopping channels that they constantly witter on about this ridiculous cult of celebrity and all the nonsense surrounding it. Oh for the days when a person had to actually have talent, literally, to be considered of celebrity status, instead of the exhibitionist, talentless non-entities we supposedly 'celebrate' today.

Couldn't agree more , Puss. It really saddens me to hear of so many young girls these days who aspire to be not doctors, teachers, lawyers, nurses etc but a "celebrity" or WAG with questionable talent,work or dedication.

Bags, I didn't think you were being nasty and I'm sorry that others decided to jump on you. It seems you can't say anything remotely critical of a presenter on this forum without people behaving like you're evil incarnate. I will continue to read the forum but unfortunately the Forum Police have put me off posting anything now. It's just not worth the hassle.

During times of recession it isn't the wisest thing for a person earning a very good salary to talk about what they can and cannot afford. A little bit of sensitivity towards those who may be much worse off, and indeed in danger of losing their job, wouldn't come amiss.
Frankly, I couldn't give the tiniest mouse sized shite about so-called celebrities and what they do/say/wear, and I think it's one of the major downsides of TV shopping channels that they constantly witter on about this ridiculous cult of celebrity and all the nonsense surrounding it. Oh for the days when a person had to actually have talent, literally, to be considered of celebrity status, instead of the exhibitionist, talentless non-entities we supposedly 'celebrate' today.

I totally agree. What I don't understand with shopping channels is that a vast majority of viewers (and certainly from looking at customers at last week's beauty bash) must be in their 30's-60's. Now I could understand teens being interested in what product some 'celeb' uses but how many older people are going to give a fig about it? With mortgages and bills to pay, families to raise, job worries etc, being concerned about what skin cream Cheryl Cole uses isn't likely to be high on the agenda :thinking:

Bags, I didn't think you were being nasty and I'm sorry that others decided to jump on you. It seems you can't say anything remotely critical of a presenter on this forum without people behaving like you're evil incarnate. I will continue to read the forum but unfortunately the Forum Police have put me off posting anything now. It's just not worth the hassle.

Thank you so very much for your message I really do appreciate that.
I have recieved lots of very kind messages of support and have responded to all of them.
I was commenting on the factual presentation of the jewellery, that's all.
It was pointed to me that the thread was pointless and I was being nasty, I'm not perfect I do take the comments on board.
The most important response to me though was that it was pointed out to me that Jill Franks was down to do the hour, that could explain things.
I started a thread regarding Claire presenting the same show later in the day, which I had intended to watch.
Unfortuately I only managed to catch the last section, which I very much enjoyed.
Thanks again
Bags

The presenters are damned if they do and damned if they don't.
They are classed as boring if they just talk about the products and are accused of showing off or similar if they talk about their home life.
It seems none of them can strike a happy medium.

I think Pipa strikes it well.

I didn't think the post by Bags was remotely nasty either. 'My heart bleeds' may be considered a bit sarky but so what?? and I can understand why that response was made to DG's vacuous plea. There are a couple of of fms always ready to leap on others and accuse them of being 'nasty' and they have their little band of followers who thank them every time they do so. Don't let them deter you from posting Boycie as I'm sure they will be jumped on themselves by Admin if they persist with their attempts to police the forum and put people off from voicing their opinions.

I think Pipa strikes it well.

I will never ever forget Pipa saying one thing.

We were on holiday at the time and had come inside popping on the tv with QVC on.

We weren't really sat watching but heard she had said something and we were all in total shock, but still were unsure what we had actually heard.

It was she'd moved house, gone on holiday to Turkey and just come back to be told they had found her black Lab for her that like most we never thought at the time she'd ever see again.

For those who don't know her dog was taken from the back garden of her old house at 8 weeks old and this was now about 18 months later.

For us this was very moving as before coming away on holiday we had been looking for a yellow Lab, to be our own Ben.
Neverless after that the dog we would choose was going to be chipped, just as soon as possible.

:sun:

Last edited:

Puss I totally agree with your post as I was going to say something similar!! Great minds think alike!! I like many thousands of others have had very serious financial problems, not to mention personal problems (which I have mentioned in the Drop) and I don't need to hear how they can't afford a 1-1/2 ct diamond ring!! AND BEFORE ANYONE SAYS IT, I AM NOT JEALOUS!! I think some of the presenters should think before they open their gob, I presume they don't get much time before they go on air so I appreciate it can be difficult.

I didn't think the post by Bags was remotely nasty either. 'My heart bleeds' may be considered a bit sarky but so what?? and I can understand why that response was made to DG's vacuous plea. There are a couple of of fms always ready to leap on others and accuse them of being 'nasty' and they have their little band of followers who thank them every time they do so. Don't let them deter you from posting Boycie as I'm sure they will be jumped on themselves by Admin if they persist with their attempts to police the forum and put people off from voicing their opinions.

