One-hit wonders!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

What about Wish Pearls?! I never liked the whole idea of opening the tin to find the preserved mollusc and prodding around in the meat with the plastic spatula to find the pearl within. Never seemed in any way magical to me. But the website claims, 'Wish pearl jewelry is so special! You never know what color pearl you will get until you make a wish, break open the oyster and discover a genuine freshwater pearl inside! What better way to treat yourself or show a loved one just how much you care, than with a pearl in oyster necklace that symbolizes beauty, purity and innocence.'
I wasn't a one hit wonder as I remember it repeating but (aside from the nasty cage style jewellery itself) it just never never appealed in any way

What about Wish Pearls?! I never liked the whole idea of opening the tin to find the preserved mollusc and prodding around in the meat with the plastic spatula to find the pearl within. Never seemed in any way magical to me. But the website claims, 'Wish pearl jewelry is so special! You never know what color pearl you will get until you make a wish, break open the oyster and discover a genuine freshwater pearl inside! What better way to treat yourself or show a loved one just how much you care, than with a pearl in oyster necklace that symbolizes beauty, purity and innocence.'
I wasn't a one hit wonder as I remember it repeating but (aside from the nasty cage style jewellery itself) it just never never appealed in any way

I suppose it's a novel idea in some ways. Not very practical though. Imagine going out to a restaurant for an anniversary meal and producing a can: "Look what I've bought for you, darling! A can with an oyster in it!" I think most ladies would just prefer the jewellery, not prodding around some sodding oyster in the hope that they might find a pearl.

The stylish Nubrella which is, surprisingly, no longer sold by QVC.

828451-4.jpg

828451-2.jpg

QVC (UK) used to sell Kevin Trudeau's Mega Memory course. He appeared on-air as a guest several times and has a colourful past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Trudeau

Ah yes, that was AGES ago - when I was a kid. I was trying to remember his name - but I forgot it! You can tell I didn't buy his memory course. I'd actually like to get a good book on memory. I have a weird memory. I speak several languages and understand complex laws that apply to my work, yet I will forget my shopping list that I wrote out. Yet I remember random conversations and telephone numbers from 20 years ago - just as though they were yesterday!

Wow! I've just read his biog. He does seem quite the shyster! I think he'd have done well as a shopping telly presenter!

Last edited:
The stylish Nubrella which is, surprisingly, no longer sold by QVC.

828451-4.jpg

828451-2.jpg

They actually used to sell those? Seriously?! Brilliant! Though I can't quite see them catching on. They'd probably be good as "phonedomes" to help avoid inflicting your telephone conversations on people in public.

Speaking of spatulas does anyone remember that toilet "brush,"

I remember that demonstration with raspberry jam! It was done by that awful little man and I felt sorry for the presenter when he kept rabbiting on about everyone needing one to clean up certain things in the toilet! It's not on sale anymore but a very similar one by Ecoegg is there and a selling point is that it hangs up!!

I remember that demonstration with raspberry jam! It was done by that awful little man and I felt sorry for the presenter when he kept rabbiting on about everyone needing one to clean up certain things in the toilet! It's not on sale anymore but a very similar one by Ecoegg is there and a selling point is that it hangs up!!

I can't stand that horrid little man. He's usually seen squeezing ketchup and sauces over a carpet tile so as to demonstrate the effectiveness of whatever product he's touting that day. He's like a fusion of that rasping gnome, a door-to-door salesman and former weatherman and pervert Fred Talbot.
I suppose in some ways that guest is like raspberry jam himself. Some people find him sweet and others, seedy.

I can't stand that horrid little man. He's usually seen squeezing ketchup and sauces over a carpet tile so as to demonstrate the effectiveness of whatever product he's touting that day. He's like a fusion of that rasping gnome, a door-to-door salesman and former weatherman and pervert Fred Talbot.
I suppose in some ways that guest is like raspberry jam himself. Some people find him sweet and others, seedy.

It’s just his presenting style, a bit old fashioned. He reminds me of years ago when I used to go to the Ideal Home Exhibition with Mum. The place was awash with men and women like him, all demonstrating weird and wonderful household gadgets that we never saw in shops.

It’s just his presenting style, a bit old fashioned. He reminds me of years ago when I used to go to the Ideal Home Exhibition with Mum. The place was awash with men and women like him, all demonstrating weird and wonderful household gadgets that we never saw in shops.

And never worked when you got them home and if by some miracle it did work you could never get it again. I remember having to pay extortionate entry fee to get in to buy again the following year only to find it was the first time in years it hadn’t been sold.

I was always a sucker for the demos no matter how many times I was sold a pup. Maybe that’s why I was hooked on Q in the early day’s.

And never worked when you got them home and if by some miracle it did work you could never get it again. I remember having to pay extortionate entry fee to get in to buy again the following year only to find it was the first time in years it hadn’t been sold.

I was always a sucker for the demos no matter how many times I was sold a pup. Maybe that’s why I was hooked on Q in the early day’s.

I was just the same (still am)

Me too! I'm not allowed anywhere near the Ideal Home Exhibition or similar; I always really want the miracle product to be THE ONE! - exactly what drew me into watching shopping TV. I stayed with my sister in Canada in 1990/91 and spent half a day glued to a looping infomercial for a fruit dehydrator (my excuse was jet lag) and I couldn't wait for QVC to launch over here. The move to brand names has ruined the format for me; I loved all those weird and wacky gizmos imported from abroad along with their slick presentation and buzz words:

"But wait!" "Buy now and we'll supersize it!"

Good times!

Kitchen gadgets and stationery are my weakness (not counting jewellery and bags which don’t really count in my book) and lately up cycling garden bits.

Julius, That is the most succinct description of a guest on the Q I've ever read. In fact it may be the best description I've read of anyone I've ever seen on television because I could name him just from your words.

Cripes, that's going back a bit!

Latest posts

Back