OMG on fire

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I wonder where Tefal would stand if a customer injured/burnt themselves trying to put out the fire, surely they could be looking at quite a large potential lawsuit, also what if it went on to cause a house fire?

Well I phoned Tefal this morning. Customer(?) service told me that the fryer could not catch fire because the black smoke blocked any visible flames. She acknowledged there had been a problem with the Actifry and I could pay to have it repaired (yeah right) but they could not help as it was out of guarantee. She also said that the woman stating that her kitchen had been damaged (internet story)was making it up as no way could it cause a fire. She went on (reading from a script I think) that the fryer was perfectly safe and they state in the instructions that it should never be left unattended. I consider that phone call a complete and utter waste of time and my money. Also phoned Amazon who said that they guarantee electrical goods for one year. BUMMER. So to all those who use and love their Actrify make sure you never leave it unattended when in use. Back to the frying pan now!!

You are still covered under the sales of goods act like i have told you.

An item should last a reasonable amount of time, becasue these cost well over £100 it should last a few years and not catch fire.

Because of the reported incudents the Actifry has an inherent fault, so you are entitled to a replacement/repair/partial or full refund.

http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

Key Facts:
• Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

Don't give up so easily, Norfolk Dumpling!.......take it to trading standards and get them to write to Tefal stating it was a danger to your health. Take photos and send them to Tefal, DON'T send the Actifry back to them if they ask, otherwise it's your word against theirs.

Last edited:
Just spoke to local trading standards office. They are going to e-mail me a template letter to send off to Amazon stating that under the sale of goods act they are liable for replacement or refund. He also took the phone number for Amazon and is going to pass all details to Trading Standards head office. He was of the opinion that Tefal should recall these Actifrys as they are dangerous. He was a very helpful man and seemed quite appalled that tefal know these are potentially dangerous but have done nothing about recalling them. So we shall have to wait and see now. Thanks again Deanos

told me that the fryer could not catch fire because the black smoke blocked any visible flames.

Well that's a comfort :rolleyes:

I would have called Consumer Direct too

BTW are the chips really good done in this cos the ones I see on the telly look really awful

Yes chips are good (never will taste like deep fried ones) but you have to use the right potatoes ie. king edwards or maris piper

Just a quick update - just had a phone call from Trading Standards. They are appalled that Tefal are still selling something that is known to be dangerous so they will be getting in touch with them and they are also reporting Amazon to their local TS office because they are responsible under the Sale of Goods Act

Looking forward to any further updates on this. I am so nervous whenever I use mine. I called Tefal customer services when I first heard about the problem but they just advised to carry on using it since they did not consider a recall to be necessary.

tefal actifry

Very interesting comments about the Actifry! I too have concerns about this appliance that I bought from IW and Annette Baker Malpas when it was first introduced.
I soon had problems with the lid becoming brittle due to the heat and the tabs snapped off so it wouldn't stay closed. Tefal replaced the lid and also, at my request, sent me the improved paddle with the grey clip-down mechanism.
Unfortunately,one year on and the lid problem recurred and one side tab snapped off and the paddle has become impossible to clean, even in the dishwasher, I have given up on this this fryer, its too risky and was IMO prematurely marketed at relatively a high price without due care being given to the potential dangers involved.

The chips are not that good anyway and we should be given the opportunity to return the faulty item for a partial refund at the very least.http://forum.shoppingtelly.com/foru...hoppingtelly.com/forum/images/icons/icon5.gif

I e-mailed BBC Watchdog last night saying that the problem with the Actifry is still on going. I am not going to let this go now - the next step will be local media. I'm not one to make a fuss usually but this has bugged me.

Hi,

Have Tefal changed the design to make it safer? If so, can anyone tell me how I would know if I've got the old model or the updated version.

TIA, MaryA

I don't believe that they have made any modifications. If they had wouldn't that mean a recall on previous models?

The problem was featured on a consumer programme some time ago but nothing more was heard.

Hi,

Have Tefal changed the design to make it safer? If so, can anyone tell me how I would know if I've got the old model or the updated version.

TIA, MaryA

Mine has the paddle that clips and locks down. Don't know if its a newer model or not if that helps

My Actifry also caught fire just before Christmas. Sounds exactly the same scenario as yours, Norfolk - it had only been on a couple of minutes when flames and acrid black smoke started pouring out of it. Luckily my husband was in the kitchen so very quickly put the fire out. I dread to think what would have happened if it had been left unattended.

We had only had it just over a year and it was only used once a week at most. We bought it from John Lewis who replaced it without quibble - I wasn't sure I wanted another but they wouldn't give a refund. I sent a letter both to JL and Tefal detailing what happened, but never got any replies. It was obvious from the returned unit that it had been on fire as it was all scorched so Tefal would have trouble denying that.
I urge anyone with an Actifry to use it with extreme caution and never leave it unattended.

I am now really worried as both my Sons bought one so they could throw some chips in to cook while they went off to have a shower after work. I have told them about this thread and never to leave thiers unattended

Latest posts

Back