OH, Pleeeeease !

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Absolutely true Andi. My best friend since teens went into hairdressing and beauty on leaving school, and she's terrified of anything to do with a computer now and leaves it to her daughter and grandkids. So those who went into the 'hands on' careers, or retail, factory or nursing (which were the 4 main choices back then, aside from clerical) were at a disadvantage as technology and the digital age progressed. Equally, those in my class in senior school and who did typing with me are all now regulars on a fortnightly Zoom call !

Mind you, I refuse to get involved with on-line banking, but that's another story.

Yes, I remember the electric typewriter which connected to the small box computer screen you typed then hit print for it to appear on the paper. Or just use it like a normal electric typewriter. This was back in the 80s.

I do online banking but only on my laptop at home, I refuse to download the app to my phone. You can check your account anytime you want, I like to make sure direct debits come out. For some reason, I don't trust doing banking on my mobile. I know friends who do not and will not use direct debits to pay bills.

My biggest fear of online banking (aside from hacking) is what happens if my pc crashes during a transaction ? I know sometimes I can type a long text or whatever, I might inadvertently touch a key on the keyboard and the whole lot has ****** disappeared - and I don't know what key I touched to do that ! So text are just words, but money ??? nooooooo. Equally I don't use direct debits either. I pay all my bills by cheque - and to me if it ain't broken ..............

No, I've never seen to be charged. I leave a monthly cheque for my milkman, Unless its included into the bill I've never seen an add-on by the utilities for a separate charge. I pay all my craft stall fees by cheque. Tradespeople that have done jobs around the house are happy to be paid by cheque - although most prefer cash ! And I send cheques through the post for nieces and nephews birthdays.

I do all my banking online and do bank transfers etc. I do still get cash out though from an ATM to use for smaller purchases in shops. I use my debit card for larger purchases. I have yet to use my contactless bank card because, knowing me, I’d probably wave the card around too much and pay for something more than once. 😉

I usually ask if I can pay workmen in cash, if it’s a small job, and it often means that they knock a bit off the price. 😉 Failing that, they get a cheque and the bank has never charged me for that.

I do have a cheque book and two years back when I bought Freya the breeder asked for a cheque. I phoned my bank to ask was it okay to use my cheque book as it was years old? I was told yes, it was okay.

I remember way back I went to pay for food in M&S and signed the cheque then filled in the amount at the till. They actually made me sign again to check the signature was the same. So lesson, do not lean on the trolley and sign a cheque.

I've never been refused from paying cash in a store. Its money and if they don't accept then its a lost sale ! and now with the cost of living crisis retailers cant afford to be too ****** fussy, they'll be glad of any sale when the time comes.

I really don’t like paying for anything under £5 by card . I think they will take coins just not notes. I suppose it’s to do with dodgy notes but coins are very expensive for a business to bank so I thought all cash would have been more sensible.

My biggest fear of online banking (aside from hacking) is what happens if my pc crashes during a transaction ? I know sometimes I can type a long text or whatever, I might inadvertently touch a key on the keyboard and the whole lot has ****** disappeared - and I don't know what key I touched to do that ! So text are just words, but money ??? nooooooo. Equally I don't use direct debits either. I pay all my bills by cheque - and to me if it ain't broken ..............
If the transaction hadn’t completed - you’d see some of final screen shot saying so - and in the unlikely event your P.C. crashed (does it do that a lot?) midway through, it just wouldn’t go through...

There are so many layers of security now on online banking and the app’s, it’s pretty safe...
You usually have to use a one-time code as well as password etc now even to log on, and often for individual transactions.

Of course it is open to fraud etc but in the absence of high-street banks (or being housebound or for convenience), I can’t imagine not doing internet banking.

You can even pay in a cheque now via bank apps - so clever just take a photo on phone and enter some details and it’s paid on!
So clever.

All the people I know in their early 70’s are very computer literate and not sure any of them did typing?

Certainly savvy and/or interested enough to manage doing emails and basic stuff on Windows etc.
Plus phones/apps now are so easy and intuitive to use, it’s easy to have a go...

Plus they’d have struggled to do their careers before retirement without using computer? (Inc nurses and similar jobs).

My neighbours though, who don’t even own a computer, have no desire to go online which I can’t get my head around esp to communicate with grandkids etc.

Think not to be computer literate nowadays is a massive disadvantage and there is help out there.

My worry is for those who can’t afford to have the technology or even the internet connection, especially school children :(

I do all my banking online and do bank transfers etc. I do still get cash out though from an ATM to use for smaller purchases in shops. I use my debit card for larger purchases. I have yet to use my contactless bank card because, knowing me, I’d probably wave the card around too much and pay for something more than once. 😉

I usually ask if I can pay workmen in cash, if it’s a small job, and it often means that they knock a bit off the price. 😉 Failing that, they get a cheque and the bank has never charged me for that.
I'm a till supervisor and I can reassure you that it is impossible to pay for a transaction more than once no matter how often you wave your card over the reader, once the transaction is complete.

I did have a situation though when a young mum laid her card on the reader to pay while she was distracted by her toddler, and forgot to take it.
The next customer had her items scanned and asked to pay by card, the assistant hit card payment on the till screen, and the payment was taken off the forgotten card that hadn't been noticed still laying on the card reader.
I had to refund back to the card and then spent ages on hold trying to phone the card provider to explain what happened.

While we hare happy to take coins or notes personally I wish everyone would pay by card so I didn't have to spend ages every night counting money and trying to balance the tills and the safe and there would be no incentive for the thieving scrotes to break into the store and do thousands of pounds worth of damage to steal a few hundred quid out of the safe.

I really don’t like paying for anything under £5 by card . I think they will take coins just not notes. I suppose it’s to do with dodgy notes but coins are very expensive for a business to bank so I thought all cash would have been more sensible.

Me too LATI. That's why I like to carry cash. All those little odd amounts under a fiver like my daily paper and a loaf I pay cash. Equally when I'm scanning my end of month statement its much easier to remember large amounts that have been spent, but who remembers paying lots and lots of small sums like £3.98 three weeks ago in some obscure corner shop.

My local chippie and Chinese are cash only, regardless of the amount, and my Indian only take cards over £10. They are all within yards of each other. There is also a pizza, but neve been in there.

I pay by card for almost everything else so these takeaway's policies are very inconvemient for me.

If the transaction hadn’t completed - you’d see some of final screen shot saying so - and in the unlikely event your P.C. crashed (does it do that a lot?) midway through, it just wouldn’t go through...

There are so many layers of security now on online banking and the app’s, it’s pretty safe...
You usually have to use a one-time code as well as password etc now even to log on, and often for individual transactions.

Of course it is open to fraud etc but in the absence of high-street banks (or being housebound or for convenience), I can’t imagine not doing internet banking.

You can even pay in a cheque now via bank apps - so clever just take a photo on phone and enter some details and it’s paid on!
So clever.
I've just had a new phone and whilst all my apps have transferred over I've still had to go through entering my password and then answering emails and entering codes etc.
Sworn it's the last time I will get a new phone, not that I object to doing it but it's such a hassle.

Latest posts

Back