I am one of the forum members who thanked loveheart for her post, because I agreed with the sentiments. I dont think the original poster was being intentionally nasty but there are always posts on here about presenters going on about their possesions and that is annoying and un-necessary but to then complain about someone saying they " cant" afford something to me does smack of presenter bashing for the sake of it. I have no problem with people expressing their view but no one should expect everyone to agree with them

I do not consider myself as "policing the forum" by stating my opinion or thanking someone for a post I agree with. We all have different opinionss and we are all eintitled to express them but to accuse people of trying to police the forum because they dont agree with someones view is counter productive to an honest discussion. There have been a number of threads lately that I have wanted to post on but havent because my view is clearly not the same as some of the more prolific posters and I felt that if i did say what i wanted then I would find myself being accused of "policing " the forum. I have howver decided to post on this thread because i am just as eintitled to MY opinion and just because it may differ from other forum members does not make it wrong nor does it mean I am trying to influence peoples view or dissuade them from posting. This constant accusation of people trying to police the forum has actually stopped me and I suspect others from posting because our view is different to those members flinging the policing accusation around

Please feel free to all shout me down i am a big girl and can take it:grin: bit please dont take offence if I then re post to defend myself

When I posted on this thread there had already been other posters saying that this thread was pontless etc. I didn't even agree with those posters I was only putting my views on here as to the reason I thought those posters had said what they did. I am entitled to my opinion, I haven't said anything about the OP or this thread that would warrent someone thinking that I am policing this forum.
If I post something that someone doesn't agree with then so be it.

I am one of the forum members who thanked loveheart for her post, because I agreed with the sentiments. I dont think the original poster was being intentionally nasty but there are always posts on here about presenters going on about their possesions and that is annoying and un-necessary but to then complain about someone saying they " cant" afford something to me does smack of presenter bashing for the sake of it. I have no problem with people expressing their view but no one should expect everyone to agree with them

I do not consider myself as "policing the forum" by stating my opinion or thanking someone for a post I agree with. We all have different opinionss and we are all eintitled to express them but to accuse people of trying to police the forum because they dont agree with someones view is counter productive to an honest discussion. There have been a number of threads lately that I have wanted to post on but havent because my view is clearly not the same as some of the more prolific posters and I felt that if i did say what i wanted then I would find myself being accused of "policing " the forum. I have howver decided to post on this thread because i am just as eintitled to MY opinion and just because it may differ from other forum members does not make it wrong nor does it mean I am trying to influence peoples view or dissuade them from posting. This constant accusation of people trying to police the forum has actually stopped me and I suspect others from posting because our view is different to those members flinging the policing accusation around

Please feel free to all shout me down i am a big girl and can take it:grin: bit please dont take offence if I then re post to defend myself
I wasn't referring to you as one of the 'police' and you should always feel free to post your opinion whatever it may be, just as Bags did. Hopefully you won't be called nasty though.....

I've said it before but want to say it again......

Some have more than us and some have less - that's just a fact of life. Just because someone talks about their life doesn't mean they are trying to show off or rub our noses in it. They may just be talking naturally about their lives. How we view their comments sometimes reflects more about how we see ourselves rather than their intentions.

I saw the title of this thread and thought it did seem mean. No, the poster may not have meant it that way but that is how I received it; others read it in another way. I even thought about posting something to this effect at the time but was put off be the possible "backlash" - looks like I was right :sad:

It's an open forum so we can all post our opinions and it is interesting to hear what others think but I do find some comments to be a bit mean - do they really have to be so?

I wasn't referring to you as one of the 'police' and you should always feel free to post your opinion whatever it may be, just as Bags did. Hopefully you won't be called nasty though.....

I'm guessing you must mean me then and at no time did I call bags nasty.

Well, here goes – put myself up as the whipping boy!!

I love this forum, gives me something to do when at a loose end, I've learned a lot (especially about QVC presenters!), had loads of laughs at brilliant threads, been bored to tears by others. Discovered people with interesting stories to tell, people with sad stories to tell and been reminded that nothing in life should be taken for granted.

I love the anonymity – most of us know nothing about each other. There's no racism, sex or ageism, north/south divide etc. It's great!

I don't feel I can't express my views for fear of attack, it's a forum FGS and your talking through a keyboard, what's the point of allowing something so trivial to affect you personally. The accusation of cliques are suported by similarly minded people which in turn becomes a "clique" itself.

Some posts are a bit over the top on occasions, but some reactions can be condescending and patronising which is equally as unpleasant. :rain:

This me just voicing my opinion about several recent threads and any similarity to forumites alive or dead is purely coincidental!

I think we are probably getting frustrated with the presenters on QVC and other channels because they are rarely presenting products we would actually like to buy these days – certainly applies to me!!

I thanked Loveheart, so does that make me a member of the Forum Police? Many others on here thank their friends for posts, including you.... So does that make you a member of a little band of followers to your own friends? You can`t have it both ways....... I will thank who I want, just as everyone else does, including you PPC :bandit:

Last edited:
Nah, Loveheart, it was me who said it was pointless and nasty because that's what I felt it to be. I'm not policing anyone, I'm expressing my opinion. I'm not boo-hooing because my comments have riled some forum members, I'm not going to apologise either: I am entitled to express my opinion, and that's what I did. I am rather surprised at how thin skinned some people appear to be, it seems they're happy to dish it out but not so happy to be criticised themselves.

I also think it's a shame that some people feel gagged if their opinion goes against the perceived consensus on the forum. Really, who cares if a bunch of strangers get wound up because of something you said? By tomorrow it's all forgotten anyway as we move on to the next slapping/ wittering/ P&P saga!

Cheers, CountessK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back