OH, Pleeeeease !

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I get what everyone’s said, and I do wonder about Q’s motives in bringing it up, but in general i do think that it being talked about regularly so that it becomes more understood and less taboo is a good thing, and I’m all for it.
I’ll get my tin hat….🫤
Hey, I think that tin hat is mine and not just on this post :LOL:

Yes, on reflection, I think it is a good thing that these things are talked about (remember at school in the 70's when some girls had no idea why they were bleeding and thought they were dying?) I'm not a fan though of people like Davina McCall (sorry if that's wrong spelling) who isn't a doctor and who isn't anyone really apart from a gushing TV presenter telling us all about how to cope. Eh? We all know you're just a mouth for the money D. Let's get Doris from No 59 down our road to talk to us. We would take a lot more notice.

CC

I get what everyone’s said, and I do wonder about Q’s motives in bringing it up, but in general i do think that it being talked about regularly so that it becomes more understood and less taboo is a good thing, and I’m all for it.
I’ll get my tin hat….🫤
I’m with you on this. Really pleased to have more information and understanding of the symptoms especially in the workplace. We’ll need a tin tent

I’ll get my tin hat….🫤

Not at all. We have to talk about 'stuff', but I don't think the menopause has been a taboo subject in recent years, in fact I think us baby boomers have talked about things far more than our Mums generation ever did. I mean, the word 'penis' has been mentioned on a regular occurrence since the Trans debate took off, and honestly ? it was a word that I barely uttered along with clitoris. It all seemed terribly rude somehow.

I stopped menstruating at age 42 and I too felt so free without the monthlies. HRT at the time was getting a lot of publicity, so even though I didn't need it, I heard it improved your hair - although finding there was horses urine in it put me off a bit. Anyway, 6 months later I was diagnosed with Lupus and immediately taken off it, as it was discovered that HRT exacerbated the Lupus symptoms. So its not a panacea for all things.

I’m with you on this. Really pleased to have more information and understanding of the symptoms especially in the workplace. We’ll need a tin tent
PS mine hasn’t been great. Had to battle with my GP to get HRT - taking that meant I could function again. Maybe I am paying the penance for no PMT and periods that were no bother whatsoever

As I have said a number of times, I sailed through mine. I had a dodgy thyroid and on tablets and for some reason just felt a little hot for like 20 seconds and that was it. My doctor did not give HRT unless he considered you really needed it. A friend took a vitamin Black Cobash (sp) something from Holland and Barrett. I remember going in and asking about it? The woman there asked my symptoms and when I said she told me I did not need it. She had customers who had to get up in the middle of the night to change the bedclothes, they sweated so much with hot flushes. I did not officially start my menopause until 53 or 54, and I was a very happy bunny indeed. I had periods from hell, I bled for the first 3 days like a slaughterhouse, and this is from age 11. I used to have to use a disabled toilet if out as it was like a serial killer had been at work changing a Super Plus Tampon and pad. My hands covered in blood, changing in the toilet I had to be able to wash my hands straight away in the basin in disabled toilets. Years later it was discovered I had fibroids, by then calcified.

As a child in the sixties, I always heard older women talking about what they called the change you also got the big operation info. They talked openly to each other about these back then older woman had no filter on such things. There was no HRT back then either.

I so agree with donna255 - there was this mysterious ‘change’ whispered by our mothers and their friends - it was all hushed tones and appeared, to me, something to be ashamed about - they all went silent when I appeared (as if I didn’t notice).

Yes it is good to talk about what occurs - we are all different and need different solutions.
Talk about the menopause QVC but refrain from making money the most important aspect (unrealistic I know). Davina and her ilk have the money to get “Personalised” treatments which the ordinary viewer cannot afford.

I had a hysterectomy as I had endometriosis and had the most painful periods. Floored me they did. They would not give me HRT as my Grannie had died of breat cancer. So I was an instant menopause as well. Just had to get on with it as no one would give me anything to help. To me it is not something for a shopping channel to make money on.

As someone who had the dubious pleasure of going through menopause twice, I find the sudden "discovery" of menopause by the media incredibly irritating. Beyond the media, all the slebs who have jumped on the bandwagon and then start pontificating as if they have superior knowledge of this phase in life pee me off big time.
Big companies treat women as fools and cash cows. Pregnancy - merch it. Breast cancer - merch it. Menopause - oooh NEW merching opportunity!
I so agree with donna255 - there was this mysterious ‘change’ whispered by our mothers and their friends - it was all hushed tones and appeared, to me, something to be ashamed about - they all went silent when I appeared (as if I didn’t notice).

Yes it is good to talk about what occurs - we are all different and need different solutions.
Talk about the menopause QVC but refrain from making money the most important aspect (unrealistic I know). Davina and her ilk have the money to get “Personalised” treatments which the ordinary viewer cannot afford.
It was like Cissie and Ada from TV.

It was like Cissie and Ada from TV.
Yes, the change and giving in great detail the systems.

Then the big operation with details. Back in the day, they used to whip out female wombs at the mere hint of heavy periods. My mum had her womb whipped out in her early 40s, I was born when she was 39 and have this strange memory of my dad taking me to see her in hospital when I was 3 or 4. When she came home, a nurse used to visit.

I totally get how it's a good thing to talk about, periods, menopause, leaky bladders etc etc, but it really doesn't have to be trendified! Some years ago I noticed that my "Always" pads came in wrappings decorated with words like "Egg", "woman" "nature" "cycle" with little hearts and kisses....ffs! All I wanted back in the day was for the vat to be removed from sanitary protection and to pay less for the buggers. I couldn't care less how they were packaged. Anyway, my workplace now leaves a stock of sanitary products for people to use which I think is brilliant. Again echoing what we've all been saying, it should not be toted as a lifestyle choice, or a chance to make money!

:unsure: Ummmmm, I'll have to think about that one........... 🤭🤭🤭 What sort of world are we living in ?

Walking my dog today I passed an infant school where all the tots were screaming and having fun in the playground. I suddenly had the thought of what their world would look like when they too get to 70.
Who cares tbh. It'll probably just be the cockroaches & Ophelia D 'lovin' it,lovin' it,lovin' it...'

Latest posts

Back